Dutch woman?

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by JO420, Aug 17, 2005.

1. consolidated

consolidated Banned

yes jason, we know everything about holland sucks.. *sigh*

2. SinPusher

SinPusher Member

How refreshing, the voice of reason rings true. Thank's for the smiles by the way....When you're a one legged black midget like me, they are few and far between.

3. mafuman

mafuman Banned

i want somebody to do a movie on Mata Hari someday. Who would play her? Maybe Angelina Jolie if she put on some weight.

4. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I thought they've already made a movie about her.. Maybe it's a dutch one.. hmm.. I'll look it up..

5. Joehorse

Joehorse Member

Neve Campbell is also half Dutch.

I think it's the same in all big cities- does one actually stop, smile and say hello to people getting on a subway in New York City- heck, you're lucky to get a "pardon me" from 'em as they push their way into the subway car.

I was raised a certain way, and that includes picking up the bill after having dinner with a woman, or carrying her bag even if she says she has got it- No offense meant.
    It's apparent chivalry is dead...

6. jasonspaceman

jasonspaceman Member

no, not everything. you know that there many things that I like about holland. in some ways i even enjoy the directness and lack of niceties at times (once i understood how to give as good as i got that is!).

i just find the contrast stark in comparison to many other countries. Only in Holland have i had people actually push me out of the way in the supermarket in order to get the last loaf of bread etc. One time my partner even had some old dutch woman take a carton of milk out of her hands :lol:

that said, there is something about the total unashamed everyone out for themselves mentality that has some appeal at times.

7. consolidated

consolidated Banned

oh yes, old people can be sooo rude.. I once got push out of the way by an old lady when I wanted to go into the bus..

8. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I don't think that's a bad thing.. Cause it keeps the inequality between men and women alive..

9. consolidated

consolidated Banned

found it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023196/

10. mafuman

mafuman Banned

Chivalry is not dead.

I ride the subway. I get up for pregnant women, ladies with young children and very old people. I am also going to start getting up for nurses i have decided.

11. Rimbo

Rimbo Member

I think people in cities (like Amsterdam) are often less polite than people living in small villages.
    When I was in Ireland I walked into somebody because I was not looking where I was going and the lady started apologizing to me. I was totally confused, in Amsterdam she would have scolded at me instead. :)

Anyway, some tourists in Amsterdam can be pretty rude to. Especially those drunk Brittish guys. I don't know what's up with that, the country has a reputation for politeness, but the younger generation is doing a good job at ruining that reputation.

Maybe it is an age thing though. I don't think the young Dutch guys who go to Lloret da Mar in summer to get drunk & get laid are very polite either.
    The US people I met were usually a little older (probably because it costs more money for them to travel to Amsterdam) and were a lot nicer.

When I was in London the people were nice though. Maybe I just met the wrong people here in Amsterdam.

12. Joehorse

Joehorse Member

The battle of the sexes will never be ended in our times.
    But, we can be friendly!
    How about I buy you a drink when I come to Amsterdam, and you can buy me one?

13. mafuman

mafuman Banned

14. guest1234

guest1234 Visitor

Yep, its awfull here. Probably the worst country on earth, ever. And the people, theyre just horrible cold being with no sense or morals or manners whatsoever.

15. guest1234

guest1234 Visitor

Lets hope not, i love it.

16. Joehorse

Joehorse Member

Well, if you'd like, the next time I am in Amsterdam, could I buy you a drink?

17. fedor

fedor Member

Do the "dutch woman" at this board also pick the most expensive drink when asked what they want to drink?

some that I know are buying rose the whole night for theirselfs (1 coin) and then when asked what they want to drink they always pick the 3 coins mixed drinks...

18. consolidated

consolidated Banned

I almost only drink beer when I'm out..

19. guest1234

guest1234 Visitor

I only drink the mixed ones, theyre the only ones i like haha.

20. fedor

fedor Member

Myrtje is too expensive for me