Drilling in Alaska- good or bad?

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by Jezmund, Jun 3, 2004.

1. JosieJune

JosieJune Member

We want our oil and we don't seem to care what that consumption does to our neighbors...just don't drill on our 'pristine' land.
    We are like addicts dependent on oil. We should all strive to find alternate sources before we bring too much damage to our land and our selves.
    We should all do our part not to waste oil...to improve our situation now and for our descendents...lest we be judged on our lack of foresight.

Paz,
    Josie

2. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yes there is plenty of mining, forestry and oil production in Alaska. Mining I have the most trouble with. One commercial gold mine makes the oil industry look like a walk in the park. But....Much of Alaska is really untouched, or at least lightly touched. For everyone who knows so much about the state, have you ever flown in a small aircraft say from Fairbanks to Kotzebue or Barrow? There are vast empty areas the size of other states.

No part of Alaska is wasteland. Something grows and lives in every corner, it may be tundra and swamp (muskeg) but it is very alive.

3. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Dont get me wrong... I think its a shame to see any piece of land industrialised.

I was just concerned people were being led to believe Alaska was a 'virgin' territory and a reason to keep drilling out was to maintain that 'pedigree'.

Industry by its very nature is invasive and does 'something' to the land.

Fishing is another one -but people watching on TV dont actually 'see' any difference its making.

Personally, I would be in favour of challenging the US gov to shut down 'x' amount of old sites and clean them up - for every 'x' amount of new sites they open.

The new sites being a lot more efficient and environmentally 'friendly' than the older ones.

4. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

On either side of any environmental issue (or any issue for that matter) folks tend to believe myth and use buzz words, and in the end further polarizing the issue.

Again there are parts of Alaska that have been harmed by industry. I see much more damage by gold mining in the local area than anything else, but it was that industry that made the area I live in. Then came the pipeline and the related industry in support of oil. In that sense I probably would not be here if none of that existed and Alaska would still be Sewards folly.

We as a society are fuelled by industry, and to realize this is necessary to effect change. All industry effects the environment be it Organic Tofu production or oil production.

I will, though, hope to see ANWR left alone as it really is "pristine" (use of buzzword) while other parts of the state are not.

5. cousinit

cousinit Member

Im not fond of the idea of drilling in pristeen wilderness, but I cant really say much without looking like a hippocrite. As the oil drilling and pipline industy is paying my wages.

I curently make the casings for self engaging emergancy shut off valves. Thease valves have to work the 1st time, even after sitting outside for 20 years. the results of a failed valve can be an explosion or massive oil spill.

so if thiers ever a really bad oil pipline in explosion in alaska in 20 years, now you know who to blame. it means a bad one probably slipped past the QA guy.

Im working on a large order of casings right now, all going to Baker Alaska

6. metro

metro self-banned

*takes notes*
    [​IMG]he he

you better do a good job! stay alert, we're counting on ya[​IMG]