douchebag atheists

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by autophobe2e, May 5, 2013.

1. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I'd have to agree. But science is hardly science. I see all these atheists replace the false comfort of god, for that of science.

While that's definitely a step forward, I got news for you...

2. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Get a grip man, look at the device you are using to post this nonsense.

It certainly wasn't divine intervention gave us computers, the internet, jet aircraft, satellite communications, manned space travel etc

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

That is the difference between science and dogma.
    Beliefs based on science will change according to the present understanding of the known facts. Dogma never changes.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

And weapons of mass destruction, etc., etc. Just because science can do lots of wonderful things doesn't mean it can do everything. Some problems science won't touch with a ten foot pole because they don't lend themselves to the kinds of rigorous tests scientists work with. For those problems, people can either suspend judgment forever or take a stab on the basis of the best evidence and hunches available. Most history is an example. By the way, it "certainly" isn't clear that it "certainly" wasn't divine intervention that gave us all of those wonderful inventions. Science hasn't yet conclusively established how human intelligence came about. Nothing is certain--not even that.

5. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

I see, in the reason of appropriating an Idealism, by definition.

Come on, Realistically God can intercede and make realization happen for the believers behind the back of the stubborn infidel, huh?

During the original crusades, I believe, it was the muslims who were the infidels.:)

6. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I'm an atheist, bubba. And a lover of science.

Watch your knee-jerk reactions lest you become as unsophisticated and incapable of nuance and irony as a southern baptist.

7. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

The irony, I was trying to portray, was in the blasphemy about Science herself. For awhile there I was really believing that dogmatic scientific theories could exist for the honour of a civilization. But maybe it is just to impress the thesis moderators that my idealist point of view was conclusively covering the subject for the existence of holy lands for the conscience of even the great Mr. Richard Dawkins. :)

See, Richard Dawkins is some kind of Russian talent for humanistic atheism:tongue:

8. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Then what was your point of saying "Science is hardly science"?

9. DrummingJoey

DrummingJoey Member

I'm not going to read the 110 posts written before this, but I just want to say that I am an atheist, and I know many atheists, and the vast majority of us keep to ourselves. Douchebag Atheists are just a very vocal group, and so they give us a bad name just like Christian missionaries and Muslim jihadists.

Saying that "Atheists are douchebags" is kind of like saying "black people are loud" or "Muslims are violent." It's a stereotype made to reinforce the opposing point of view. In the same way, atheists complain about "Douchebag Christians" who go around telling people that they are going to Hell, and, in the same way, that population is severely over-represented in our culture because moderates just don't seem to care.

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

You seem to be settling the question by dogma. It's undeniably true that every human is born without religion, because every human is born without any conceptual apparatus at all. When babies develop conscious awareness of any concepts, they seem to take to belief in God quite readily. This tendency has been documented by psychologists who study cognitive development. It 's a function of a human tendency to perceive patterns and agency in the environment. The particular content of their belief is likely to develop on the basis of indoctrination, but so does identity as an atheist. So why is it significant that babies have no religion at a point in development when they have no political awareness, or even the ability to distinguish other people.

You're free to define the terms that way, but how is it useful to do so? To say that every "creature" is born atheist and agnostic implies that we have atheist cats, dogs and chickens. Doesn't that seem a bit ludicrous? What's the point?

11. Anaximenes

Anaximenes Senior Member

Hinduism might say a child was born into his religion. I think there the agreement is universal for the Unconscious World at the Heart of the synchronous documentation about the child-birth. How are we born into our state of membership in the national life? We also rise to our status in society.

12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

As a Hip Forum member for many years, I have vivid memories of "douchebag atheists"--those who once made up a majority of posts on the "Christian site" with such messages as "CHRISTIANS SUCK!!!". Let me also say that those atheists have virtually disappeared in these forums, and that even back in the day, you seldom saw them on the atheist forum. In fact I can't recall a single one in the past three years! Whatever happened to the douchebags? Has there been some kind of harmonic convergence?
    Or am I just getting so used to it that I don't spot it anymore?
    I think the tone of the discussion on this forum has been, by and large, high quality, and I learn a lot from it.

13. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

Even though I do not consider them douchebags, they have moved to atheist forums from what I can discern. I am a member of one such forum, and it is common and accepted to be negative towards the theists who post there.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Interesting they'd go to other sites when this one is available. I have no problem with atheists being negative towards theists. They're doing their job, and I learn more from atheists who do that than from those who pull their punches. I don't think there's anything "douchebag" about candor. It's the tone that matters. I disagree with the Four Horseman, but I buy their books. Negativity is one thing, hate speech another. When criticism of theists is backed up by reasoned arguments and facts, it's helpful. Name calling and obscenity is something else.

15. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

Despite the welcomes in the introduction section, the regs of this particular forum are not precisely open to new people cutting in on their already established niche. That is why new members never stay long and that is why they eventually find other forums to frequent. Besides that, however, the religious boards here are rather dead.

This is honestly the only forum where I have ever experienced foul company.

16. Cherea

Cherea Senior Member

I've seen my share of atheists who are just as dogmatic, intolerant, as the Christers they claim to debunk. Likewise with liberals of the Dem party persuasion.

17. theaspiemonkey

theaspiemonkey Banned

Is there a god? I have no idea. I would be pretty mental to try and argue something you just can't prove I think. :)