Dreads

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by Sugar Magnolia, May 9, 2004.

1. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i want to get dreads but there's only 2 reasons why i wouldn't. first, i was told i can't wash my hair, and that would gross me out after a while and second, i don't want to have to chop off all of my hair when or if i decide i don't want them anymore. so if anyone could give me some tips that would be awesome

2. ZePpeLinA

ZePpeLinA Jump around!

you could try temporary dreads, just using wax or gel to hold the hair... but if you are certain that you r not willing to spend a few weeks not washing your hair, dreads are not for you, cos it takes even more than that.

I had dreads and got rid of them for the same reason and I had to cut my hair cos I was left with only 2/3 of what it used to be...

dreads are a compromise. they look awesome though. but if you want them to look nice, it takes time and dedication..

3. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

actually, you do need to wash your hair. dirty hair does not dread well because the oils in the hair cause the knots to slide right out. you should wash frequently with a natural soap (unless you have hard water, which will cause the formation of soap scum - then use cider vinegar) stop using conditioners and follow up with a vinegar rinse or lemon juice.

4. We_All_Shine_On

We_All_Shine_On Senior Member

I've got dreads had them since 2 novembers ago. I just washed my hair like 20 mins ago lol

you CAN sit in the tub for like 12 hours and comb them out if they're not totally nappy... good luck with that. it rarely works.
    You should just cut your hair off when ur done.

5. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

yeah you wash them:)
    i even make a special shampoo bar just for my dreaddie customers.
    but if you don't want to have to cut them off in order to change your hair, maybe just take a little longer to think about it?

6. Levi

Levi Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I'm surprised that there are still folks who think that you don't wash dreads. Yuck. I had dreads for about 7 years. Washed them all the time. You know how, when you don't have dreads and your hair is longer than a couple of inches it gets tangled when you wash it? So you use conditioner to make it easier to comb out? Conditioner is to keep your hair from matting up. Dreads are matted hair. Washing your dreads helps them tighten up.

Someone on some other dread thread said that their hair stinks when they don't wash it because of their dreads. UGH! that's so icky and they're giving people with dreads a bad image, like it has to be unhygenic.

7. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i didn't think you never wash it at all i just thought you weren't supposed to wash it when you were just getting started

8. Graham

Graham Member

thats only for 2 weeks, how often do you wash your hair normally?

9. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

if your looking to get your dreads out quicker use http://www.knottyboy.com/remove_dreadlocks.htm
    it works great and is quicker than just useing a comb in the bath tub
    it worked for me!!!
    getting dreads this summer and i cant wait

10. ArtistofPeace

ArtistofPeace Senior Member

I've got dreads...and I just washed my hair yesterday...haha.

The first two weeks I had 'em, I washed them too, because like you, greasy hair kinda freaks me out. I like a clean head. Um, the first few times I washed my hair, I used a nylon stocking and put it over my head so that I could get clean, and not have to worry about damaging my new dreadies. It worked fine, and now...about 3 and 1/2 months later, I can wash my dreads just as if they were regular hair, no nylon required. So yeah...don't stress out so much over the washing hair thing. You can and definitely SHOULD wash your hair...lol.

About the cutting off your dreads...yeah, can't help you there...lol. If you're that attached to your hair and don't think you'd want it short, maybe dreads aren't for you. I personally don't want to cut my hair short...but I'm not thinking about that right now. I'm just enjoying my hair for what it is now. Change is good. I had long hair down to my ass...now I have shoulder-length dreads...and one day, I suppose I'll have short hair...lol.

I personally recommend dreads...they're so much fun! People gripe about how high-maintenance they are and shit...but hey, I just wake up in the morning, shake my head, and go...:)