Earth Hour 2019

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Joshua Tree, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I just found out this happened yesterday. I've heard of the event before, but either I'm out of the loop or it's not very well publicised. Did you hear about it or take part? It seems to be a massive uphill struggle to get governments around the world to seriously address the climate and environmental crisis we are living through. It still feels to me like environmentalists are outsiders knocking on the door of the political establishment, and they're not paying much attention. More like re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Homepage

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Takes more power repowering the ectectrix system that it does to keep it running for an hour.

Change my mind.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There were roughly 14000 humans born in that hour

Average global death is just under 1/2 that, around 6500 deaths in that hour, I assume most of them forgot to turn the lights off.

Leaving a net total of 7500 extra new humans just in that hour

Average life span of 78 years is 683, 748 hours. 683, 748 x 7500 = 5,128,110,00

Youd need 5.1 billion people to not use any power for that hour to compensate for the lifetime power consumption of those 7500 extra humans that exist just during earth hour

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

So dumb

And started by Australia by the sounds of it, and my city, Sydney no less ugh

Which is city that two months later holds the Vivid festival, where they shine pretty lights over all the city buildings for two weeks

[​IMG]

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

yes, but only because there was a thread about it yesterday. nobody mentions it in the real world.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  6. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

Well I'm not a physicist so I don't really know. But my guess is that no power stations would have had to completely shut down, then power up from scratch. So I would imagine some token reduction in carbon omissions occurred. The other side of it is the symbolism of the event. Getting people to understand that we need to preserve the finite resources we have on this planet.

granite45 and Asmodean like this.
  7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Some people choose to be in denial about this apparently. That or they are ok with riding it out themselves and don't give a shit about the future generations (as China's pollution and the increasing world population renders every attempt meaningless its better to just give in and keep going as we were taught. At least we have a fun life then right!? Selfishness and apathy is pretty nasty)

granite45 likes this.
  8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Once the age of humanity is finally gone, nature will reclaim everything. You can see this in abandoned cities where nature comes back.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Are you saying you applaud human self destruction through overpollution?

10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

It does take more energy to send power though a circuit than to power the circuit 24/7. The initial surge is a lot compared to the small power needed for that second but it's not at all at the level of what Irm suggests.

Like you leave a light on for an hour it's cheaper than if you flipped the switch 100 times in an hour by a small degree.

There is a net gain not using power for an hour. The real stress is on the electric item getting a surge of power not on the gird as a whole.

shylass365 likes this.
  11. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

OMG...This all misses the point. Of course turning out the lights is a trivial change in electricity consumption for an hour...but there is a very large need for the education of a large percentage of the US population. The disgraceful rantings of Trump and Republicans indicate that we need a lot this type of publicity. It’s baffling how such unscientific malarky has gained traction in this country.

Joshua Tree and unfocusedanakin like this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I am actually surprised it took so long for someone to mention Trump in this thread

13. I didn’t celebrate earth hour. I choose not to.
    I know people that do celebrate it though.