Dreadlocks In The News.....

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Reverand JC, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

This was in the news out here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaYy0Cw1lUU

In this case in my opinion the woman is clearly in the wrong.

Since I started growing my dreads I've been preparing myself for such a confrontation. So I looked up dreads from a cultural historical perspective. I appreciated him mentioning Egypt but that seemed to set up more bullshit. The Saddhus (Spiritual Renunciates) in India also have dreads. When the Romans invaded England and Scotland they wrote that the natives had "Hair like snakes". The Vikings had dreads. So it isn't necessarily emulating black culture.

I also wonder if she gets her nose out of joint when she sees white kids appropriating Hip Hop culture which in my eyes is racist since it is based on a negative stereotype of black culture propagated by white record executives to sell more records.

C/S,
    Rev J

2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

there is no question that BOTH acted poorly

3. Reverand JC

At least the dude tried to walk away.

C/S,
    Rev J

4. Rivehn

Rivehn Member

Yeah saw this posted in another thread earlier. Not to sure what to say tbh i would have just walked away. I'v experienced this a few times already.

5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Me, too...Me, too...as I always do in real life...just walk away....and i showed Stan what i wrote in other thread last night.....and he said, why are you stooping to that level......? You walk away from things in real life. that is not you. he is right.

Makes me seriously think about things.

6. Reverand JC

To me if he was wearing an army jacket with the Rasta Sgt. Stripes that said "Jah Warrior" then I would call it assimilating black culture. This was just a hippie kid.

C/S,
    Rev J

7. porkman420

porkman420 Members

lol people are stupid. i cant see the video posted JC but im pretty sure i know what video it is. i just dont understand peoples mentality these days

8. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Members

I cannot see the film clip says I need to log in I was logged in how to you think that I got here this forum leaves me a bit angry there is no direction.

9. Silverthorne

Silverthorne Members

I got here to talk about the path that I am heading to never getting my hair cut or trimmed again and finding someone to explain how to make the entry to Dreads. It is or was not to complain about what someone else likes or dislikes in the style. Thanks for the heads up though on the history of Dreads. As Bohemian living as I am dreads on my friends fits them and I want to join in the fun here in Eugene Oregon a college town with pluses.