Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by dreadiemama26, Jan 30, 2005.

1. dreadiemama26

dreadiemama26 Member

This may seem kinda stupid, but it's not to me. Dreadlocks are a beautiful, NATURAL, wonderful thing......

I am just wondering why are people so fixed on the fashion statement of dreads? Every dreadie i have met in the past 10 years, (except maybe 10) a couple hundred, if not more, have made their dreadlocks, and insist that their hair would not have dreaded naturally.....well anyone's hair will dread naturally, you just have to be patient! It is something that forms as individually and unique as you are yourself. Dreads also help capture the energy of people, and it sort of stays around your head giving you the ablility to read their energy for a longer period of time, getting a clearer picture.

Are my hubby and I the only ones left that didn't out wax or any other type of yucky stuff in their hair to get dreadlocks? All they need is time .....mine took 2 years before it even started.....all you do is stop combing or brushing your hair!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are alot of myths about dreads too.....you don't need to quit washing your hair, as a lot of people seem to think you do......but once they form you might not want to wash it as often as some people do ( every other day) because you'll end up with dread rot, and a head smelling of moldy, musty, yuckiness.

Just wanted to hear other people's opinions on the subject....sorry if i sound stupid. :)

2. jahpiper

jahpiper Member

Hell yes. I dont put the nasty wax in god's knots. i dont have mine for the fashion. My locks knot more and more everyday,so essentially the hands of that which is greater then I is responsible. i dont have locks because of bob marley, or because i get high, so many people have the wrong idea. everything that is, simply, is that which is life.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

Hey sista im in New Brunswick right now.
    check out the shows in NY this weekend theyre bomb.

3. Ngaire

Ngaire Member

i agree with you whole heartedly mama. mine took FOREVER but it was worth it.

4. Myranya

Myranya Slytherin Girl

Hm, I'll believe you if you say so, but two years? What did it look like in the meantime? If I don't comb my hair for a couple days, like when I'm at home, don't have to go anywhere and don't bother, it looks really awful. I mean, it's *really* messy, nowhere near dreaded but just about everywhere in uneven clumps. Did you pick the worst clumps apart with your fingers or anything, or did you leave it alone altogether? Dreads are cool, however just messy, uncombed hair doesn't look anything but, well, messy.

5. redresonant

redresonant Member

wel hey im pete and ive had dreads twice the first set i cut off after 2 years of more or less naturalgrowing they where flat and loopy i had probably ten i called them sleepy dreads since they seemed to form in my sleep..i think i did put wax in it once and found it acted like a conditioner... um so i decided after cutting the natural dreads out all except 2..that i would grow them again ..7 years later i have 30 dreads or so that i kinda babied here and there over the years helped them form no goo or wax and i am alot happier with the the feel of these... but no you dont sound stupid....there are alot of people goin dread for various reasons ..the look -the statement rebelion-...bands wearing dreads...its sexy- i have mine because i love life i love to be free...and choose what i look like..and it is me.....for all true reasons...but people like to talk about it talk about why and how and dreadrot ...which sucks.(dredrot).i dont know where im going with this ...but people will do what they feel is right for them regardless of why another individual thinks is the right reason and the right way...so yes it is a beautiful natural wonderful thing...lets keep "it" alive:)

6. peacehippy

peacehippy Member

so what are the two ways you guys are talking about to get dreds? I mean i have real think course hair, thats just looks like an afro when i grow it out, what are my choices to let it grow into dreds?

7. redresonant

redresonant Member

just do it.

8. YES I CANNABIS

YES I CANNABIS Member

guys with natural dreadlocks are just.. gorgous!!!!!!!!! it's the # 1 thing that attracts me physically, when i see a guy with them i jus gotta talk to him!

9. redresonant

redresonant Member

did you get my pm...

10. paix

paix Senior Member

I agree mama, guys with dreadies *sigh* dreads and beards are sooooo sexy!

11. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

two years without combing your hair!? thats insane...

12. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I had a few dreads in my super straight white girl hair.
    I did comb to start them, about 20 minutes, but then the fidgeting and twirling kept 'em in th esize I was hoping for.
    I wore them, along with a trio of braids on the other side as political statements of solidarity with people who were being discriminated against as the Rastas are in Jamaica and even Ethiopia.
    A Rasta at my college had been ridiculed in class (speech) for his beliefs.
    I walked in the next class with recognizable "dreads" and an attitude that said take me on too, mf.
    Were my dreads "fake?" not in the salon sense. My motives were real and for me that was enough.

13. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

this concept of "natural" dreads really annoys me...

i don't see what's so unnatural about taking a comb, and combing your hair into dreadlocks, then palm rolling them to help them stay in. and like, hey, i like to wash my hair, thanks. so i wasn't about to spend 3 years not washing or brushing my hair. because frankly, when i see people with the "natural" look, it grosses the shit out of me.

nothing wrong with backcombing and palm rolling, if you ask me.

14. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

i have to agree

15. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Well..i would agree...and disagree..

i myself cannot have natural dreadlocks..it's impossible..my hair is so fine and thin and it would never lock up on it's own...i do not brush my hair..ever...and it just stays smooth and unknotted...

i agree that dreadlocks that are natural are way way way kewler..i know 2 mama's off the top of my head who have phat locks and they took years to knot up..i also know like 5 other mama's that are in the process of allowing their hair to dread..i think it is really special...i like to play w/ my one friends hair and find new knots forming..it's really exciting..

and .. i guess the imitation is kewl too..say for people like me...who would like to have locks..but it will not occur naturally...
    also imitated locks can be very neat and look just as groovy as natural locks...
    i dunno..i'm kinda middle of the road on this one..i mean people want instant locks..is it phony or not..i cannot be the one to judge...

all natural!

16. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

It is the spirtual journey and process about dreadlocks that make them special, NOT the way you choose to establish them. I think what is more important these days is for people who wear dreadlocks to know the meaning, importance, history, and culture from which they came. Too many are worn for a fashion statement...you should be caring more about whats inside the head wearing the locks more than they way their locks came to be. Back combing is natural too...its speeding up the process but they are still locks. There are people mis-representing dreadlocks by not knowing the true meaning of what their hair means, isn't that the more important issue?
    I backcombed mine in, I do not use wax...why is that not natural? I don't touch them... they do their own thing now. :)
    loving you all,
    Eryn

17. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

of course.

18. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

right on. i totally agree with you. couldn't have said it better myself. right on, man. :)

backcombing your hair into dreads is not an "imitation", nor is it "phony." when you backcomb your dreads in, they still take years to become "dreads." there is quite a period of time where, with a little work, they can be brushed out. they still go through the process of growing, and tightening, and forming into full on dreadlocks. i've had mine for two years now, and they're not going anywhere. but it still took me a looooong time, and aloooot of patience through messy baby dreads. dreadlocks are a constant, lifelong process. mine still have alot of growing and forming and tightening to do. and hey, guess what, they're not greasy and smelly!!! rock on.

19. measa420

measa420 Member

ive had dreads twice and are letting them go again its been about a year and my heads about half and half dreads to me tell there own story and thats just an excerp of the person with the dreads

to society (never judge a book by it's cover)