"Dude" best word ever?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by all_rhodesian_reject, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Bragging of an "exceptional vocabulary" is always, without question, a desperate attempt to sound intelligent but indicates the opposite (intelligent people wouldn't brag of such a thing). A vast vocab is good for flummoxing the daft, but will not hold much water when talking to those that are well read. It does not make you intelligent or fluent, having an understanding and using words to add colour is the real skill.

The fact that "Dude" is versatile has nothing on what the words "love" and "peace" mean. "Dude" is a stupid word used where other unpretentious words are perfectly good.

Of course being called a wanker by someone of worth would be insulting. You did not achieve the desired affect for obvious reasons.

I said that "Ass" was American and that "Arse" was British, but you - apparantly English- used the American one which makes you inferior to the rest of England who use their real language rather than desperately trying to sound "cool" by pretending to be American. Americans are great and so are the English but pretending to be each other is pathetic, which explains alot about your participation in this idiocy.

2. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

of course it does ;)

and what exactly explains your participation in this idiocy?

3. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Well I have never pretended to be American and that was the idiocy to which I was refering to.

4. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

my mistake then.

but still, language doesn't express intellegence. come on, take steven hawking for example, he cant even speak.

5. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

And yet he is far more articulate than anyone that has uttered the word dude. Language does express intelligence and your example of Mr Hawking only reinforces this. He can not talk but he can speak.

Some of the language used on here would be lost on a man of such intelligence. Including the word under question. I think people should respect each other by having the decency to communicate properly with them.

6. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i was joking about the hawking thing.....

im sure that if steven hawking was here he wouldn't care how you spoke to him.
    Language is just a way of communicating, in which way you choose to communicate is irrelevant. an intellegent person or a genius is exactly that for the ideas that they have, for the things they do and say, not the way they say it.

american english is an evolution of the english language whether you like it or not. that's what happens with language, it changes. usually to make it easier to speak and write. i dont even like american english but you have to accept that one day its going to be called standard english.

7. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

I don't think it will be standard English, Americans will always speak American English but English will hopefully keep speaking English. Words like "Dude" sound particularly forced when used by English people as does "ass". I think the majority of English people would prefer to keep a high standard of English language. Things that are easier to write and say are not usually a good thing, the language people use in text messages is vile, it is just laziness and saving time is not worth it and the reciptent of that message deserves better.

8. jesikhaviolet

jesikhaviolet Member

no u loser it easier 2 spk in txt
    :p
    sorry i had to do it

9. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

I also disagree. Oscar Wilde, Kenneth Williams, Shakespeare and Morrissey are all genius BECAUSE of the way they express language. Standards of language are being dropped because laziness and most people do lack intelligence, the fact that language is in the mire would never occur to them.

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Your too right about the idiocy of brits tring to use americanisms. In the 70's it was painful at times to hear 'farout dude' etc articulated in a broad yorkshire or birmingham accent.

In my view though, standards in the English (uk version) language have gone downhill quite a bit in recent times - a fact I see as linked to the demise of serious literary culture.
    On one level you only need compare the political speeches of Churchill and Mr. Bliar, sorry Blair, to see this brought out with startling clarity. Churchill's speeches were almost poetic, and of course, he could speak with great power. Chuchill also wrote all his own speeches.

But even among people in general there seems to be some deterioration.

11. jailmate

jailmate Plantenist

"If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise. "

Iz duh best sig phraz zo far i hav ceen,followin uhr own balllzy addvice further
    Uh arrive at uhr own reality, really B your own self unique and one uv duh kind kind,
    ect, ect.

12. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

You are absolutely right you. You could also compare Kennedy with Bush in the same way. There is nothing unique about being an illiterarate Jailmate, I suggest you run for the next Presidential elections. Other than trying to sound "cool" there is no valid reason to use "dude" instead of "man" "boy" or "person"

13. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

only a fool defines what makes a genius.

14. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Well let me assure you, your name would not be present in that definition.

15. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

yeah im pretty sure it wouldnt.

i just dont quite understand why you think you're far superior to people who speak differently to you. according to you unless you use standard english in england you are inferior.

does that mean that everyone from yorkshire is stupid because they dont speak how you want them to?

16. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

also 'dude' is standard english for it is in the dictionary.

definiton:
    1. a fastidious aesthetic person, usu. male; a dandy
    2. a holiday-maker on a ranch in the western US esp. when unused to ranch life.
    3. a fellow; a guy.

17. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

No, people from Yorkshire speak in their natural way, I am from Yorkshire my self and live there. But if a yorkshire pretends desperately to be American or something they are not it is rather silly. Accents are not the same as words as I am sure you are aware.

18. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

i agree that it is stupid to pretend to be an american if you're not or that you're anything that you aren't. however, dude is a word in the english language and just because someone says the word in question does not make them a poser of americanism.

19. Gladstone Screwer

Gladstone Screwer Member

Congratulations on your first post of substance.

20. blindhobosam

blindhobosam The Legend

and still you keep your record of snobbish ones.