Dumpster Diving

Discussion in 'Living on the Earth' started by scarlettchasingroses, Jan 19, 2009.

1. andyreckx

andyreckx Member

true as fuck ,listen cats ,everything in society that contains institutions that refer to money are well, blind sided by the fact that if the world just traded and never used money, tlhat also constitutes as a Babylonia is way over rated if we as humans jsut became feral in a self aware way we could be a asset to our planet,built a resistance to germs and become eventually eco friendly and self sustaining by cutting budgets

point: waste not want not

-daltonjamyes

2. PlaceboAddikt

PlaceboAddikt Paranoia!

I'm actually leaving right now to try to dumpster dive for food for the first time.Wish me luck! I'm scared of being caught. : ( But I remember my dad dumpster diving for furniture and stuff all the time when I was a kid.

3. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'd only eat clean stuff just thrown out by a store out of a dumpster.

But oh my god, the inedible treasures kick ass....

*edit* well yeah, sealed stuff's always fine, orison :2thumbsup:

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

found me 2 boxes cereal few weeks ago, discarded from someone cleaning their car. I think that they had this in the trunk , cause there was tire grease on the box. dates were good. and I love cereal. honey bran, and nature something with honey .. they are gone I ate them..

5. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie Member

Whole Foods throws bread away well they are 3 days away from the final selling date (note: that's not the real expiration date so it's good to eat.)

6. indydude

indydude Senior Member

I luv riding my bike around the city and looking thru allys and dumpsters for free stuff. I just got a new Army backpack (big heavy duty metal frame), 2 canteens, tent, green camouflage fatigues, equipment belt from the Salvation Army dumpster. I guess they don't resell anything to do with military. I already have a good backpack so I'll pass it on.

7. DontKnowbutiDidandiWill

DontKnowbutiDidandiWill Guest

i like :)

i gotta do this.

what are the best shops/stores to hit(uk)?

i was tempted recently but put of by the staff constantly appearing,

is it best to go when its closed?

anyone been asked what the hell they're doing? ha

8. glaneur

glaneur Guest

Great to find you guys!! I've been doing this for several years but not in the UK (another European country), but I would love to get know others doing it. That is why I have added a lot of you as contacts.

I have done it in the UK and you can probably get some hits at places like Lidl, Netto, Freezeland and others, usually in the category of discount supermarkets, but I know that others get it at Tescos and also smaller grocery stores can help you too. Best strategy is clearly to go after they have closed and wait like 30 - 90 minutes until the staff has left. Well yes I have been asked a few times and met with the police but it never led to anything.

I hope that you are helped at least a bit by this. Be welcome to contact me privately on here if you want to ask further and as I wrote I would be really glad to have someone to stay in touch with about this. Finally I wish you all the best of luck with this.

9. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

When I'm back in town for school during the fall semester, I plan to use my more roomy transportation to try to augment the cafateria's "food", which on any given day constitutes a breach of contract (generally about half re-heated, if heated at all, from the day before, or the day before that, etc....

If I find some steady enough dumpsters with good enough hauls on the regular, I'll start a "pictures of your dumpster feasts" thread.

10. lovelyxmalia

lovelyxmalia Banana Hammock Lifetime Supporter

I've never been dumpster diving :( they really enforce dumpster protection in my area.

But I've found a lot of neat things on curbs...one of the things being a beautiful wooden tv stand that was almost new!

I also found a box with a keyboard and mouse in it..my boyfriend uses it.

Our DVD player is from the curb, too

11. iamwhatiam84

iamwhatiam84 Banned

ah man, i'm like the king of dumpsterin! i tell ya...i've been doing it for years! the most incredible and best place to dumpster hands down is Fairbanks, Alaska. Dumpster diver's heaven...they have numerous sites around the city where it's legal to dumpster and people drop off everything you can imagine food, clothes, car parts, musical instruments, furniture, even bud trimmings :) -------best dumpster find yet: a dumpster FULL of beer in Kauai, HI - 18 packs full of corona, heinekin and guinness. lol
    -----------------
    2 tips: always go inside the store/restaurant and ASK for leftovers/throwouts first. sometimes you'll get kicked down fresh hot food before ya go scavenging around. and secondly: hit up universities for when all the students leave in summer or around holidays - college kids throw out lots of good stuff :) happy hunting!

12. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

I'm sorry thats dirty

13. iamwhatiam84

iamwhatiam84 Banned

whatever...get over your germaphobia already. dirty? what do you think your vegetables and greens grow in? dirt. what do you think you're breathing in all day? dust particles, etc. what, did you never ever play outside in the mud as a kid or somethin? sheesh....

14. iamwhatiam84

iamwhatiam84 Banned

on a further note: be considerate of the area you live in as well. i've been thru some spots in cities where homeless in the area actually depend upon the food they find in a certain dumpster OR punk houses that feed a whole house off of food they find in a particular dumpster. so if you can afford most of your food or you're just goin out and doin it for kicks, keep in mind that for some - its how they survive k?

15. DontKnowbutiDidandiWill

DontKnowbutiDidandiWill Guest

nice advice cheers :)

i've started checking out a few places, best to do your research first isn't it :)

a lot of places lock up after closing though, i've heard if the bins are fenced off then theres more of a legal issue?

i'll find a place though no doubt and i'm doing it

16. Skooky

Skooky Member

great thread with lots of good advice. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

17. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Yep.

Seen plasma TV's thrown out, etc.

The rich kids buy all new dorm furnishings every year, instead of bothering to bring them from home, and throw them out, instead of bothering to drag them back home.

Here there's a campus organization, a branch of the recycling people, that dives for it all, and it gets given to the thrift store and used for campus stuff.

18. Skooky

Skooky Member

I found a thirty some inch flat screen a couple years ago in a dumpster, new power cord and it still works perfect. just the other day I found a cool wood camp stool, all it needed was new canvas sewn on the seat part of it which I have already done, good as new.

19. ripple

ripple Member

Last nights find. First time diving for food. There was enough bread in this particular dumpster to feed the 5000.

[​IMG]

Been diving ordinary skips for a while, and selling anything useful on Ebay. My paypal balance is now healthy! I might just come out of my degree with zero debt... :sunny:

20. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

While back I was ordered to throw a bunch of shit out.

I got a hot air popcorn popper, a bunch of copper wire, 2 blacklight posters, 20 whipit!'s, a frisbee, a mousepad, and I forget what else.

I mostly enjoyed the fact that I got free drugs (nitrous) while doing community service.