E-books or paper?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by fem_fatale, Jan 13, 2018.

1. I read at every opportunity. I do have a set reading time before bed but squeeze in a chapter or so if I have any free time during the day.

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Anything good to recommend that you have read lately?

3. How the World Thinks by Julian Baggini
    it's basically a global look at philosophy and its history and the similarities and difference between different regions e.g. Japan, China, India and also the western world obviously.

4. ~Zen~

That seems like a worthy suggestion!

I am always surprised at the depth and scope of people's book shelves.

Recently there has been an escapist theme to my reading of science fiction space operas. Not a fan of the apocalyptical type of sci-fi with dark futures. I prefer a bit of positivity.

Perhaps I will find an answer to that in 'How The World Thinks.'

5. ~Zen~

Well dang.

Amazon.com says no ebook version.

Getting it in print down here in Mexico will take time.

Meanwhile I have been reading this:

501 things you should have learned about... philosophy

[​IMG]

The review:
    If you’re honest, how much do you really know about any of this stuff? The older we get the less we seem to know and the less time we have to bone up on the essentials. One day, you tell yourself, you’ll get round to finding out. Well that day has arrived, so welcome to your intensive vacation primer! Forget boring lectures and dusty professors, this book presents history’s greatest philosophers and their big ideas in fascinating, easy-to-understand and manageable chucks. You’ll learn how philosophical ideas have shaped the world around us, from our politics and religion to our language and ethics, and be challenged by some of the puzzles and paradoxes that have had philosophers thinking for centuries. By the end of this book, you’ll know your Descartes from your Dewey, Hobbes from Hegel and so much more. This really is everything you should have learned about philosophy.

6. Etherea

Etherea Members

This is my original post. My view has not changed

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    ~Zen~ likes this.
  7. Constantine666

Constantine666 Members

I will always love the feel and smell of a Bound Book. But as I get older and my sight gets worse, and my arms have trouble carrying arm loads of books, I find a tablet with the capability of holding literally thousands of printed volumes electronically stored in a device the size of a paperback book and as thin as magazine, to be very attractive. Add to that the ability to choose from thousands more that i haven't read for just $10 a month. I've caught the eBook Fever.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    ~Zen~ likes this.