dreadlock truth (Ongoing Debate)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by soaringeagle, Mar 12, 2008.

1. roguette

roguette Member

I'm leaving my bangs un-dreaded as well (although from that picture, I don't think my bangs are as long as yours).

I decided to do that to remind myself how well my dreads are coming along compared to the hair that I'm still brushing/maintaining as "regular" hair. I also didn't want dreads in my face, but will consider dreading that part of my hair once it gets longer. If I were to dread my bangs now, there'd be no where for them to fall but right in front of my eyes!

2. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

Same here as well. Although dreading will take me sooo long :( my bangs are three times as long as the rest of my hair exept for the two dreads. The rest is 3.9 inches long.. how the hell is that ever going to knot up:p I wish I could make my hair grow 4 inches in 5 minutes :p
    @nympfsue: You're right: dont listen to peoples criticism, if you like your hair, just keep em going ^^

3. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

last saturday i met a guy who used to have dreads so he said and he told me that for a caucasion person dreads only last about ten years, around that time they get all screwed up that they have to be lopped off. but soaring eagle seems to have had his for a lime time and they look great! is there anyone else here who has had theirs longer than 10 years?

4. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i know alotta caucasions who have had em as long as me or lonfger, 1 guy is going on 35 years now
    i'm guessing that guy ya met used wax or something so surprised they lasted 10 years

5. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

Maybe afro people can get them quicker, but I thin k it is total bullshit that caucasian people cant have longlasting dreadlocks. The cavemen had them also, they never combed their hair and I suppose they turned out fine too :p
    But anyhoo, when your hair is knotted up it basically becomes frizzy at some points. When I combed mine out (BIG mistake..BIG HUGE mistake) m hair was all frizzy and afro like.
    I'm on not combing for about a week and a half now (did'nt comb last week because of lack of time).. it looks messy but it refuses to knot. too short I guess, takes more time

6. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

Omg I'm knotting up XD Clockwise rubbing really works on shorter hair

7. LiquidSoul

LiquidSoul Member

nah that's false. I know plenty of white people who have had dreads for more than 10 years.

8. gaiabee

gaiabee Member

^same here... what a ridiculous thing to say.

9. Mystic_red

Mystic_red Member

^ me too i know alot of white ppl that have had em for longer then 10 years ...hmmm wered he get his info frm:S

10. mandy420

mandy420 Member

im about to get dreads..and ive been looking for natural ways,so thanks for the advice

11. Mystic_red

Mystic_red Member

i too am about to get dreads and natural i rekon is the way to go ...maybe a bit of back combing as i was told its mite help those who wanted a certin size like not to big and also mite help u to no which to keep seperate ...dunno if thats true tho?

12. Midnight_Toker420

Midnight_Toker420 Member

i need to dye my hair back to it's natural color and then im gonna start =D my hair is so thin (from all the dying and bleaching =[ ) so im hoping it wont be too difficult. my brother has given up numerous times and his hair is thicker than mine.

*crosses fingers*

oh and after reading the whole argument, i side with the old guy with awesome dreads :)

13. soaringeagle

lol im the old guy now? gee thanks..lol
    im not old i just retired when i was still in my 20's..lol
    the rat race just wasnt for me

14. Laka

Laka Member

alright, after searching through this site im strongly leaning towards getting dreads.

ive read your orginal post, but im curious on how long it would actually take for your hair to grow.
    see, i have school in about a month. would be great if i had them by then.
    also i have work, and id rather not work with seemingly uncared for hair.

also curious, i have an afro style so i already have a decent about of length of hair but ive combed it out a good amount. I also have majority an african american type hair.

so in my situation, could you give me any idea on how long it would take?

15. soaringeagle

id guess in a month youd be pretty dready. just from your description

with your hair type u maybe could start em off by just twistin a few sections then leave em be
    except to keep em seperated so they dont grow together too much
    wear a wool hat alot but seperate em when u take it off

keep a photo journal, im guessin that 3-4 weeks iu should see significant progress
    ofcourse they will take lil more time to mature
    but with your hair type the progress should be relatively quick..

16. Midnight_Toker420

Midnight_Toker420 Member

all the best love man, you are pretty damn cool. im 17, and i consider anyone outside my dating range old :D

17. soaringeagle

lol well my dreads are older then you and on my second set so maybe your just young..lol
    not that any of that matters people are people any other clasifications just a waste

18. Midnight_Toker420

Midnight_Toker420 Member

damn that is a crazy thought, hair older than me. something you really never think about you know?

19. PeaceLove&Tea

PeaceLove&Tea Guest

what is exactly wrong with the backcombing method? and i know you might get angry with this question but how is a way i can get dreads quickly? like over the next summer at the slowest? i dont feel like getting picked on for messy hair at school...

20. Midnight_Toker420

Midnight_Toker420 Member

if getting picked on is what matters most to you i dont suggest getting dreads.