E-books or paper?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by fem_fatale, Jan 13, 2018.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

You would probably end up having to upgrade it every year in order to read the latest books. Then it would not work on any of your existing collection.

2. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

I have the kindle app on my phone and love it. But, I like walking through Barnes & Noble on a lazy Sunday afternoon, skimming through books, with a cup of coffee. I have a small collection of books, but I think that the kindle app is just more convenient for travel, etc.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Paper books. I don't eat them after reading so I don't see them as that wasteful.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  4. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

old school but willing to try

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Paper books

6. NukaRipple

NukaRipple Members

"Do you know why books are so important? Because they have quality. And what does the word quality mean? To me, it means texture. This book has pores. It has features. This book can go under a microscope. You'd find life under the glass, streaming past in infinite profusion." -Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury

James T likes this.
  7. Julie Topper

Julie Topper Members

My publisher tried selling my books as actual printed books, but now he has put them on Kindle Unlimited the sales have gone up greatly.

8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Like The Fact That The Battery In A Book Doesn't Go Flat.....It's Your Battery That Goes Flat..... :D

Cheers Glen.

9. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Paper.

I even print out all of the new posts on Hip Forums and bind them myself.

mysticblu21 likes this.
  10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

And What Is The Name Of That File...???... :D

Cheers Glen.

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I've decided that I like ebooks better for school.

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

A long long time ago, when I was in middle and high school, I went everywhere with a pocket sized book in a pocket.

Have you noticed the rise of trade paperbacks? And the definite lack of decent pockets on clothing, especially women’s clothing?

I was vaguely okay with toting a bag for a book (I dislike purses/handbags).
    And since used books were my preferred form, I had a daily carry bag for a long time.
    Then I started traveling, a fair amount by air, for a job. (Who knew solar powered green houses would require so much travel)
    I pack with one bag, that fits under the seat. No checked luggage, nothing in the overhead (as often on the cheap airlines, those are force gate-checked anyway).
    Bringing three trade paperbacks was out of the space question.
    One used book to be left at a cafe and my small tablet with a kindle app became my library.
    At home, I still enjoy physical books. But I also read late at night, and a tablet works to not annoy anyone else in the room.
    I’m too mobile to keep my old library. Most has been donated. I’m down to 1/10th of the books I once had, in physical form. Many of those are for my calling. (RIP, Leon Chaitow)
    I have a collection of reread books that survive the culling every move.
    I have no problem reading a book once and letting it go, now.
    I will cull digital books, too.

And there’s something delightful about borrowing a library book at 2 am during a snowstorm.

Asmodean likes this.
  13. Deadbeatdress

Deadbeatdress Members

I love kindle, I've read many books on it but I like the feel of a book in my hand expically if it's a brand new book.

drumminmama likes this.
  14. HashtagInterested

HashtagInterested Members

When I publish my own, I typically do a free ebook … you know make it available to an audience, then suggest if they enjoy the read to buy the hard copy, whether paper back or hard bound. I view it much like marketing and ink pens and post it's with a brand on them. It's a marketing strategy I myself employed. Does it work? I guess that would depend on the read. I myself prefer having the paper in front of me, if only for the nostalgia and sentimental value of. E-books are so impersonal, which is another reason I make them available for free. I have charged for them before though.

15. Xyzobomb

Xyzobomb Members

Enjoy physically holding and reading paper books. Love my kindle the way I can carry hundreds of books around and have the choice of reading another book if I decide the one I'm reading isn't for me

mysticblu21 likes this.
  16. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

I have hundreds of paper books, but after developing eye trouble, I went to audio books. Never had a Kindle.

17. Bowlingguy350

Bowlingguy350 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ebooks and audiobooks. I miss physical books sometimes, but I love being able to carry all my favorites along for any mood, and listen to read while driving and working.

~Zen~ likes this.
  18. This! No change! Books are books are books! A screen doesn't come close!

~Zen~ and Bowlingguy350 like this.
  19. GeorgeCarlinFan

GeorgeCarlinFan Members

Books are mobile. But, e-books can be viewed on my big TV screen, on my couch (so my neck doesn't hurt). I also have the ability to use the Search feature to find certain keywords like - love, hate, killed, favorite, movie, music, song, sex (and all the curse words)

I have hundreds of books and thousands of e-books..

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

I love both books and ebooks!

I just love to read... it is better than Television IMHO.