E-books or paper?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by fem_fatale, Jan 13, 2018.

1. I love books - both old and new! The smell, the feel, the page turning, the cover art..........everything !!!!!!
    I have tried reading online and have listened to bit of a book but, no , doesn't do it for me.
    Should also say a lot of the pleasure is spending hours in book shops browsing, reading, leafing through and then going to the counter and making a purchase!
    Man, I love everything associated with books!!!!

wilsjane and GLENGLEN like this.
  2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Paper, but I don't think that paper is necessarily "better." In face, it's probably pretty wasteful, from an environmental standpoint. I just don't have an e-reader and I'm too lazy to invest in one.

3. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

Paper, I borrow them from the library.

princess peedge likes this.
  4. fem_fatale

fem_fatale Members

I borrow my ebooks from the library too.

JPN2 likes this.
  5. Joe45432

Joe45432 Members

Paper I would with E books I would just get destracted by Facebook and Games. Besides you don't need to charge paper

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

this is VG we're talking about. it's star wars fan fiction.

drumminmama likes this.
  7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Waiting for someone to say 'you can't wipe your ass with a kindle' or some such comment..

8. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well you can, it's just not as effective as great expectations.

9. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

I always have three books in progress: one on my kindle, one on my tablet, and one real book. I read the real book just before turning out my light at night.

fem_fatale likes this.
  10. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Sounds like an awkward process

11. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I have given up reading old moldy paperbacks from the used book store. Cheap, yes... but the sneezing, no.

Kindle readers suck... but tablets are great - there are many e-readers out there and yes, even Kindle has a reader for them that is free.

You don't have to use Amazon... I get ebooks from the library for free and use the kindle software on an android tablet... the black background is easy on the eyes, and the ability to change the size of the type is a blessing.

In fact, I am reading far more now that I don't have to hold a big heavy book in my hands. And the relief from sneezing is wonderful.

I keep the tablet offline so it doesn't stay so warm emitting radiation to and from the wireless hub, and the battery lasts a lot longer.

ALSO - you can import other formats into the kindle reader software. I get free ebooks as pdfs, and they are also quite readable. Especially the classics which publishers still use as cash cows charging top dollar for dead authors works. THere is a lot out there that is royalty free, and free to read.

12. bluewatersurfer

bluewatersurfer Members

I seem to opt for E books more often than not....an entire library at your fingertips

ZenKarma likes this.
  13. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I've heard that about you

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ beggars can't be choosers.

15. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

I just noticed that my post was #33

16. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

If I'm reading 1000 or so word article a computer screen will do.....other than that, books all the way!!!!!

17. zetamey

zetamey Members

I personally prefer ebooks now because you can keep a lot of books in one device. No need to spend on storage for physical books.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

true. but on the other hand, a full bookshelf is a really nice decoration.

wilsjane likes this.
  19. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

My biggest fear would be buying a library of e-books and then having to go to the science museum to find a device to read them on. LOL.

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Life as we know it is gradually being eroded. I remember the days when a shopkeeper served you and knew your favorite marmalade. Today, soon the smiling face of the checkout clerk is becoming a thing of the past and when did you last bib the time of day to your bank manager when you passed him on your way to work.?
    Jane has been asked to work from home for 2 days a week in order to reduce office space, she hates the whole idea, except for days like this when weather makes getting to work difficult.