Dressing for Bare Feet

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by barefootjaime, Jan 9, 2010.

1. onesublimesister

onesublimesister Member

Concerned about a certain image that they would like to portray, maybe? The only image I want to portray now, is wholeness. And since my 20s, when I was culturized into believing that what was on the outside mattered, I've come a long way. Sometimes, people only care about what someone else is doing when it appears that the spotlight might be taken off of them.

Dress to keep warm or protected from the elements. That's what it was originally intended for.

Oh, and clothing was provided by the puritans to cover up your sinning junk! :D

2. kazuya5611

kazuya5611 Member

How'd they know about my sinning junk? I wasn't even born yet!

Actually, I think the Victorians had the Puritans beat on that score. They even worried about covering up the sinning junk of pianos. Go figure.

But, back to the topic, is there a "proper" way to dress for going barefoot? If there is, some of us may have to stop going barefoot.

3. barefootoctober

barefootoctober Member

Wait—pianos have sinning junk?

Exactly. Plus, it's better to wear a suit barefoot than to wear ugly dress shoes (or an ugly tie, for that matter—but I digress). Personally, I haven't found dress shoes I like in a long time (and I live in a country where dress shoes are supposed to look good, but I guess they don't anymore). Hence, I wear chucks with my suit—and believe me, it's a very nice suit.

4. onesublimesister

onesublimesister Member

lol... Dude they knew your junk was gonna sin eons ago!

Naw, the only proper thing to wear is a smile on your face because you're going barefoot. :D

5. boguskyle

boguskyle kyleboguesque

barefeet look good in cargo shorts with a belt and no shirt. ftw

6. Lennon_Skye

Lennon_Skye Member

Ooh I definitely agree on that one :D

7. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I too will agree with that. Bare feet make the best shoes!

8. bige1030

bige1030 Member

:) Most definitely! He could pull it off very well!

9. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Not sure how to explain this in terms you would understand. Even though the act of me going barefoot is, in itself taboo, people can comprehend it or put it in it's place if I am amongst other barefoot hippies, and/or beach bums. If someone is walking around in formal wear and bare feet, he WILL attract attention, even from other barefoot hippies/beachbums. If you want to dress like that, fine. More power to you. You will definately be on a page of your own.

OK nevermind. I give up. Some of you are obviously out of college for a long time and not hip to the current scene. Don't worry though, I'm not harshing on anyone. Sometimes "ignorance is bliss". Peace out.

10. barefootoctober

barefootoctober Member

You gotta be kidding.

11. hillman30

hillman30 Member

I do have a related question, sort of. Well, maybe two. First, are there lots of barefoot hippies or beach bums around that makes it easy to blend in? And, If barefeet and a suit make one stand out and be obvious, wouldn't being barefoot in winter (or in snow) kinda do the same?

12. kazuya5611

kazuya5611 Member

Good questions. I haven't noticed too many barefoot hippies or beach bums around here. Of course, the nearest beach is several hours away. If you go barefoot around here, you stick out regardless of what you wear. Someone who's easily embarrassed will definitely not go barefoot in my neck of the woods.

As for snow, we don't have to deal with it. I can manage to go barefoot most days during the winter without worrying about the cold. Actually, I probably stand out as much in the summer walking across the parking lot when its 105ºF (40ºC). I've had more people ask me how I can stand the heat than ask me how I can stand the cold.

So, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about whether I'm going to "blend in" when I go out. Whether it's shorts and a t-shirt or a tuxedo, people are going to notice the bare feet, and I'd rather be barefoot.

13. kazuya5611

kazuya5611 Member

Where do you think baby grands come from? ;)

14. barefootoctober

barefootoctober Member

Nice. :)

15. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

........:eek:..........................................................................:D.

Cheers Glen.

16. psychedelicg1rl

psychedelicg1rl Member

I respect you Jaime, I have even talked to you personally. But here's my problem, you always seem to think that all hippies must go barefoot. I go barefoot half the time, and the rest of the time, I actually wear shoes, bc I either have to, and yeah I do at the places I go, like mucking stalls. I enjoy going barefoot, but to me, it is my choice, it is a choice, not an requirement of someone who is an hippie. Also that word, is relative, it has a lot of meaning from it, and yet I probably wont understand all of it, bc I didnt live in the 60s. I am still quite young. Just remember not everyone is going to go barefoot, or wears tiedye, etc. And I hope you dont get offended by what I said, I am just voicing my opinion. I just see a lot of hostility towards you by others, and you getting offended by others too, I just would love to see more peace and love in these kind of threads. I really think there a ton of misunderstandings in posting online, someone can not even see your tone of your voice, etc. It is easy to have someone errors in how someone perceives what you write, or you to misinterpret what they write. Ok that's my 2 cents. I wish you only the best, and hope this thread starts getting on track.

17. psychedelicg1rl

psychedelicg1rl Member

and to answer the original question, I usually wear very casual clothes when I go barefoot, but then again, I dont have an high class job, so I dont know how it would be if I did. I dont think it looks strange at all to wear a suit, and be barefoot, everyone has to go to work.

18. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

Off topic question, but do you have a job that allows you to go to work barefoot? If so, Bravo!! Do tell us about it.

19. psychedelicg1rl

psychedelicg1rl Member

I work at horse stalls, and I am required to wear shoes, so no I do not have a job, that I can go barefoot to. I wish I did, my point was just that, if I did have an high class job, I would let you know what it was like to go barefoot all dressed up. IT is a liability to not wear shoes at work, and they require you sign an paper saying you will dress for the job, which lists suitable shoes for work. I have to wear big hunking boots. It is actually dangerous to go barefoot around the horses, bc if they step on your foot, they can break your toes, or foot. It is a little safer with the shoes on.

20. barefootjaime

barefootjaime Member

I just wanted to point out that I DO NOT think that all hippies must go barefoot 100% of the time. I don't even own shoes, but that's becaue I just don't like shoes.

Here is the point I was trying to make about this thread. Now, this has nothing to do with people's personal preferences. People can dress how they wish, I am just pointing out that "guys" who wear dresses and go barefoot or wear suits and go barefoot will attract 200 times more shock factor than a hippie or a beach bum who goes barefoot.

I am merely stating, that if I were amongst one or more other peers who were either hippies or beach bums and we had no shoes in public, YES others may disapprove of us being barefoot but they would just chalk it up to the typical stereotype and figure that "those type" of folks, gererally (NOT ALL) are inclined to go without shoes. If I were to hang out with someone wearing a suit and bare feet it would attract far more unwanted attention than I am prepared to deal with. When I go barefoot, I try to attract as little attention as possible.

I hope this time I put my opinion into words that make some sense. I am not dictating anyone's personal choice, I am just stating how I feel. That may be worth nothing, but then again it may reflect how other people like me look at things.