dreadlock truth (Ongoing Debate)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by soaringeagle, Mar 12, 2008.

1. LovingSunshineDaily

LovingSunshineDaily Member

or soaring eagle if you could give a little walk through with starting them .

2. Fire_Godd

Fire_Godd Member

Is there any certain length of hair needed before you start the dreading process? My hair length is at about 8 inches.

Also, when you wash dreads, how do you do it? The "scratching and rubbing" shampooing method I've used all my life seems like it would seperate the dreads.

Sorry if these were newbie questions, I've wondered about dreading my hair for a while now but no one in my area knows what they are talking about.

3. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

ah ok didnt see new question till now
    washin i st ccetrte on the calm then rince it thru give iut a good ol shake out

to start natural just toss away your comb get a hat week be week feel for progress and sepeate 1 from another

shorter hair might dread lil sloiwer at 1st but even a babies hair dreads in a few months

4. JudgeDreadz

JudgeDreadz Member

Look, Soaring eagle pretends like he knows what hes talking about.. some of your stuff is correct.. but you talk like all products are useless.. look i started my dreads myself with tea tree wax. they locked up real tight. (btw im black). i have gone to a salon and got my dreads repressed. guess what, the loctician there used all natural products on my hair that dont stick in. since then ive used some cheap products I have found in hair salons.. i use Rasta Locks and Twists. Dont try to come here acting like you know everything there is to know about dreadlocks. Yeah all hair will dread. BUT! there are as many ways to start and maintain dreads as there are hair types. One thing is consistant however.. Patience patience patience. Soaring eagle.. dont give people mis-information.. these websites exist for a reason. they are selling products. if they didnt work they wouldent be around. you kwazy

5. soaringeagle

judgedreads how long have you had your locks?
    if ya used wax come back in 3 years and tell us if they survived that long

the misinformation being spread is what drove you to purchase dangerouse productas and even think of going to a salon

we've had hundreds of waxy candle heads show up..not 1 had theyre dreads past 3-5 years ..not 1 was happy with the sticky mess

if you are more power to ya were just trying to keep ppl from making the same dumb mistake you made

6. Villi

Villi Member

Everyone dreads differently.
    Some people prefer not to use products, some people do.
    I find that people who are unhappy with the "sticky mess" have used way, far and beyond what they should have out of the wax. I started mine with wax and it gave them that hold, and I've only used it twice since and I'm happy with my locks. except as i've said before, the lumps from not rolling the back set of locks and also wishing I had started them bigger.

If i were to start over, I'd start the same. It's just preference really.
    My motto about products: A dab will more than do you.

7. knattyk420

knattyk420 Member

I agree with villi everyone has differnt ways and tgey will stake their grandmas life on it! lol Anyway I quit using wax and only use the tinest amount of tighnting gell when I palmroll them when they're wet. Just me though.

8. Villi

Villi Member

Soaring how are you so sure that the people cut their dreads off from 3-5 years because they used wax?
    If they're using it right, they should only be using it once every 3-6 months. You really shouldn't have to use it past the first year. All the loose hairs should be where they should be by then.
    If you choose to use it, you don't even have to use it after the first time after back combing.

9. knattyk420

knattyk420 Member

dopeamin I most certainly dont work for these companies if I did I wouldnt be so poor:) and I'd live in canada. I just found that the tighnting gel did wrk I dont suggest anyone else use it aloe vera does the same thing and is cheaper but I have a huge amount of the other stuff and I will use it till its gone maybe go back and forth with aloe but the stuff I use has aloe in it soo...i'm good with my decsion and my little dreadlings are coming along fine.

10. soaringeagle

villi i defy you to find any1 whos had dreads 10+ years whos ever used wax
    over and over and over we hear stories of how after 2-3 years they were disgusted with the way theyre hair felt dirty andr sticky all the time..and they cut
    3/4 of the ppl here are on theyre second set because they used wax in the 1st set

like i said in the other thread..read..go back deep into thids forum read hundreds of threads

it dont mattrer how u use wax the fact ois..its wax and wax doesnt copme out by washing it attracts dirt
    wernt u thge 1 so freaked out aboiut 1 lil bug dying in your hair? well ya use wadx and you'kll have far worse stick in there

even veryt hot watrer and agressive scrubbing cant get it all out
    using it at all..just once..is a mistake

your dreads might survive and only be a lil sticky dirty and stinky but why would ya use it when as u know clean hair dreads better?

11. Villi

Villi Member

uhm I wasn't freaked out? it was a simple question, just something to think about. you take everything the wrong way!

first you say a few months, then a year, then 2-3 years, then 2-5 years. And now it's 10 years that is quite a long time to have one hairstyle/lifestyle, people change, its not always the case they wanna cut off because of wax but so much as it is they want a new experience.

Why don't you just accept this. instead of saying "OMGZ WAX IS TEH BADZ" why not say 'OMG WAX IS TEH BADZ IF U UZE IT WRONGGGG' ?

12. Villi

Villi Member

Oh and you don't seem to scared about dirt. You said your dreads drag in the dirt all the time, you even said you've lost up to 2 feet on some dreads from them dragging... so don't even go there about dirt.

I'm sick of your only argument being about wax.

13. soaringeagle

20 pounds of mud washes right out as long as theres no wax to trap it
    i live in a dirty city filthy ..everything gets caked in grimne blkack sticky nasty grime , i wouldnt want any of that stuck in wax..ever
    i spend months in the mountasins washing in muddy rivers yet soon as i get to wassh with clean water and soap i know my dreads are clean cause thgeres no gunk in them to trap the dirt

i wouldnt have been able to keep me dreads as long as i have if i ever used wax...

you've hadyours a few months..theyre not even really dreads yet..come back in a few years and tell us then how wonderful wax is (ofcourse you'll be on your second set then cause these wont last)

14. soaringeagle

wax is bad wether used worong or right because its fucking wax wax does not belong in hair wax is residue duhh u need non residue shsampoo to dread right? so why load your hair up with residue think a momment
    geez your thick
    dreads arent a hairstyle to have a few months theyre a lifetime commitment
    if your committed for life to a hairstyle or lifestylke you do what u gotta do to take care of em and make em last a lifetime ..keep em clean but ofcourse if u just care how u look today and not wether ot not they survive a few years then by all means gunk threm up with wax...

im done arguing with you its your hairt ruin it anyt way you choose just stop trying to ruin other ppls too
    use wax all you want just dont preacher about it being good because i will deffend ppls rights to have clean dreads that last

you have the right to have dorty stivnky oners that get cut in a few years if thats what you want but dont you dare go oin trrying to get others to make the same dumb mistakes you insist on making

you and dopeadmin problyt should be a couplke your both stuburnly ignorant ..

15. FreedomFighter1555

FreedomFighter1555 Member

The cleanest way to have nice dreads is to back comb that shit and clean them like there a sponge after there dreaded

16. Villi

Villi Member

Soaring i don't know what you're talking about. I don't have any wax stuck in my dreads, it all washed out after a few showers.

And that's just fucking disgusting, having all that shit in your hair. No matter how dirty your city is. I realize yours are long but damn put them up or something.

17. phen

phen Member

i think there should be a sticky under this one that says "^READ THIS BEFORE POSTING^" though who am i kidding, these things never work good enough, people still come and talk about their waxed dreads like nothing's wrong and so on :)

18. soaringeagle

ya missed the point 1st off wax dont come out after a couple showes without alotta work and it traps dirt

theres never been any wax in miner to trap anything so 25 pounds of mud washes right out

on fact it washes out much easier hen the thick sticlky black grime from the city..

dreads sometimes trap leaves and twigs and whaytever if your not careful why would u put anything in it thats just designed to trap stuff?

hair is all u need to trap hair and haior traps hair with enough room for dirt to pass through.. add wax and your just givvin dort somrethin to stick to..

mud never hurt anyone anyways...

19. knattyk420

knattyk420 Member

cant you guys agree to disagree?

20. Villi

Villi Member

You said you wash your hair once a week. So you leave mud and grime in your hair for a week at a time?
    Sorry, but that just screams "unhealthy" and "bacteria" to me.