DoubleTree hotel fires two employees who called police on black guest

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Driftwood Gypsy, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Portland hotel calls cops on black guest in lobby

I work at a hotel in a seedy part of downtown. Needless to say, we frequently have to kick out vagrants, trespassers, prostitutes, drug dealers, loiterers, beggars, snipers (slang for people who dig through ashtrays and gutters for cigarette butts), dumpster divers, etc. We don't have security. It's just lil old 130lbs me and a bottle of pepperspray.
    When the two black guys got kicked out of Starbucks, I totally recognized that this could happen at my hotel.
    So from then on, I discussed this with my coworkers and made a conscious effort to be aware of implicit bias and racism, and give everyone the benefit of a doubt, and recognize bias in myself.
    Within a week I got spit in the face by a black guy that I knew in my gut was NOT a guest and normally would NOT have let into the lobby, but in light of recent events I gave him the benefit of a doubt and buzzed him in.... and when he couldn't give me an existing room number, and none of the names he gave me (many) matched our systems), he spit in my face.
    Lovely.
    So when this Doubletree thing came up, and I've been trying to be more compassionate in general,
    the only safe thing I imagine I can do in my position is
    never kick out anyone who is black or other POC.
    Never question whether or not they belong there or have a reservation.
    Sounds silly but what else can you do? Really?

2. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Goya love racial tension man

3. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Yeah you pretty much have to let them do whatever they want. Just do your best to protect yourself.

4. Driftwood Gypsy

And this is racial equality. Huh. I'm against discrimation and racism and bigotry but this is quite a pickle.

5. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

Can't give you a room number
    Can't give you a name
    He oviously don't belong there
    Call the cops.
    It's not racist, if he's not a guest and you can prove it.

wilsjane and scratcho like this.
  6. Driftwood Gypsy

The guy at Doubletree apparently refused to give room number too.
    And last time I had to call police it took 45 minutes and +5 911 calls. And generally I don't like calling police, but at work I kinda have to.

7. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Not in this country. If you don't let the blacks do whatever they want, we are racist.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Don't look at as a racial thing but a people thing. You don't think a white man would cause trouble and spit?

I admit some black people use the race card to be nasty people. But some of that comes from a society where they assume there will have issues. They decide to make it worse but when I see an angry person in general I try to think of their background. You can answer with hate or love and often love is more upsetting then your best hate. That person wants conflict.

You are correct you just have to let any type of man hang around until proven otherwise. You don't want a Iphone viral video ruing your job. And I'd hope you want to treat people with respect. Since you initiated this racial training on staff I think you do.

You said you were black I think to seem credible in another thread yet you speak with a lot tension on them. So are you really white? White people say "the blacks" not black people. They might like the classic Chris Rock niggers vs black people bit but they don't have the issues with their own race you do.

soulcompromise likes this.
  9. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

I have never said I was black. No idea where you got that idea. But it certainly doesn't shock me what you come up with.

The norm in this country has become, if blacks misbehave, whites better not take issue with it. Or we are racist. If the blacks don't police the black troublemakers, it's free reign for the troublemakers. Only the blacks can be the policeman for their race or there is going to be trouble. And if they don't police them, then fuck America.

Fortunately not all blacks have this attitude above. But CNN doesn't want to hear from them. They can't flame any racial flames if whites get along with blacks or Dems and Repubs can solve a problem together. There is no story there for them.

My g/f, and all of her family are all good examples of good solid family values. They don't break laws, make excuses for thier results or play the race card to get through life. Nor do any of my black neighbors. None of their kids have their pants hanging down. They don't have any black identity crisis. The kids are respectful and hard working. I don't ask them to call me sir, they call everyone sir or ma'am because that is how they are raised. No matter what the race they are talking to.

And we don't have anyone of any race trying to find a reason to spit at each other. Because they would be arrested in about 6 minutes if they did. Then the parents would get ahold of them afterwords if they were any kids around here. And ass whippings are a part of their upbringing just like mine was. It seems to work for all races pretty well in my community.

Having similar values has nothing to with what race we are. It has something to do with the character we are brought up in. I get that you don't see that.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Dear the whites,
    Please for the love of god stop referring to black people as "the blacks."
    Thanks,
    the white person

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

smh ffs

It's not difficult for me to imagine where this individual might be coming from.

12. NotMyRealName

NotMyRealName Members

Dear Black Folks,

For the love of Kwanzaa, please pick one choice you wish to be called, stick with it, so that we can all use it.

Negroes....errrr....Blacks.....errr Black Americans....Err African Americans....errr......

And please don't confuse the world by telling us what to use and then using something else when discussing your own race.

Thank you,
    White folks.

Oh and P.S.
    Stop calling Latinos, brown skins.

13. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

If 30 Rock taught me anything, it is that the correct term is Blackmericans.

Meliai and unfocusedanakin like this.
  14. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You know looking back it was not you. It was another forum poster with similar pro gun posts. My bad but thanks for the racist reply.

When you acomplish something for yourself I hope you see race for what it is.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Who the hell calls latinos brown skins lol

eggsprog likes this.
  16. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Meliai likes this.
  17. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Some right winger said it ,because I remember it being said and it was surprising that a black person would be as right wing as his posts had shown. I don't remember exactly who it was.

18. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I think it was Maccabbee.

20. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It would be interesting to know the full story of what REALLY happened at the Double Tree hotel.

I strongly suspect that the 2 staff members were a complete pain in the butt and fired for their work (or lack of it).
    I then suspect that THEY started the media story after feeling disgruntled at loosing their jobs.

If their is any truth at all in the story, it is more likely that the staff members were racist and mistreating decent guests on the grounds of the color of their skin.