Dreadlocks

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by TreePhiend, May 8, 2004.

1. beatniksik

beatniksik Member

freakyjoeman, you look hot, i have dreads, well i like to call them LOCKS cuz' aint shit dreadful about em, anyways yeah there you go.

2. sprout

sprout DeadHead

I whole-heartedly agree:cool:, nothing dreadful about them.

3. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

right on, man. i´ve had mine for almost three years, too and they have definately become a source of spirituality for me. they were started off by backcombing, but then the best decision i ever made regarding them was to not do anything at all. the more you fuck with your dreads, the worse off they´ll be. seriously. whatever you do may have short-term effects, but in the long run, you´re just hurting them even more.
    for me, locks are a connection with the natural world - a way to embrace nature. i remember saying to myself once that "i´m not going to let anymore locks combine" (because many already had). well, shortly thereafter, about half of my head started combining into 1 lock. just goes to show you that you cant control nature, you just have to let it run its course.
    having locks has also been one of the greatest life-teachers i´ve ever had. all you have to do is "look" and you´ll see how.
    also, something else i´ve noticed is that most of the time, i can feel through my dreads. like, if you squeeze the end of one - and it´s clearly not even close to my head - i can still kinda feel it. not in the conventional sense, tho, but in the way that you can "feel" a sunset. all i know is that there´s something more there than just hair.

4. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

that's precious! hahahaa

5. Lani

Lani Member

I wholeheartedly agree its more than just hair to some people, its a statement...but hell when mine got all messed up in the roots and started being itchy like hell i had only one choice...:( i do miss them, but sometimes its nice to just go swimming (as i LOVE swimming) and not having to worry about them (they would get all weird and smelly and itchy)..maybee im just not meant to be :(

6. ThreeLeaves69

ThreeLeaves69 Member

have you ever wondered where dreads came from....i mean how they came about??

someone once told me that in africa somewhere there is a cave painting that shows a man will his locks wrapped around the world,

but for me... when im tripping, i see peoples hair in dreads....and i think that dreads are just a way of making that vision more real.

but maybe its just the lacking of energy to comb your hair.....
    eh i dunno...

any ideas???

7. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

matted hair is the natural state of it - if you dont do anything to your hair, it WILL knot up. there is no culture, time period, etc. that can claim to be the origin of matted hair. and it´s not something that just happens to humans, either. all it is is nature.

8. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

intheflesh-my adivce would be to do absolutely nothing...give them time and they will form as they will...pateince is the key;)

iv been letting my hair dread naturally for about 7 months now...its been quite a spiritual process and iv learned alot about myself and the world around me. they remind me of where iv been and where im going...the whole dreading process is amazing

9. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I will have some ol phatty natties myself in about a week or two

go to www.dreadheadhq.com for instructions, pics, products, anything dreads...

10. jay

jay Member

wow,
    am i the only one around that shaves his head. I had longer hair once but it was just to hot for me i dont know how you guys do it.
    Though i have to say one the best feeling is after shaving you head for the first time going outside and feeling the wind or the rain touch your head. its like nothing else

11. GaiasGypsieChild13

GaiasGypsieChild13 Member

Say Im crazy but dreads are as trees; They grow bigger over time, they become more mature and wise with time, when young they seem theyll never grow.

I have had dreads for three years now and I am keeping them until my time to fly with the midnight stars in the sky. I encourage people to get them for the following reasons :

1.They are earth friendly ;they take no products to maintain them( no brush, shampoo/conditioner, hairsray/gel) absoutly nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. When I woke up this morning it took me 0 minutes to do my hair.
    3.Its a natural process, knoting, matting and messing up into dreads
    4.You learn that society tells you dreads are bad, and when you keep them and refuse to take them out, you are fighting for your rights. Trust me I have had tons of people tell me, " oh you were so much prettier with your 'normal' hair", or " youll never find a job with dreads". All these negative thrashes are to make you more powerfull, and less suseptable to peoples opinions for change. Be your self, dreads or no dreads " Be true to thye self"

12. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

^^^^ same here. people always tell me i looked better without them, and that jobs will be harder to find. any job that doesn't accept me for me, is not a job i want to work at!!

one thing about keeping dreads for life, tho. they're very heavy when they get bigger and therefore, put alot of strain on the roots. which could cause you to go bald. for this reason, and the fact that i still want to try other hairstyles one day, i know that i won't keep my dreads forever. i still want them for a few more years, though. i've had them for about a year and a half, and i want them to get REALLY long and REALLY big before i decide i'm gunna cut them.

i love dreads. always have, always will. but i think a day will come when i will grow bored of them and go for something else. even when that day comes, i may grow my hair back and get them again. :)

oh, and to whoever posted the link to dreadheadhq.com, www.knottyboy.com is way better! :p

13. MelvnDoo

MelvnDoo Member

yeah... from my experience, www.dreadheadHQ.com is NOT a good place - johnnyclean is an asshole. i´d never trust the guy again. and knottyboy isnt much better... i´m moreso saying that wax is really bad, but go ahead and get whatever else you want from those places. just stay away from wax.
    a friend of mine cut his dreads off long ago, but then cut one in half to see what was inside. he used wax for only a little bit:

14. MEltingpOpsicle3

MEltingpOpsicle3 Member

I have dreads, I love them, there easy. Right now there a little crazy but in a few yrs they will be perfect I hope hahaha. I'm going to have them till I die.
    what was in the middle of his dread?

15. GaiasGypsieChild13

GaiasGypsieChild13 Member

Yeah, that stuff in the middle of the dread is nasty ass wax. ewwwwww
    I used wax for two years and I had to cut off soooooo much beacuse of the nasty resedue inside. I am still chopping bits off until the natural part grows in more. If you wash you hair in the sea, or with sea salt water it helps mat the dreads perfectly when you sleep. The sea salt really cleanses the dreads, and it also gets die out too. Also it is natural and only costs $1 per pound.I do it about twice a week, and it has made my dreads so much sweeter.
    Post pictures of your dreads!! I will try but the dam file isnt working!!!!!

16. LoveLight

LoveLight Member

ok. i have pretty long thick hair and i want dreads but i dont want to use wax..i just want them to kinda just grow in..now what do i have to do, do i just stop washing my hair or do i twist them..i dont know..

17. sprout

sprout DeadHead

YES! That is a big problem if you're in a small closed-minded town but not so much in the city or other cool places but the job market dosen't like the dreads and I've had my share of the hard times finding work.

18. jailmate

jailmate Plantenist

Yuh eHder got um or uh don't.

get it?

19. rockin_CO

rockin_CO Member

right on...you don't GET em....you are blessed wit em

20. HaveANiceTripp

HaveANiceTripp Member

how do i dread my hair naturally?