Drought

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by slingshot, Oct 18, 2007.

1. slingshot

slingshot Member

Where is this drought going? Will Atlanta end up with forced evacuations if Lanier runs dry? There are an estimated 5,000,000 people here, and this is shaping up to be a crisis on the Katrina scale.
    I can locate enough water to stay alive, but stuff like bathing and washing clothes may become luxuries.
    I gave up on my garden this summer, and watched it burn up in the sun. The only thing that did any good were the watermelons - go figure.
    I'm ready to go primitive, and avoid any kind of roundup if they decide to force evacuations on us, I really don't want to abandon my home.
    What kind of plans do any of the rest of you have?

2. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hi slingshot...

Well, I'm moving anyway this spring, but if I weren't already planning to move (I've been planning this move for years...way too long, but life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes), I would be packing my bags in the spring anyway. I've been tired of living close to the city for quite awhile, but the water situation has me worried as hell. I don't own property here, so I have that luxury...so I'm goin' West...

I'm sorry to hear about your garden. Some other folks I know who live in the area are having similar problems. I hope it all works out for you, and for the others who have invested in Georgia as home sweet home...

3. plastic bagism

plastic bagism Member

I don't think there's been enough media coverage of this drought. I didn't know there was an outdoor ban until a week ago, and really didn't think there was an impending crisis until I did some research on my own.

I'm worried about evacuating. I'm a 3rd year college student in Atlanta, and am not sure how easy transferring would be. I do think it's going to happen, though.

Supposedly in three weeks personal restrictions are going to be imposed. And if it comes down to it, they said, we'll only be alloted enough water for drinking and hygiene.

This seems like it could have been avoided. A lot of companies, like the US Army Corps Engineering program, have wasted billions of gallons of water this past summer.

If you're planning on staying in Atlanta, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to build a well.

4. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

the Army Corps. of Engineers have wasted a lot for sure, but the rampant development has hurt too...I have to wonder if any thought was given to the water supply in Atlanta before subdivision after subdivision was built. Greed, greed, greed... :mad:

Of course, there are other reasons too..the obsession in this region with the bright green lawn, needing lots of water (of course, if people had known earlier that water was such a serious problem, they might have done something different...who knows...), etc.

It's a scary situation...3 weeks, huh? Yet, I bet the Army Corps. of Engineers will keep on sending billions of gallons of water a day down the Chattahoochee until we're all dried up...

Sorry for the rant...it's been on my mind a lot...as well as everyone else in northern GA, I wager...