Dry scalp

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by DancerAnnie, Jan 30, 2005.

1. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Since I've started my dreads (which has been about 6 months now), whenever I wash my hair (which is normally once or twice a month), I get really really dry scalp and I get dandruff really really bad. I use tea tree shampoo, could that be why? Anyone else have this problem?

It's more or less just embarrassing and it itches like MAD...

2. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

time to start washing those dreads once a week. All the oil building up on your scalp isn't too good for your beautiful dreadies. This may be why your having dandruff problems. Tea tree shampoo should be the best thing for for your dry scalp! Does it have coloring or any other additives in it? Buy a bottle of tea tree oil(they do sell it at wal-mart if you have no where in your area to go). When you get an itch dab some on your finger and rub it into your scalp. Let us know how it goes. :)

3. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I usually just wash my hair when I need to...which, even before I had dreads wasn't everyday. My hair is naturally pretty dry...Hmmm, maybe I'll try a different brand of shampoo.

4. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Make sure the shampoo is made of totally natural products, prefurably the hand made stuff from small soap companies (but thats just what i prefer)
    Also make sure you wash it ALL off your head because if your leaving bits of shampoo on your scalp its really not going to help the situation:)

5. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

That tea tree oil is Jah sent and works wonders. I have had such a problem with dry scalp this winter and the tea tree oil felt soooo good.