dreadlock truth (Ongoing Debate)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by soaringeagle, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Labeu

Labeu Member

why should it fuckin scream unhealthy and bacteria? First off your body is full of bacteria,billions of them, most of them are harmless and even some are good for you. Stupid comment. Second, he washes hes hair once a week, did you actually expect hem to wash hes hair every single day ( especially with the kind of hair mass on hes fuckin head)? How many times per week should he wash it then? Technically if you think about it, humans dont need shampoo, theve lived for centuries without it. Once a week looks pretty damn good to me. Forget your stupid comments , my say about wax, cause i agree 100 percent with what eagle is saying. You dont need it for dreads,it doesnt help your hair dread, its just makes it look ''prettier'' for a month or two. Whats the point off even using it? Honestly.

2. Villi

Villi Member

Sorry for my thinking carrying around 25 lbs of mud and dirt in your hair for a week is gross and unhealthy =)

3. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

was never for a week never more then a few hours just from camp to the river thru a ton of mud u pick up alot
    muds not unhealthy at all though its wonderful stuff to roll around in its earth its g5reat for your skin.. its protective and cooling
    it comes right off with water
    youve never been in the woods or swam in anything but a pool?
    the earth is made of ..earth...how can u feel connected to the earth withouyr rouching it? feeling it between your toes..

perhaps the biggest danger of products likje wax is the seperation from the natural process, nature takiung its course and feeling connected with the flow

dreads are roots that reach towards the earth..reconnecting you with the spirit..

i say keep ypour dreads clean often but mud is clean dirt.. it doesnt harm dreads it washes out..its not sticky like the grime of the city
    or like wax and gunk

they dont get muddy often buyt a mudy river rinces em clean and 1 wash gets em really clean

they actualy feel cleaner after draggin thru mud a month then they do a week in the city
    as long as i get in the river to demud daily
    well even if i didnt it would dry n flake off n out
    its clean enough to suck on ..
    n i kno what was growin in that mud...theyve been caked in mud full of staff n ecoli n who knows what...
    n theyre clean enough to suck on..nuthin gets trapped in but maybe cotton or wool fuzzes
    if i ever hadwax or gels in my hair wopuldnt be this clean..

ive used heavy conditioners at most..but veryyyyyy rare n havent in years n years

my haires very soft very clean very healthy and strong

some dreads are microdreads..very thin but very tight n long
    lik1 1 is 1 millimeter thick by maybe 3or 4 splits 1/2 way down

1 dreads got a fuzzy dragon critter...its got a creature with 2 drewads that make a 8 inch beak then 2 that form ears or euybrows right b4 it conects to the neck..

me dreads are the way they grew each and every 1 unique and beautiful...

4. melissabee

melissabee ~BabbLe TraNsMiTTeR~

Dragons have beaks?

5. Villi

Villi Member

Might I add that that, was a stupid comment.
    Because technically, humans don't need and have lived centuries without:
    deoderant, tooth past, tooth brushes, cooked meat, cakes, ect ect.
    So are you telling me you're going to quit brushing your teeth, wearing deoderant, and eatting modern day food also?

6. soaringeagle

i dont eat meat or wear deoderant so yea

7. LiquidSoul

LiquidSoul Member

all you have to do is wash maybe about every 3-4 days to start, with an organic non-residue shampoo. look around on the board, you can find pretty much all the info you need there.

8. LiquidSoul

LiquidSoul Member

SoaringEagle, I gotta say man, I have a ton of respect for you and the way you live your life. Villi you should also show some respect to him, you act like you know more than him. When you put your ego aside, it's amazing how much you can learn. he has had his dreads for years and years, I would think he knows a thing or two about locks, don't you? Some people are so disconnected from nature that they just do not understand the intimate connection we have with this planet...

9. Villi

Villi Member

I don't have an ego, you're mistaken in that department. And if it comes across that way, sorry.
    I don't find much to learn when all his responses are just "let it do it's own thing". I respect him and his locks on the standard. I have my mind open, I just don't find he does with his and he lacks knowledge in things he states are "evil".

I don't know any of you personally, and you don't know me personally either. Your judgement on my disconnection isn't right. I may not be connected deeply with this... "planet". But I'm spiritually connected, and in more ways than that.

10. Spookytheferret

Spookytheferret Member

wow. so true.

11. shirasong

shirasong Member

i know this post hasn't been touched in about a month but I wanted to say that I think every person's head is different, maybe SoaringEagle and the people s/he knows haven't needed to do anything to their hair, and maybe Villi and those on Villi's side have needed more help. There are so many different hair types and everyone's hair acts differently - my hair is so ridiculously thin that I'm sure nothing would hold in it without at least a little help, while my boyfriend, who is trying to dread his hair, has an incredibly thick head of hair like that of a black and portuguese mix (which he is). He's been following the same tacts that SoaringEagle suggests for about two months now and has one dread. Literally, one dread. So I got him some wax, before I read this, and he hasn't used it yet, because he's read these same arguments all over the web.

Anyway my point is in here somewhere, and it's that I think you're all being silly to accuse one another of acting like they know everything, because no one can truly answer what works best for each individual.

12. soaringeagle

2 months and 1 dread going natural is not bad progress natural takes time and dresads form on theyre own schedule ..but do you mean 1 huge dread? if so he needs to just keep seperating em better

if u meanh 1 dread the rest undreads then give it 2 more months and he'll have a dozen 4 months and a head full

13. ShortyAH

ShortyAH Member

That's right, patience.. I'm at one month and just got knot everywhere (which is great) if at two I got one dread it's nice.

14. shirasong

shirasong Member

lol no i don't mean one huge dread i mean one little...funny though, today he located a new one, two months and two dreads, sounds about right according to you? he just kinda plays with them when sitting around, which is what i believe you said in the first post, soaringeagle.

15. springheeleddah

springheeleddah Member

im in my 2nd week now and im doing the neglect method. can anyone give me any recipes (organic and all-natural diy washes to wash with my hair. e.g. boiled lemongrass ). i want my dreads to look all natural and very matte so im doing this method. good thing a found this site. feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew.. a good breather really. and also, give me few more guidelines for this. and yeah, mine is getting itchy at times, what can i do when this happens (scaling and all that, what to use?) ? i washed my hair about 3 times in 2 weeks and will stick to that routine but if anyone negates this method then i would reconsider. well, i think im getting enough progress with this as patience is the key. :p

16. Friends

Friends Member

is there a website where i can order residue free shampoo? like bronners or something better that i think im hearin about? i havent really looked offline due to my location.

17. ZippyMischief

ZippyMischief Member

you can order from amazon.com or the bronners website. If you have a GNC or a vitamin shoppe you can pick up some bronners there. Oh, and some A & P supermarkets have it as well.

18. LiquidSoul

LiquidSoul Member

haven't tried lemongrass, but baking soda works great.I've also heard of people using some kind of red clay....as for the itchiness, I just get mine wet whenever it stasrts to itch. I think it is just from your scalp adjusting.

19. extremelylara

extremelylara Guest

wow. vicious debate everyone. i got a question on The Seperation of the Dreads (cue booming classical music)... what if you let em go too long and they all clumped together on the parts where your head rests on the pillow... like mine have done (sad face). I've torn apart all that i can, now it's scissors or nothing to separate them. unless someone has a better idea.
    o yeah soaring eagle i'm with you- i NEVER wash my hair - well, maybe 3 times a year. and the odd thing is, of all my boyfriends (pre-marriage), i've never gone out with a guy who washes his hair either. its not a deliberate thing, obviously, more a subconscious thing. Nor anyone who uses deodorant (eww). it hasn't worked that way with vegetariamism: i been vegan for 17 years, but never gone out with another vegan. i don't even know any other vegans (?!)

20. LiquidSoul

LiquidSoul Member

That's called a congo when they join together. The only ones I have had to rip so far are also on the back of my head. If you don't want them to join, tear those suckers apart....or just let em grow together. If they are really stuck together, you can always snip a little with scissors, but I would be careful doing that.