driving high

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by Willy_Wonka_27, May 13, 2004.

1. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Member

I don't intentionally drive while high, but if I'm high and I need to go somewhere, then I'll go..I won't wait until I come down or anything.

Haven't fucked up due to it ever, either. I always stay in the middle of the lane, and use turn signals and am very aware of my surroundings..it's very..comfortable and awkward. Sometimes I feel more comfortable driving stoned than I do when I'm not high.

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Driving high is one thing, but PLEASE don't drive drunk. I have known too many people who have gotten hurt/killed from driving drunk. Please!

3. TreePhiend

TreePhiend Member

So true!!!

4. Tsubasa

Tsubasa Member

I've only driven once while high, and never under the influence of anything else. Looking back, I feel bad about it. I try not to be behind the wheel if I can help it at all. The one time I drove was just dumb, I don't have any excuse for putting myself and others at risk.

5. PeRrY

PeRrY Member

When i got my license,I took my road test high. I actually drive better when im all stoned up, i think i make myself pay attention more.

6. dotadave

dotadave Member

I don't drive high. Driving under the effects of any drug isn't helpful.

7. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

i love smoking while driving. especially for road trips - you get a couple bowls in me, and i´m good to go for like 6 hours.

8. ericf

ericf Member

Okay, I might as well fess up.

I used to drive a tow truck. This is arguably the WORST profession to smoke weed on the job. Not only are you driving, but you are driving a huge vehicle (I drove almost everything except I didn't have the right license to drive the Class A by myself). On top of that -- as a commercial driver you have to go through the weigh stations. Usually they let you blow right through but in rare cases they will have EVERY commercial vehicle pull in and submit to a drug test. The only exception are the drivers who have been randomly tested in the last 6 months. I had a couple of close calls on that one... and was sweating balls.

Speaking of stuff like that -- you work very closely with the police. You have to talk to them and fill out paperwork for arrests and accidents. If you reek of weed then you go to jail. I actually handed a joint to a cop on night and almost had him steal it (it was inside the body of a pen). I got my pen back which is rare since the cops tend to be notorious pen thieves.

You have to drive fast in very bad places (doing 65+ up the shoulder of a road in an emergency situation) and need to react to the unexpected (like car pulling in front of you). Tow trucks are emergency vehicles but no one respects that so people never get out of your way.

You have to be able to put that truck in a very tight space the right way the first time. Working with a 30 foot long vehicle in parking lots is not fun. I was stoned one night and accidentally backed ONTO the hood of a car in the impound lot. Left a huge gash in the hood -- but the guy's father picked it up and the son assumed he had done it while drunk so I got away with that.

But I will say one thing. I helped maybe two stoners while driving the tow truck. Usually stuck in a ditch or something with no injuries. I helped countless drunks... where even the best accidents had minor injuries. I would much rather have people smoking than drinking. You see some sick shit when people mix booze and cars.

9. luv2behigh

luv2behigh Member

That is crazy. Must have been fun at times though. How often did you smoke and drive? Do you still drive the tow truck or did you stop, or did you get caught? You were right about the fact that noone treats a tow truck like an emergency vehicle. They should be treated like an emergency vehicle though. Wouldn't someone notice if a tow truck driver was smoking weed?
    Or did you smoke before work? I suppose it wouldn't look that suspicious if you were smoking a joint or something.

peace.

10. luv2behigh

luv2behigh Member

I only read this after I posted the other question.
    This answers some of the questions.
    And like someone else said. I don't make it a point to drive and smoke.
    But if im high and I have somewhere to go, then I go.

11. ericf

ericf Member

Okay, I wouldn't smoke that often. I would keep a joint in the body of a pen (just a tiny little joint) for those days where it was really quiet. Usually about once every two weeks.

I stopped driving the tow truck because I was working over 60 hours a week... and taking 18 credit hours in school at the same time. One night I started to hallucinate from lack of sleep (something like 4-5 days of being awake) and after that I knew I had to quit. In the state of Florida (where I live and worked) a tow truck is legally an emergency vehicle. They have a right to include a red light in their light bar and by law vehicles should give way to them. If one is on the side of the highway people should move over for safety's sake -- you should do that for cops also but most people don't. There isn't much you can do but lean on the horn and scream, which only works about half the time.

I would only smoke joints and never while actually driving. During a slow period I would usually just sit on the bed of the truck and smoke while waiting for a call. Can't smoke in the cab because the smell would linger. It was some good times. I got to smoke with a couple of people I helped (flat tires and all). I wouldn't smoke before work because I wouldn't be able to tell what kind of night it would be. Basically, if the night was really slow and there were no police traps (so I likely wouldn't get a cop call), then I would smoke up.

I did smoke one of the busiest nights I worked... but I had just accidentally put my bare hand in the gore that once was someone's skull... that smoke was a reward.

It was some good times though. Sitting on the bed of the truck... looking at the ocean (when I was near the ocean) and just toking up. Nice cool Florida nights... just enjoying the breeze and the buzz. But it was risky as hell. I was sober the couple of times they were doing checks at the weigh stations but that doesn't mean I would have tested negative. Risky... I couldn't afford to lose my job over that. Good thing I didn't.

12. maryjaneguitargurl

maryjaneguitargurl I am just like you.

marijuana will never be legalized. Alot of car crashes is related to alcohol. They dont make that illegal its so stupid. Its just a billion dollar business. Alcohol will always be legal and marijuana will not. Doesnt make since to me. Nothing does in the politics and whatever

peace

13. Cosmo4

Cosmo4 Member

The tow truck story..that reminds me..of when my friend's car broke down and we had to get it towed. The tow truck driver was unbelievabley stoned out of his mind [​IMG]

14. KBlaze

KBlaze Member

one time my friends' keys got locked in his car after we had been boxing it, and we called triple A to open the door, when he did hes like "guys, this car smells like pot!" and he told us he indulges as well, and since we didnt have enough to tip him i gave him a bowls worth off a nug i had (since i locked the keys in haha). driving stoned isnt smart because you can get pulled over for pretty much anything if a cop feels like giving you shit. but it is easy as hell, for me anyway. but you feel sort of numb and heavy on the pedals, thats the only bad thing, other than that, i drive fine when high, better than speedin all over the place and cuttin everybody off like they have some place important to go. jerks.

15. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I drive high a lot, and the only thing I do differently is drive slower.

16. ericf

ericf Member

Yeah, a lot of tow truck drivers are very cool. They tend to know when bad things are happening (like random testing at a weigh station which is ultra rare anyway) and can avoid going near there. I was kindof screwed because I decided to be dishonest with my boss and lie about using. This was probably the only time in my life where this was a bad choice, usually it works the other way. I didn't think he would keep me if he knew. So I was driving to the weigh station to tow a truck with another guy. He looked over at me and he's like, "You sure you don't smoke pot?" I insisted I didn't. He said, "That's good. They're testing everyone... and even though you're not the driver they might test you anyway. That's why you came with me instead of Ray." It turns out Ray (the guy who normally did all the 18-wheeler hookups and stuff because he refused to work on cars) had a little crack problem. So the boss didn't send him. He was honest and it quietly got around that he was to avoid areas where he might be tested at all costs. If I had been honest I would not have even had to risk the test. Lucky for me they just tested the driver since I was only there to assist and not drive.

I talked with one guy all the time about drugs. Not the crackhead though another guy. Tow truck drivers are at least understanding because they see a lot of stuff. They learn to turn a blind eye and laugh about it. Here is one of my favorite "blind eye" stories. Where I turned a blind eye.

I was driving to change a woman's tire and a little irratated. I was supposed to leave work at 7, she was 40 minutes away and the call came in at 6:40. There was no way I was getting home before 8. Well, I finally pull up and she is already out of the car. I get out and I swear I smell weed. But this lady was like 56 and looked like a School Marm (or whatever... really strict looking old lady). So I didn't even think it was her. So I jack her car up... and I keep smelling this weed. I'm looking around because I swear someone has to be smoking this pretty close. I figure it must just be the wind carrying the scent or maybe I am just so tired that I think I am smelling things. I get the old tire off and roll it to the trunk. I ask the lady to pop the trunk. She hesitates but finally opens it. There, sitting on the spare tire is an ashtray with a smoldering joint. No wonder she was acting nervous. I just moved the ashtray, finished changing the tire, and went on my way. It was a weird tow though. Drivers see stuff like that all the time. I think the lady just got tired of waiting for me and decided to smoke because she would see me coming and could hide it. For future reference... if you want to hide your weed from a tow truck driver who is changing your tire, putting on top of the spare is a bad place. :D

17. ecksikial

ecksikial Member

Driving high is, for the most part, easy and fun.. However, I noticed that it's hard to react to outside noises like cars honking.. Not that I could hear them anyway, not with the way i have the music blastin'.

18. TheFriendlyStranger

TheFriendlyStranger Maniac Mull Mite

Get over yourself ya dick. I can drive stoned fine, I just forget were I am going.

19. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

In my years of driving while high I have found that I have never recieved a speedin ticket!That tells me alot!

20. ncsu123

ncsu123 Member

I say just wait till u get home to smoke, or do what ever u gotta do early