Dreads vs Career?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by amybird, Feb 4, 2009.

1. WoodsCall

WoodsCall Member

This no dread policy is bad news for me! I'm hoping to get an internship with the Cuyahoga Valley National Park this summer.....hm. I've never had a problem getting a job with dreads and I believe this to be true because I try project an air of confidence during interviews(even tho I'm sweating on the inside).

2. Hyper Grav

Hyper Grav Member

I'm sure people as intelligent and educated as doctors are well aware that dreads can be as clean or dirty as any other hairstyle. The problem is how the patients (customers, clients, etc in other fields) will see you. Imagine the average person needs to get some kind of serious surgery, they meet with their surgeon for the first time, and see he's some 25 year old with big, long dreads. They're gonna think he's a joke or a bad doctor and request a different surgeon thinking the dreadhead would accidentally kill them on the operating table.

Dreads just simply don't look professional. Maybe in a decade or so they'll be accepted, but for now employers look for the people with the best qualifications, so unless your stats are superior, they're just gonna find someone with the same qualifications you had, but without the hair.

No disrespect or anything, but how do you support yourself?

3. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

oooooooooh K first of all doctors may be intellegent and educated but that doesn't mean they know everything! I have met some doctors who obvioulsy are educated but other than that have NO common sense, probably becuase they've had their head in a book for most of their lives. There are different types of clever. and they 'don't look professional' because thats what society leads us to believe. I'm sure there are black doctors out there w/ dreads and I'm sure they get no grief over it. If someone can do something and do it well they should be able to whetever their hairstyle!
    and as for me, first of all I'm a full time mother. My husband works full time and I bring in some money by making jewellery for shops in Dublin, as an artist and a photographer. And when my baby turns 1 I have a job lined up in Lush the handmade soap shop. So I support myself just fine thank you!

4. Hyper Grav

Hyper Grav Member

Of course, I meant society not my own personal opinion. And I didn't mean to offend you, I was just genuinely curious. I apologize, I could of worded the question better.

5. amybird

amybird Senior Member

You also "could of" written could have or could've, so as to make some sense :p

6. Hyper Grav

Hyper Grav Member

Wow. Embarrassing :(

7. phil316k

phil316k Banned

lol amy and her grammar quest....

8. yumyum2k5

yumyum2k5 Member

I have applied for tonnes of jobs but they have all asked for 'Religion' and i have put 'Rastafarian' each time because i dont feel like i need to lie or hide that fact from anyone and i'd rather get that shit out the way at the start.

Im going for a job interview soon and its at a local school near me in a place called Huntingdon that im almost certain phil would have heard of haha.

Im gonna tie my dreads up in a headwrap and if they make my dreads an issue then i will just say to them look 'if my hair is a problem just tell me now and i'll leave' because ive had it up to my arse with slyness and dishonesty and all that jazz so i just want it out the way at the start.

If worse comes to worse and careers dont work out for me in this country then i will leave and volunteer around the world for my life.

For me its beliefs before career really, a career can only give me money and money i dont care for in the slightest. The root of all evil. I'd rather do a job that can help people and i can travel the world with but to tell the truth im scared to give it a go. Anyway babbling now, Hair before Career in my opinion.

9. Humminbird

Humminbird Member

It would depend on how much you need a job, or if you found a job you really wanted - then hey - like you said it's just hair. It will grow back, right? As for stating your religion on an application, forget it. It's none of their damn business. I don't know about the looks of your job economy, but here, you don't want a single reason to be passed over.

10. turnipgranola

turnipgranola Member

Luckily, I have embraced my freak-like self from an early age so I picked a career that would tolerate a lot, hence I am in academia. If it came down to feeding my family or dreads I would feed my family but I doubt that would come up. In fact, I just landed a job and they didn't even ask about them. I can look "professional" when I need to with a simple silk headscarf but luckily most people allow my work and many positive references to speak for themselves.:)

11. phil316k

phil316k Banned

yeah man i know of huntingdon, i go to the cineworld there :), its like a 25min drive ish

12. teknodj

teknodj Member

Hey dude just to give you some light at the end of the tunnel, i've got natural dreads which aren't the neatest, abd 12mm tunnels in my ears. I'm studying mech eng as well.

And you'll never guess but i've just secured a placement with rolls royce, the key to it is being confident, and know your stuff when it comes to the interview!! Maybe you have to work a little harder than the person next to you, but if its what you what then go for it, shine!!!

Best of luck with the studies.

pEacE

13. Arnar

Arnar Member

i think society is slowly starting to accept more "counter cultural" hair styles, tattoos and piercings

14. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

what is interesting is some employers (clients, too) discriminate on the bsis of long hair, women or men.
    "Professional appearance" is loaded.
    Does it mean short hair, shaved, made up (for women only, ya know) and a suit with a dose of mass market cologne?

Or does it simply mean tidy and within dress expectations?

I am told I have to wear my hair up.
    That means "not loose" so a pony tail or braid is a s good as a bun.
    They don't seem to notice the 6-8 ga ears, for now.
    It seems I could dread my hair again, but keep in under a scarf.
    As I'm known locally as observant, covering hair would not be too odd for the folks I work around, or for.

But anyone who is a bit off the median will have to work a bit harder to prove their employee worth, I've found.