Dumpster Diving

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by scarlettchasingroses, Jan 19, 2009.

1. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Why would you sell that? Looks to be a nice one, a bit older, it looks like? Raise the seat so your knee almost straitens at the end of it's downstroke and it will ride easier. And hipsters only ride "fixies".

2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes its amazing!

3. RyJa

RyJa Member

If I had to guess, I'd say around 65-70% of everything in my house is from the garbage/dumpster.

10-15% is from when I was a kid that I still have, and the remainder are more recent purchases.

You could put a billion dollars in front of me and I'd still head to dumpsters. As nice as it is to give a second life to many things, the thrill of finding a lot what I have found is what would keep me going.

I've even got quite a bit of food, not even expired, nothing wrong at all. Only thing I haven't lucky on is bread. Never fresh, but I still will bring it home and toss it out for the birds around my house.

4. Dude111

Its good to hear my friend!!!

Alot of goodies can be found for sure..

5. Skooky

Skooky Member

even old bread has its uses. :sunny:

I found a Garden Gnome, his hoe was broke so I made him into an incense holder. aha I'll end up giving him away tho, i'm working on the 100 thing challenge.

can't wait to find me a bike, that one a couple posts back was sweet ! maybe I need to move to a place with more dumpsters. mmmm naw. lol

6. ripple

ripple Member

I've got my own bike, plus this ones a tad too big for me. Round here this is what they ride - the older the better it seems, then they can pretend that they dived for it :beatnik:

7. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

I agree with that, but I would never eat food out of the dumpster. I don't see why grocery stores can't just give the food to local homeless shelters. That way people get food and it's still clean.

8. ripple

ripple Member

Food out of a dumpster/bin isn't necessarily dirty. Take a bunch of bananas for example. Firstly, they have their own natural peel covering the edible part. Then, for whatever reason, the bunches often come wrapped in a plastic bag. Then, when they are thrown out, they are put in yet another plastic bag, along with whatever else is being binned. Then the whole lot is places in a metal container, so it's out of the reach of rats. Thats at least 3 layers between the edible part and the dumpster/bin. Not to mention the fact that bananas don't sudenly become inedible once they pass their 'sell by' date. It's madness.

9. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

pretty naive for a 28 yr old...
    some do exactly that, but grocery stores are very busy running their business you know, someone from the food bank or shelter must make the arrangements, pick up the food, sort and deliver it... why don't you volunteer your ass, you well fed Floridian

You've obviously never truly been hungry or you would realize how absurd and insulting this statement.

10. CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael Guest

I used to work as a garbage man, and threw out really nifty stuff on a daily basis - dreary practice. I would have been fired for taking anything too large to fit in a back pack, sad to say, but I recall throwing out: boxes of books, new furniture, seemingly new appliances, tons of antiques (literally), functioning power tools, an unopened box of cigars (nice uns too), much more.

I betcha searching the curbs of a fancy neighborhood on garbage day would lead to some good finds.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

And in some areas get you arrested, or at least stopped for questioning... Wealthy people don't like their trash being picked.

12. CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael Guest

People are a lovable bunch.

13. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

A lot of places it's fair game, and in fact legally forefit once on the curb with trash. The city likes it if they have less to haul off.

Dumpsters are different, your feet sticking out of the dumpster drives down the value of the house with 4 car garage and indoor pool accross the street so fast they almost need a for sale sign with flippable numbers.... And while the curb is public, the dumpster itself is privately owned, and maybe privately contracted, as well. But is all depends on the area.

14. ripple

ripple Member

Todays finds:

A nice Shimano fly rod worth about £120+, looks like it's never been used, still has the plastic wrapper on the cork handle!
    An Abu Garcia fly rod worth about £60, maybe it's been used a couple of times.
    A Dickies fishing vest, brand spanking new.

I just don't get the mentality of the people who throw this stuff away. They could at least drop it off at a charity shop. I've been thinking of all the different reasons why this stuff gets binned. It could be somebody clearing out a relatives garage who has died, and maybe they don't understand the value this stuff has? That, or it could be stolen and they want rid of it. Or maybe they would rather it went into landfil instead of anyone benefiting from their old gear (an 'if I'm not using it then nobody else is' kind of selfish attitude?).

I dunno. It's a strange world. But I'm away fishing...

15. rail_punk

rail_punk Member

wish i could find some fishing stuff.

16. Dude111

I havent been fishing in MANY YEARS!!

17. alwayscrackers

alwayscrackers Member

have a nice day fishin. :2thumbsup:

i personally know of someone who would rather throw anything away rather than give someone something they need or could use, their reasoning is that they had to pay for it, so it's theirs to do with as they wish, and why should someone else benefit from it for free, there are some mean, selfish sickos out there no wonder this world is in such a mess

18. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

If you live near a university and check out the dumpsters when the students go home for the summer, you would not believe all the perfectly good stuff they put in the dumpsters.

Maybe they don't have the means or the time to take it to goodwill but the stuff does not belong in a landfill.

19. tuesdaystar

tuesdaystar Interneter

Yeah

You could furnish a small town at semester's end

20. darthkacie

darthkacie crazy diamond

my nightstand came from a dumpster. it wasn't inside, just sitting next to it, and it's perfectly functional.