Dutch Coffeeshops to Fingerprint Customers!

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by skip, May 30, 2007.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Starting September 2007, coffeeshops in the City of Mastricht will start fingerprinting and photographing every customer and copying their ID cards. This is due to a new law requiring each customer be identified and the amount of cannabis purchased recorded.

Since 2002, police have strictly enforced the existing laws, and shops found in violation are automatically closed for a minimum of three months for a single infraction, six months for a second offense, and permanently for a third. Now only 15 of Maastricht's 26 licensed shops remain open, and more are likely to close as a result of these new laws.

Despite efforts to fight this new law, the remaining coffeeshops in Mastricht are going to comply with the new rules. Other Dutch border towns and the city of Rotterdam are also considering implementing these new rules for coffeeshops.

No doubt this will have a chilling effect upon the cannabis trade in Holland. The big question is whether Amsterdam, the world capital of cannabis, will follow suit.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8PER44G2&show_article=1

2. yogibear

yogibear Member

I'm curious as to how much he good old USA has to do with this? This law is real strange. When I needed a prescription in AMS the Chemist called a Doctor and that was that. I had heard some time ago how US intrest pressure Holand on thier soft drug policies. Some repessed Republican's dancing a Jig. :bigear:

3. skip

In this case it may have more to do with internal Dutch politics and that of their neighboring countries. The Dutch have a relatively conservative gov't, which they can't seem to change for some unclear reason.

The rush to get personal information by the US, the EU and certain countries is very Orwellian and will soon turn into a nightmare as more and more unscrupulous individuals get access to very personal information that they never had access to before. Many of these are in Gov't spy agencies and will eventually use that info against people.

4. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

i really wish i had the reference material but i did read an article on yahoo news in the past few months which very clearly stated that the US and Dutch govt's are expanding "cooperation and communication" with reference to all types of drug traffic. the article clearly shows that one of the biggest concerns besides under age purchasers is people from other countries purchasing in the netherlands....

5. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

Take a look on who has the majority in the Dutch government;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands#Politics

The Christian Democratic Appeal wants to go so far as to end toleration. They are very conservative and have the majority in the government.

Can you see how much politics fucks everything up? Not only are cannabis and shrooms soft drugs, as on the par with coffee and far less damaging than tobacco and alcohol........but the Dutch Policy of Tolerance actually has positive results compared to the rest of the world (in the US for example cannabis use has skyrocketed since prohibition). So despite the fact the the Dutch model works the best, they want to go backwards.

And this is all because the Dutch are so pro-internationalists.......they are often praised for their individual liberty but their individual liberty won't last unless they preserve their sovereignty as an independent nation.

6. skip

Believe it or not, such intolerance is rooted in Christianity, whose murderous legacy the Dutch seem to have conveniently forgotten.

Who is the head of state? Balkenende, a Christian minister. What the fuck do you expect?

And when the FUCK are the Dutch gonna change this SAME gov't they've had since when? Since Pim Fortuyn was murdered, no? Guess those Xtians couldn't face having a GAY man lead their country. More intolerance.

The reality of Dutch Tolerance is fading fast. Maybe there's still a few liberals hanging out in Amsterdam coffeeshops, but I've met many YOUNG Dutch people and many of those were only concerned about material possessions and partying on E.

The only political stand the Young Dutch have is to stop immigration and kick out the Muslims.

In fact true integration of minorities into Dutch society is another illusion they present to the world that isn't real. The only group marginally integrated are the Indonesians, because they've been living with the Dutch for so long (like almost 400 years).

7. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

Yes, Christianity has a murderous intolerant legacy. If I'm correct, most Dutch are actually atheist or non-religious and yet they tolerate this overly Christian conservative government. It shows that the Dutch aren't doing their part in preventing their government from not representing the people.

And they are so pro-internationalists.........what is the use of all that liberty when you adhere to and obey a so called "higher" central government that doesn't give a rat's ass about liberty?

8. yogibear

yogibear Member

If one is brought up in a primarily "Christian" atmosphere you would still be strongly influencced by your enviroment. I am still wondering why the Bible tells me how much to pay for my slaves and while dancing in the blood of my enemies, just what dance step should I be doing. This shit is in the Bible. "Belive it or not" More pepole have died in war with God on thier side defending the "True Religion" than all the plages.

9. koopa

koopa De Kuil Krue Hipster

the hippie hippie shake :)

10. skip

I think too many casual tourists take away a incorrect impression of the Dutch based upon their experiences visiting Amsterdam. Amsterdam is a whole 'nother place compared to the rest of the Netherlands, in fact the Dutch are a minority in that city.

Amsterdam has always gone its own way (like providing arms to the French against their own countrymen), but even today Amsterdam has lost much of its independence under this gov't.

Amsterdam & the area around it is now viewed as the future, where Holland becomes much more of an international banking, finance and investment center (lots of new tax breaks for int'l business).

So it's clear the Dutch care more about money than social progress, and many are willing to let wane the great social experiment which they pioneered in the 1960s-70s.

The current gov't has been making great inroads in destroying the personal freedoms that generations took for granted. One day they will wish they still had them...

I watched as the Dutch emulated American society. I couldn't believe they adopted the WORST of American traits. Then of course many turned against the US during the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, but they still haven't rejected our negative cultural influences, and this new law proves it.

11. Silverbackman

Silverbackman Member

Would you say Amsterdam is the most liberal part of the Netherlands?

I don't mind tax breaks for anyone........what I do mind is any big brother policies. This current coalition government seems obsessed with taking away the individual liberty once valued by the Dutch.

What I don't understand is why did the Dutch people vote in the CDA (Christian Democratic Appeal)? Have the Dutch people themselves becomes more religious or conservative? I doubt it. Something is very fishy.

I personally like the People's Party for Freedom and Democracy, but they have no where near the majority.

12. razz

razz Member

The main reason I go to Amsterdam is so I can smoke the herb freely( and see the ladies of cause :party: ). WTF is happening to this world :banghead:

This will affect Amsterdam tourism hugely. You can’t do anything now with out the government intervening and spoiling what is enjoyable !

13. skip

Well add to that the random street sweeps by the Polizei who stop and search people in the center of Amsterdam, and you've got Big Brother come to life! I would never have thought that the Dutch would be the first Big Brother society. The US and UK are not far behind either.