Dreads!

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Xowie, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Xowie

Xowie Member

Hey everyone!

I'm really embarassed to ask this but well, I kinda need to know...:&

Ok!
    I'm having some (synthetic) dreadlock hair extensions put in next week for my wedding. Now, the place I got them from has some 'aftercare' instructions but I wanted to ask you all what the best way to look after them would be. Also, any tips on keeping the roots of my hair clean!

Thanks guys'n'gals!

Xowie
    XxX

2. The Lex

The Lex Member

go to body mod and then click knoty knowhow. You will get more answers there.

3. Xowie

Xowie Member

Thanks hun! I knew there was a thread somewhere I just couldn't remember where! :&

XxX

4. The Lex

The Lex Member

no prob

5. Freewheelin Franklin

Freewheelin Franklin Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Don't feed them after midnight.

6. dollydagger

dollydagger Needle to the Groove

7. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

synthetic dreads are pointless why would u want to do that.. dreads are the most natural state of being..& you cant be syntheticaly natural

8. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

obviously, thats not true

9. dollydagger

ya know...my post...with the dot....I was going to say something along those lines.....

but I decided not to.....but I think I am now

synthetic dreads go against everything about having dreads....it is an oxymoron!

PS.....congratulations on getting hitched!!

10. knotdirty

knotdirty Over the Rainbow

What soaringeagle and dollydagger said.

Extensions in general are nasty...when you add knotted gnarled acrylic or whatever to the mix...gross.

Why? Why not just go with the hair you have for your wedding?

11. Miss_Beatle

Miss_Beatle Beatlemaniac

I agree. i mean, if you want dreads, why not just get real ones?

12. Willy_Wonka_27

because they take a long time to grow and she wants them for her wedding.

13. knotdirty

That's my point though. Why would you want to suddenly change a huge part of yourself for your wedding?

It's just kind of like slapping on fake tats or something.

14. Willy_Wonka_27

her question isnt "should i?" and its non of your buissness why. she just wants to know how, as far as after care.

15. knotdirty

hey hey, I wasn't the first person to jump on her. I'm sure that as a dread-haver I'm oversensitive to that sort of thing...she'd hear the EXACT same thing from most people in the dread forum anyways.

Just stating my opinion/lack of understanding for the situation. As you're stating yours...it's all good.

I really WOULD like to be enlightened on the fake hair/nails/tats/tan subject. :) I honestly don't understand. If you aren't tan, why fake bake for a special occasion? If you have short nails, why put painful acrylic on there? If you don't have dreads, why do that just for the look of it? Locks are, for most people, a very spiritual and emotional experience. The idea of sticking fake dreads in your hair for appearences sake on a day you're going to be photographed and displayed confuses me. If that's not you, why mutate yourself to look that way? It seems like misrepresentation to me.

16. Willy_Wonka_27

i could see you point the same way as to say, "why wear a wedding dress?" thats a misrepresentation. your never wore a dress like that before, why wear one for your wedding pictures?

17. knotdirty

Exactly!

I'm totally going peasant skirt and barefoot for my wedding, if and when I have one. And I'm NOT piling on makeup...because I don't wear a lot in my day to day life!

I think a wedding should represent the two people who are coming together, and they should look the way they looked when they fell in love. If whoever I marry wants to wear shorts and sandals, awesome!

Different strokes...:) Some people are really into the appearances of weddings...hence spending thousands of dollars and countless hours on that one day!

18. Willy_Wonka_27

yep.

19. dollydagger

I totaly agree with what knotdirty said up there....dread are means for a lot of people to announce their spirituality.....I mean, it is a spiritual thing, not to be taken lightly, or as a fashion statement. If you like the way dreas look, that fine and all, but at least have the respect to KNOW why people sport them and what the are meant to represent....I mean, I like bindis and the red dots on Hindu forheads, but I'm not going to wear it out like a fashion statement.....you dig?

20. Willy_Wonka_27

but you do understand that its not spiritual for everyone correct? for some its fashion, for some its because they just don't want to brush, for some it because they like how dreads look, for some its individuality, for some its spirituality.

everyone is different, and everyone who has dreads, have them for different reasons.

and obviously, dreads or not, not everyone is spiritual.