dreadlock truth (Ongoing Debate)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by soaringeagle, Mar 12, 2008.

1. PeaceLove&Tea

PeaceLove&Tea Guest

Getting picked on is not what means most too me. Im just really confused with the whole dreads thing. and this board helps. its just all a bit intimidating. ive gotton soo much information on how backcombing works and then this dude with brilliant dreads telles me not to backcomb.

2. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

backcombung i an option im not saying dont backcomb just saying you dont have to
    u can dread naturaly in weeks months or up to a year (depending on hair type some take very lil time others take forever

if u do backcomb keep this in mind do it only onvce if it comesapart leave it to drewad on its own it can hurt alotand itds agressivce and can teAr hait apart even rip alot out at the roots

going atural is alot more gentle and loving to your hair

backcomberd dreads have alot less personality are more uniform and look manufactured

if your a lawuyyer or omething yuppyish this is probly ther way to go
    but if you want more natural looking dreads id suggest takingthe slow route its alot more enjoyable and less painul

3. vermonthippiee

vermonthippiee Sundari's Madness

Backcombing gets a bad rap, but I do agree with Eagle. Only do it once. omg I have seen people's locks fall out because of obsessive backcombing. I got mine started with backcombing and now I do nothing else but palm roll them and wash them every 5-7 days with Dr bonners soap. I have one little brat of a lock at the nape of my neck that will not stay put. It is because he is wicked short. he is now nicknamed "ox" cuz he is stubborn. I will not backcomb him again, but let him lock on his own. The rest however are coming along.

You need to do what feels right to you. Growing locks are a spiritual journey, no doubt about it. So you must go from the heart and really feel if what you are looking for is right and makes sense to you. Otherwise you will find yourself misrable and frustrated, no matter what you do.

Brightest Blessings
    Sundari:peace:

4. nakedtreehugger

nakedtreehugger craaaaaazy

while i think natural could be a great way to go, and sometimes wish i had done that with my own.... i have to ask:

do my dreads look like they have no personality?

do they look uniform or manufactured in any way?

'cause i backcombed them. :D and i think they're pretty rockin'!

5. vermonthippiee

AMEN SISTA!!!!! I could not have said it better. and no they rock my socks!!!:cheers2:

6. nakedtreehugger

and here's a couple of pics of one of my dreads to back up my totally not manufactured or uniform look... i call this one squiggly wiggly. he's all fucked up in the best kinda way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. vermonthippiee

he reminds me of my one that sticks up... I call him OX cuz he is stubborn !!!! LOL

8. nakedtreehugger

oh honey... talk about sticking up... this guy broke off when i un-combined them, and he LOVES to stick up. it's a pain in the ass!

[​IMG]

9. vermonthippiee

LOL yeah looks just like my ox... pain in the ass....

10. nakedtreehugger

yup... that's shorty. i always tuck him underneath another dread that (usually) sits on top of where shorty is. but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way, and i realize i've been walking around for hours with this wierd crazy little midget of a dread sticking out the top of my head. :rolleyes:

11. vermonthippiee

yeah gotta love him anyhoo right?:p

12. nakedtreehugger

lol... yeah, but he's like the redheaded stepchild... i'll love him more when he's longer and not so crazy in my face! :D

13. vermonthippiee

I guess that is the upside I have for OX. he is at the nape of my neck...

14. PeaceLove&Tea

PeaceLove&Tea Guest

Thank you guys for the help. ill deffinatly go the natural way.
    =]

15. ImaginePeaceVt

ImaginePeaceVt Member

I hear that if i have straight hair braiding it first and keeping it in for a few weeks will help the process. is that true?

16. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

ive hheArd thAt too but dunno it would result in thin dreads tho

17. vermonthippiee

not a problem:peace:

18. vermonthippiee

YAY another vermonter!!!! welcome

:peace:

19. nakedtreehugger

the best thing (i think) for super straight hair, unless you want to go neglect....

section the hair while it's wet, and braid the sections while the hair is still wet. leave at least overnight, so the hair gets nice and wavy. then proceed to backcombing dry hair. the wavyness will help the hairs catch each other and create knots. i would even venture to say some sea salt water wouldn't hurt either, to help create a bit of friction. sea salt would be ok to stay in the hair the first 3-4 days before your first wash. this might help the dreaddies stay in.

hope that helps!

20. ImaginePeaceVt

ImaginePeaceVt Member

The thing about that is i dont want my dreads to look manufactured, i want them to look natural. so, i dont know about backcombing...