dreadlock truth (Ongoing Debate)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by soaringeagle, Mar 12, 2008.

1. roguette

roguette Member

When you sleep with new dreads (i.e. when you're trying to make dreadlocks naturally), would it be better to put all your hair in a loose ponytail, or just sleep with it freely?

I took the rubber bands out of my hair today, because I feel like it's keeping my hair from moving freely and preventing the roots from knotting, but now I'm worried I won't be able to "find" the individual dreads once I wake up. When I sleep with my hair down regularly (before I started dreading), I always wake up with it a million times more knotted than if it were tied back.

Sounds good for dreading, but I'm worried I won't be able to find them in the morning!

2. springheeleddah

springheeleddah Member

3. springheeleddah

springheeleddah Member

where is Villi boy? xD

oooops. wait.

"i hate WAXXXXXX!"

there he goes. just wait. all i have to do is wait. :toetap05:

:p

4. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

i get really bad congos everytime i wash my dreads, i rip them apart right when i'm finished washing then i have to do it again when i get out of the shower and once more when they are dried. and then again in the morning when i wake up. i've had a few bad ones that i had to cut inbetween the inflicted dreads and now i have little stalks of short hair sticking up on top of my head lol.

5. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

how long ya had em howed u start em? its an adjudstment period at 1st while they decide what hairs belong in what dreads and some hairs just dont beling in any existing dreads and want to form theyre own
    im guessing if u gotta do it so often your not getting em seperated all the way to the roots so the root hairds are still crossing every which way rip em as much as u can then woek your fingers all the way inder and remaininmg connecting hairs near the scalp and break the connecting hair with your finger
    once theres a lil fuxzz between them the hairs will either grow into the nearest 1 form theyre own, or need to be ripped again..eventualy though the process will be less tedius as more hairs go where they should and less where they shouldnt
    by the time the fuzz between dreads gets a couple to few inches long you'll find baby dreads popping up

6. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

i started about six weeks ago, i sectioned them and backcombed, i did use wax cause at that point i hadn't realized it aint all tha great. yeah it's kinda weird the hairs just go where they want, some hair will come out of the middle of one and get all knotted up into another one. the roots are really notorious. i wouldn't mind too much but i don't want a uni-dread. sprouting baby dreads? how cute!

7. soaringeagle

oh damn hmm that shouldnt be happening have you agressively tried remoiving all the wax? usualy congos only combine at the roots
    seems like whats going on is your hairs glued together not dreaded so a loose hair escaped the goo only to get stuck in more goo in a neighbouring dread

if u can find the wax removal thread (bump it maybe since it was never stickied(no pun intended) ) get all the wax out ..if you have excessive friz use a lil aloe gell but in general let the friz alone it'll settle into the dread

lets see a piccture i think i know why theyre misbehaving but pics help alot

when your wax free see if ya dont have alot less work to do ripping ..

8. Joffree

Joffree Member

Well that was a snazzy bit o info. Me and my bright ideas, i did backcomb my hair, and added wax. It hasn't turned into a big mess but i do have loops and twists, but god do I love them. And I agree leaving the dreads alone, and just doing some "random" maintence keeps them looking their best. Wash them twice ( or more if you tend to get extra dirty) a week with residue free shamppo and I blow dry them so i can pull them back. BIG TIP; dont pull them up when went, when you do you tend to get that mildewy smell and thats just nasty. And take a dip in the ocean, the salt water seems to feel a tighter. As for wax, thats your own choice, i wax about twice a week and each dread gets less than a small M&M, just to try and keep them looking less frizzy... So far thats all the experence i have , and mine are 3 months old.
    ~Joffree

9. soaringeagle

every m&m bit of wax ya put in week after week adds up since it never comes out. 3 months in the m&m's add up to a bag full
    get it out

aloe takes care if frizz better and rinces out cklean and is good fort skin and hair alike

friz is part of the process and doesnt need to be controlled
    controling friz retards the process frizz has tio friz in order to move to where it wants to be
    glueing it down will only prevent it from finding a home and when that glue is scraped away or melts in opr whatever the friz retuens..requiring more wax ok say ya have 40 ftrads.. at 3 months ya add the weaight of 40 bags of m&m's..if you continue waxing foir years, you add pounds AZnd pounds...trust me at 18 years ya dont wanna add any extra weight you dont need

once a week thats 12 m&m';s in 3 months theres more then 12 in a bag so maybe countingall your dreads ya only have 4 or 5 bags full on all together but it will add up..wax never comes out without extreme effort..

whats so horrible about frizz anyway? vanity will lead to nasty dreads everytime

actualy thats lil exagerated,

10. soaringeagle

hmm it cut off the ends ok the exageration was ya only added 12 m&?m';s to each dread not a full bag but all together maybe 5-10 bags total..and adding moire every week..remembver wax never comes out..not without extreme efffort..you keep adding more and they'll get sticky and heavy
    why bother? whats so bad about frizz? vanity will lead to yucky dreads 9 times outta 10
    frizz just means your dreads are extra clkean..love the frizz

11. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

Backcombing has worked allright for me, but you are right about products: oils and stuff they sell for dreadlocks cannot make them develop faster, it only moisturizes the hair a bit, when dreads are older.
    I really regret combing mine out, I'm starting over now I miss them so much XD
    I have one fat one on the front I did by backcombing and two older ones attached to a knot/backcombed clump at the back wich is dreading allright, but I'm planning to do the rest all natural. Not only because the rest of my hair is now way too short to backcomb, but also because I want them to come to a shape of their own, so my hair can do what it feels like and just form into dreads.
    My hair is now about 10 cm long exept for the two dreads, have any advice? I know it'll probably take another year before it dreads

12. soaringeagle

not nesacarily..go camping for a month or so (when its at least a few inches long) and just dont even think about it awhile wash in a stream or river
    ifyou just forget all about it and just let it do what it wants ya maybe surprised to find a few dreads srtarting quicker then ya expected

13. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

Thanks for the advice ^^ So now it is 10 cm so 3.9 inches long it should start to get itself dreading naturally right?
    Sadly I just got back from camping out for a week with my boyfriend wich was very nice and nature in our country is very beautiful, but now I have to do with my own backyard :p

I wash my hair using lets dred shampoo, wich consists of natural oils and smells like incense its really cool you all should try it! If good it has no residu, and it really cleans your hair like it should instead of perfumating and fattening it.

14. pazbaya

pazbaya Member

I aggree with yous eagle. Grew my hair out for a year then decided to enter the process to knot up. Sectiond and backcombed the first week...took the needle to the ends and even threw little dimes of wax in them..they were okay..par even.

Month six of the religious ceremony that became a weekly wash, seperate backcomb add wax. They werent pretty but they were my lokks, my nappy knot of love, they were the extentions of my mind.

Went another year and didnt use too much wax, backcomb, wash and let it go....well my 18 month old lokks got chopped off, they had fallen victim to grime and critters...but what I found out to be amazing is when I cutt them, yeay I cried.. but the funk, the layers and layers of grime I found throughout each dread was from what I figured was the wax I put it soo tentatively.

Im working on my length now....the second time around I know what Im doing...much respect and love Eagle..keep them going.

15. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

oh i guess it's pretty rare that hairs go from the middle from one dread to another, i have found it maybe 3 times yes it's mostly at the roots. 99% of the wax is out and there's nothing else in there. i have one large dread that isn't knotted up near the top and i can stick my finger inside and feel a bit of wax but i'll take care of that tonight. will put some pics in my album in a few minutes.

thanks!

16. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

so you haven't had any problems with salt water? i have been wondering about that because i thought maybe salt would get into the dreads and make problems. i couldn't imagine not going into the ocean it's my home away from home

17. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i don't have any pictures of the congos because this morning i already seperated them but i'm due to wash them sunday and that's when they get bad, after i wash them so i'll try to take pics of the congos but here are my loops and bumps

18. SpaceChive

SpaceChive Member

They look so nice! The loops are a good sign and I think it makes dreadlocks extra special, because there aren't two exactly the same. So unique!

19. soaringeagle

love the loopsn bumps umm the 1st pic is there a rubber band in there>?
    i think i see something near the roots
    both pics look like ya might not be fgetting em seperated all the way toi the roots but hard to tell, also..looks like u got some areas that are still undreaded hair that kloose hair will try finding a home in a drewad unless it forms its owwn so espoecialy if ya tie it up alot it could attach to any old dread clear in the other side of your head

damn bad spelling ..just woke up havent had my coffee yet..heehee not focused

20. nympfsue

nympfsue Member

thanks spacechive and soaringeagle!
    soaringeagle yes there's a rubberband and the undreaded hair is my bangs which i didn't dread (i just like the way it looks i've gotten alot of critisism about it but i like it so that's what i'm doing) some of it i pulled into the ponytail by accident. the bang hairs aren't getting mixed into the dreads or forming dreads, i comb them every few days or so.