Dreaming in Color

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by HashtagInterested, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Sagewynd

Sagewynd Real men wear bras

then you have people who grew up with both. there was my dad's little early 70s 20" black & white RCA tv in the playroom when i was a kid, had an old sears toploader vcr connected to it that i used to watch my cartoons on, the big 36" stereo mitsubishi in the front room of the house was color of course (diamondtron CRT) and have always had color computer screens, even on the apple 2e.... no, I almost always dream in color

sometimes i have dreams I'm watching something on a black & white tv, which strangely almost always seems to be programming (including cable channels somehow) over the air from 3 or 4 cities away and usually in analog ntsc format which of course is long gone, now i did do a fair bit of tv DXing as a teenager since my parents had a sony VCR in the front room, and it had a stupid sensitive tuner so i used to get seattle and eugene sometimes depending how the antenna was pointed. almost without fail mom would find me in the middle of a show on kval or kcts (if I could null kgw and opb's sidebands) and come in ans say "oh, turn that static off and watch a real channel"....... but that never stopped her from parking the tv on the local low-power home shopping club channel and squinting through all that snow. of course.

i still dream that i'm back at my parent's house and that tv and vcr are still in the playroom, along with the sofa and my old boombox that decades ago i figured out how to plug into the vcr's line out and get stereo, even though all that stuff's been gone for probably over 20 years now since they turned it into an office/library. and of course my old room's also there but it still exists as such since it's still my other "remote" office away from my house.

now if you reallty want a trip, my dad co-owned a shop for a few years in the 90s and they had muzak from satellite in store, so when i'd be at work with dad i'd sometimes bring my teac cassette recorder with me and a couple blank tapes and plug it into the receiver's spare output, and i'd make elevator music tapes to listen to..... sometimes i'll dream i'm at a restaurant or the mall, or just walking around in some random place and suddenly the muzak will just start playing in my dreams in the same sequences as on those old cassettes.

the teac i got at a rummage sale for something like $30 when i was about 9 or 10.... it was an early 80s professional halftrack model for eng and interviews with shittons of hours and worn out heads but it was my first real piece of big boy audio equipment and it did survive the quite a bit of abuse that i gave it as a kid, know i still have it somewhere though i'm sure the belts and rollers are probably stretched out if not rotten by now, and the vu meter i know hasn't worked since i got it

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  2. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Errhmmm - Some of us are old enough to remember a time BEFORE television, when our entertainment consisted of either what we listened to on the radio or made our own entertainment by playing games, or cards.

Sagewynd likes this.
  3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i was born before there was color television, and i've never dreamed in black and white. not quite before there was tv entirely though. mom always had one.
    never had anything not work in dreams that works in real life. had a few more things that work in dreams then in real life, but nothing in real life that doesn't work in dreams.
    nothing ever not sharply clear and in focus either. clocks, computer screens, printed pages, all perfectly readable and functional.

almost no one i've ever met in either place existed in the other. not nearly a fraction as many humans exist at all in my dream universe either.
    as for mirrors, they'd probably work like everything else does, except i can't say for sure, because i've never in my dream universe been able to find one.
    i don't think people there would ever invent or have any use for them. they do have window glass, but i'm not so sure about lenses.

Sagewynd likes this.
  4. Sagewynd

Sagewynd Real men wear bras

i've had dreams where lights didn't work, like, you walk into a dark room to where you know the lamp is, which you know is plugged in and has a good bulb, grope around for the switch and turn it only.... it doesn't come on, same with ceiling lights sometimes.

or, i'm needing to make a telephone call but just can't seem to dial the number correctly even though i know perfectly well what it is, no matter how many times i hang up and redial, nope, either; guess it just ain't gonna happen

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i've very rarely had things not work they way the were supposed to, but usually for much stranger reasons, like an elevator that would shrink too small to get into when i tried to so i had to either jump over a railing or use the stares. but this is not a thing that happens often. i think i find secret passages more often or about the same. lights are usually already on and phones i don't recall having had occasions to use. internet usually works fine though. there was a pizza place i teleported to once, to meet up with a bunch of folks from here, never met in real life, but online on hips. anyway the pizza kitchen was already closed by the time i got there, but they still had fresh mocha, espresso, coffee (probably a bunch of beers and wines, but i just had a coffee). there were other odd things in it, a back room was the meeting place and layout of a model railroad club, though none of its members where present at the time either. i ended up riding home, to their home, of someone who was there, and going to sleep on their floor. no spare mattress but they did have spare blankets. i mean all of us went to their house and did that. i remember being worried that i couldn't remember how to teleport to my own home, but when i eventually fell asleep on their floor, i woke up in my real life bed in this universe so that was ok.

6. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

7. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

8. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

9. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

cool vids, but nothing related to what happens in my own dreams. if you want to see what does, check out john teall or themnax on vimeo.
    these are concept illustration animations that are even still a small sampling of what the world my dreams take place in looks like.
    there is a link to one of them on my fur affinity page, along with tons of still images.

11. myndtyme

myndtyme Banned

Mine were just referring to dreaming in colour with a musical twist :)

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

yes i see. oddly enough mine sometimes have music as a thing that sometimes happens in them, but usually not.
    usually only natural sounds. really anything CAN happen in them, just as in life. also as in life, some things happen more often then others.
    also none of the beliefs that are common on this earth are common there. people there do have them, but just not related to anything here.
    again usually. exceptions happen in them, to pretty much anything we think we know. they are a consistent world (usually) to themselves,
    but not to earth (other then being on a planet in a solar system, in some galaxy somewhere (when not on a forested mountian universe that extends forever i all directions)

lol "reality" is NOT getting me down.
    the hatred of reality, who's only true nature is diversity, can and does.

myndtyme likes this.
  13. arizonacook

arizonacook Banned

a lot of my dreams are in color--- last night i had a dream my mom put a napkin of diced onion and sliced pickles in my pocket-- and then i woke up dreaming about orange circus peanut candy

Sagewynd likes this.
  14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

music in dreams reminds me one time i woke up after dream with an alternative lyric to the beatles it ain't easy, that was about a maglev line from paris to palarmo.
    "ride from paris into polarmo, on the brand new mag-lev express ..."
    (don't really remember much more about it now then that)

15. curiousbear

curiousbear Senior Member

I don't even realize whether I dream in black and white or color unless it is something too colorful. For instance I once saw as snake that is very large, yellowish with black circles all over it. It was like a python.