Dressing for Bare Feet

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootjaime, Jan 9, 2010.

1. psychedelicg1rl

psychedelicg1rl Member

well I am glad you explained yourself, bc I get where you are coming from now. Sometimes as it happens online, we misinterpret what someone means, bc we can see your voice, or your tone. I hope I did not offend you.

2. barefooted_in_iowa

barefooted_in_iowa Member

Kia Ora!

I know that 99% of the pictures on peopleofwalmart[dot] com are fake. It's like a Jerry Springer style sensationalist website. But I thought with this being a barefoot attire thread, I'd share this gem. I think the jail orange pants are a bit..... but if that's his style than so be it :p.

http://www [dot] peopleofwalmart [dot] com / ? p = 11287

3. hillman30

hillman30 Member

yeh, thanks Jaime. this is the first time i haven't felt like i ws "creepy" cuse i ws old or didn't get the hippie thing. That was a great explaination. And I totally agree having others around does help. I get all weird about being barefoot in cold weather cause i am def standing out. and that is VERY disconcerting, to me at least. and thats wherre my questions were coming from.

4. bftEd

bftEd Member

Can somone be a hippie if they don't go barefoot?

Otherwise, agree with your additional clarification and I am glad you did it.

5. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Of course they can. I was just making a point that the public has this pre-conceived notion that all hippies go barefoot because a majority of them did in the 60's, take a look at that Archie comic a few pages back on this post and you will see what I'm talking about. Today's hippies come in all different degrees.

6. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

No you didn't offend me at all. Sometimes it's hard to say what you want to in the right choice of words, so I guess it's good I clarified my feelings better.

Also, as a note to Hillman30, I didn't mean anything about older people going barefoot. The whole purpose of this thread is to point out that, YES barefooting does attract attention in the first place, but if you dress the part and fit into people's stereotypical notion of the barefoot hippie or barefoot beach bum it attracts less attention because people just chalk it up to that particular mindset. Otherwise they look at you like you're the mad hatter...lol

One of my older friends on here told me he's in his upper 50s and would like to go barefoot but thought he could not pull it off because of his age. I told him to look at one of my idols, Jimmy Buffett. He is probably pushing 60 but he dresses like a beach bum, so when he goes around barefoot it looks "perfectly normal", if you catch my drift. ;)

[​IMG]

7. hillman30

hillman30 Member

Jaime, your explanation did totally make sense. I agree, it is really nice not to stand out and in early spring I get weirded out about being just that. It wears off after a while and then I can enjoy my lifestyle.

8. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

I think if you overdo it with the 'careless' look -like the guy in the Walmart picture, jeans ragged at the bottom even though they're not the length to get stepped on, orange 'jailhouse' pants on top, hair unkempt, then it'll backfire and reinforce the idea that barefoot people are dirty and possibly homeless. Beach look is great but if you want to avoid comments and stares it should at least be clean I guess.

That said I don't always dress that way myself, the theme park I work at is opening for the 2010 season by the end of the month and I have a couple weeks of hard, dirty work coming up. Lots of cleaning dusty, cobwebbed reconstructions, clearing & seeding the small fields, etc. I commute by public transport, I know I won't be wearing my best pair of jeans & on the way back they won't be clean either!

But then I do take the consequences and I am neither surprised nor as likely to get irritated if I get nasty looks or comments, while when I'm wearing particularly nice clothes from the ankle up anyone asking me if I need money or help gets snapped at to use their eyes and look at the entire picture rather than judging someone by one thing only!

9. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

IMO barefeet can be worn with any outfit!

10. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Well Iv'e Certainly Done This For Years, Wether It Be A Trip To The

Supermarket, A Meeting With My Accountant Or Lawyer, A Wedding, Or

A Funeral, I Always Turn Up In My Best Pair Of Freshly Polished

"Bare Feet"..:D.. And So Far *touch wood* The Fashion Police Haven't

Arrested Me...:D.

Keep Em Bare Peeps..:).

Cheers Glen.

11. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I agree with this and try to wear tidy, clean clothes if possible. Half the time I dress like a beach bum (beach shorts and a surfshop tee) and the other half I dress like a hippie (patchwork design PJ pants and tye die Grateful Dead shirts). My clothes are always clean and I usually wear a cap or a bandanna.