double mastectomy

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by shygurl170, Aug 5, 2018.

1. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Hang in there Shy. You know lots of folks are pulling and praying for your recovery. You can do it!

2. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

I didn't realize it has been so long since I updated. Finally got the green light to start chemo. Started on Nov. 14; the same day my port was installed--I am that much of a bad ass to do them both on the same day. Kidding. I had less than 24 hours notice of starting chemo--which was a good thing. I didn't have time to freak myself out.

I finished with 4 rounds of what is coined-The Red Devil. It started off ok, I did begin losing my hair during the first 2 weeks after I started. Shaved it off the day I got the 2nd infusion. It has been rough. I am weak, tired and other side effects. I start tomorrow on a new chemo drug (as part of my treatment). I will get this one weekly for 12 weeks.

I will need radiation. I will meet with plastic surgeon in the spring to discuss reconstruction. Moving forward on radiated skin will require additional surgeries. Right now, I say to NO that...but in a year---I know I will feel differently. I am in no rush to get it done and will want to be healthy.

I am hanging in there. My older son has been home from college and it has been amazing. I am going to try and work ---chemo just sucks the life right of you. It can be a lot worse, so I am grateful for that!!!!

Thank you again for your support. :)

May you have a wonderful 2019!!! :)

Shy

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's very good to hear from you!

It sounds like you are doing well, and things are going well, despite the crappiness of treatments. That's a double-edged sword, I guess.

I like your attitude and I agree that you need time to have all of this behind you before you think about undergoing reconstruction. I don't blame you one bit!

I hope you continue to do well and Happy New Year to you!

4. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Shy - thanks for the update. I was wondering how you're coming along and glad to hear you still have a very good attitude. I'll keep up the prayers.