Dylan virgin

Discussion in 'Folk Music' started by Comfortably Numb, May 30, 2006.

1. Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb Member

Okay... I need some assistance.

I am a Dylan virgin. Heard his classics, but am looking for something else. If you had to recommend ONE Dylan CD for me to buy, what would it be?

2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I'd go for his last album 'Love and Theft' -

of his earlier stuff it's hard to fix on just one, because Dylan's music has been through so many changes.
    Perhaps 'Blood on the Tracks', or 'Highway 61 revisited', or 'Bringing it all Back Home' ....

3. Deinhirsch

Deinhirsch Member

I agree with BlackBillBlake, it's hard to choose one from the earlier albums. For a while I've held either The times they are a-changin' or Another side of Bob Dylan as something of my favorites... But today I listened to Freewheelin' Bob Dylan for the first time in a long time, and well... now I don't know again. :)

Basically, it's hard to go wrong when it comes to early Dylan. I'd say start with anything between Freewheelin' and Blonde on Blonde. This is not to say that for example John Weshley Harding is bad, not at all. But I don't know if it's a good one to start with.

My first Dylan album was Freewheelin'... And it got me interest in hearing more. So perhaps you should follow my example and go with Freewheelin'. :)

4. rosyposies

rosyposies Member

Bringing It All Back Home

5. Dylan1982

Dylan1982 Member

As the person before suggested, a great starting point to Dylan would be Bringing is all Back home. Because in very basic terms Dylan's most popular music can be placed into two areas, acoustic and electric and this album was the start of his transformation into electric.

One half being electric, the other acoustic it really is a wonderful starting point to any new Dylan fan. With classics on like - Subterranean Homesick Blues, Maggie's farm, Mr Tambourine Man and It's all over now, baby blue.

However if you were willing to start with two one from each area, i would say go for The Freewheelin' for the acountic stuff and Highway 61 for the electric. Although really all of these albums and more are absolutely stunning, brilliant, amazing (not enough words to describe how good they are) that any one is a good start point.

Hope that helps. :sunglasse

6. boothy

boothy Senior Member

Blood on the Tracks... first album I got, and it was amazing. 100% converted ever since :)

7. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

yes...bring it all back home

8. Becki

Becki Member

the freewheelin' and highway 61 are my two favourite.

9. corduroy

corduroy Member

My vote goes for Highway 61

10. timeoutofmind

timeoutofmind So Many Roads...

blood on the tracks

11. Tipo Sensuale

Tipo Sensuale Senior Member

Highway 61

12. tpgi

tpgi Member

Blood on the tracks is far and away the best beginner dylan album. Not my favorite dylan album(its up there tho) but perfect for the beginner.

13. Petter

Petter Member

I like Self Portrait, Nashville Skyline and New Morning, but that might just be me...

14. itsamagicallife

itsamagicallife Member

Blonde on Blonde

15. bbbeccaaa

bbbeccaaa 12345678910

I'd say Times They Are A-Changin'. But I agree wiht whoever said Blood on the Tracks is a great beginner one. A lot of people I know loved his electric stuff and then got into his acoustic stuff.

Get any one between Freewheelin' and Desire, except for Nashville Skyline and Self Portrait because I doubt a beginner would appreciate those right away. You can't go wrong with his early stuff :)

16. Captain Discovery

Captain Discovery Member

Desire is his best work. Hands down, no questions asked!!

17. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

Highway 61 Revisted
    Blood on the Tracks
    Bringing it all back Home
    Blonde on Blonde
    Time out of Mind
    Desire
    The Times They are a-changin'

The best of the best

I'd list some songs, but there's just so many.

If you want something live I'd go for bootleg serries #5, Live 1975-Rolling Thunder Revue

18. Nalencer

Nalencer Dig Yourself

I like Blonde on Blonde, but it's hard to go wrong. Bringing It All Back Home is great too. Subterranean Homesick Blues - you cannot go wrong.

19. yamamamo

yamamamo Member

I agree with what a few people have said, his early stuff particularly electric is a good place to start. I'd say Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61, Blood on the Tracks and Bringing It All Back Home would be your best bet. I didn't like his stuff from Desire onwards to begin with, but it soon grew on me! Anyway, buy an album and I'm sure Dylan will penetrate you, so to speak.

20. darlene

darlene Member

you could buy the greatest hits
    and if no,than absolutely blood on the tracks