Downloading

Discussion in 'Music' started by StellaBlue, May 12, 2004.

1. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

Downloading music, more so live shows (many bands, as you know are hip on bootlegging, so depending on what show you get, this isn't illegal), takes up much of my internet time. I'm surprised to learn that most folks aren't aware of Bit Torrent. Bit Torrent is a file sharing program used for downloading just about anything, from movies, music, TV shows, videos, books, games, programs, etc. I personally use it for mostly music. What happens is you go to a Site that offers torrents, then you find what you want, download the starter file, then open it up into your favorite bit torrent client. It's extremely simple. The client along with the file connects you to the tracker, then to the other seeds (people with the full file) and peers (people who are downloading as well) and the file starts downloading and sharing.

A few 'need to knows' about Bit Torrent.
    • You will firstly need a good bit torrent client: here's my favorite: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
    • All bit torrent files will resume, so no worries about having to sign off in the middle of a download. Also, you can download as many files as your bandwidth and processor will allow you to download comfortably.
    • There are quite a few sites out there that offer listings of bit torrents, here's a short list. www.suprnova.org www.sharingthegroove.org (sharingthegroove is a favorite of music fanatics, they offer endless awesome shows, new and old) www.phoenix-torrents.com and www.filesoup.com
    • When downloading music from some websites, they only deal in FLAC, shn, and other lossless file formats, so the size of the shows can be very large. If you have small hard-drive space please do burn these shows after downloading them, or convert them to mp3 for storing on your machine (Please do not share shows in mp3 format on a broad basis, it's very lossy and pollutes the show trading community). A great tool for converting to different formats is MKW, it can be found at: http://www.etree.org/mkw.html
    • FLAC, shn and other formats require special tools. The FLAC tool can be found at http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html and the shnamp (for winamp) can be found at: http://www.etree.org/shnamp.html
    • The most important rule about Bit Torrenting: SEED after your download finishes! The bit torrent community cannot survive if people leech music! It's important that you atleast seed the same amount that you downloaded on each file. Don't worry, you can set your upload rate to a lower number so you'll still be able to surf comfortably while seeding.
    Happy Bit Torrenting! :)

2. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Bit torrent has low download speeds... around 10k/s... if your on 56k not bad... but dc++ is primo for some high speed downloads off hubs...
    dcplusplus.sourceforge.net

who cares if its illegal :)

3. lizm

lizm Member

Some BTs go really fast for me, some slow. I understand the more people that are on, the faster it is.

Other good sources of live taper-friendly music to DL:

www.archive.org

www.etree.org

:) Liz

4. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I learnt that Bit Torrent was the future some time ago...

The bulk of my 200 or so Zeppelin shows have been aquired via the Bit Torrent client and some kind seeders.. :D

5. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have finally aquired something worth seeing, but neither Media Player nor Quicktime will play it. There's an info file attached, and there may be a clue in here. I've downloaded and installed various codecs but this is something I know nothing about, and I can't seem to sort through masses of info to narrow it down to ... how do you know what you need to run a given .mpg file? Here's the helpful info:

Bill Hicks: The Censoring Of Bill Hicks SVCD
    Trio TV Special
    Ripped By Daemonicus
    This was a two hour special that aired on the Trio TV station several months back. The special documents the start of his career up to his death. It includes clips from many of his shows (both Proshot and Bootleg).
    Video:
    Source - Digital Satellite
    Capture Device - BT878 Card
    Bitrate 2520 CBR
    Video - NTSC 480x480 fully SVCD compliant, encoded with TMPGEncPlus
    Commercials edited out.
    Audio:
    MPEG-1 Audio Layer 2 44100Hz 224kbps
    Disc 1 - 767 MB
    Disc 2 - 562 MB
    I have had many requests for this... so here it is.
    SFV file included for those that want to double check the crc values of the files.

I've done searches for things like "TMPGEncPlus" but find few clues that way. If anyone has any suggestions... I'd hate to delete this file that I've spent all week getting, and I don't want to share a file that, by all indications so far, could be corrupt.

6. SunLion

Oh, and the error is "unknown error."

7. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I had that problem when I downloaded a Queen show in SVCD format... In the end I gave in and just burnt it to an SVCD disc and played it on my DVD player... lol

8. HippieDude1967

HippieDude1967 Member

I have three downloads going at under 5 kbs. The highest I've ever downloaded was at 120 kbs. Why is this? One file, I'm downloading from 7 people and only at 5kbs.

9. HippieDude1967

HippieDude1967 Member

Should I disable my firewall while downloading?

10. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

back when i used to download music the firewall actually protected me against shit that was trying to access my computer. i think its best if u leave it on it has no effect on downloading i think

11. HippieDude1967

HippieDude1967 Member

Well its a Saturday afternoon so there should be plenty of people on, but I havn't even broke 10kbs.

12. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

use diet kazaa that what i use and unless u are downloading files that only one person has it usually works really good

13. Style

Style Member

if the file is a .bin , you'll want to acquire a program called Daemon Tools.

it is a virtual drive emulator. then you can mount the .bin file, on your virtual drive, and windows media, or any other player can play it as a dvd on your comp.

14. Jim

Jim Senior Member

I think SVCD files are usually MPEG-2 format (or something like that) ... so, you need some sort of codec to decode that, to watch it on Windows Media Player..

Don't quote me on this... but it's what I found when I had this problem.. luckily I have a DVD player and CD burner though... So, it's not a problem for me anymore..

15. SunLion

Sorry, the filetype is .mpg and from what I've read so far, the "unknown error" for that filetype isn't easy to resolve, and can have any of many causes. I have a feeling that I'll find a clear, concise, and certain answer as soon as I delete the file, but I'll probably hang onto it for at least a few days. When I posted earlier I was too tired to think straight! If I do resolve it I will post it here. Until I'm convinced that the file is legit, I'm not going to share it, though!

16. Skelter

Skelter Helter

get 'soulseek' (www.slsknet.org). It's easy, fast and you can find anything want (even very rare albums/songs/bootlegs) . it's the best file sharing-program out there!

17. Style

Style Member

soulseek used to be really good. but recently it seems that people only share in private groups, than share publicly.

I don't use p2p clients too much anymore, but my favorite one is

http://www.warez.com

they have the best p2p client imo.