Drug Dogs now can be used as a routine

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by mynameisjake07, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Agree'd.

Certainly if you two cops came to your door to search your house even though you're clean as a whistle ... you'd still give them a good "wtf" and feel violated to hell.

2. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

It makes sense! you keep not recognising the concept i have raised about drug dogs that if they cant smell anything, then they havnt invaded your privacy because they havnt revealed anything about whats inside your car so they may as well have just been a dog breathing through its nose.

3. PokeSmot

PokeSmot Member

Dude...you live in fucking Australia

4. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

how does that change anything?

5. syd

syd Banned

I agree StonerBill!

6. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

heahe your from australia too, i guess theres a correlation :p

7. MagicSwhirlingShip

MagicSwhirlingShip Member

im defently with trippin on this one. This all just a bunch of bullshit from a power hungry govertment that wants to control everything there citizens do.I honestly think this is a spit in the face to the authors of the constitution.

8. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Yeah. But I was reading through the Court's opinions and dissents (provided on that web page via a link at the bottom), and it seems like it's only legal for them to do this if doing so does not lengthen the time it takes for the cop to write the ticket, check your plates, and do whatever else a cop does on a routine stop. The cop didn't even ask for the other guy to come with his dog, but he was in the area and came, and before the first cop was finished writing the other guy up (writing a warning, not even a real ticket!), the dog had alerted at the car's trunk.

However, I still don't see why a police dog does not legally count as a "search" when it obviously is one. The dog is searching for drugs. What else can you call it? In one of the dissent's, the Justice was saying how the formal ruling didn't clearly limit how this is used. If it's legal to just have a dog sweep for drugs on a car stopped for a speeding violation (that is, searching for drugs without any real reason to), there is nothing to stop law enforcement officials from adhering too strongly to this and another rulling (can't remember the name of it) and just doing full sweeps of parking lots, or of people on the sidewalk who are otherwise minding their own business.

Can anyone say fascism?

9. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

What the fuck kind of cops pull someone over for going 6 miles over the speed limit?? I dunno about where you live but here 75-80 is the normal on 65 mile per hour highways.