double mastectomy

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by shygurl170, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not all guys are shallow, Neo.

2. old tiger

old tiger Senior Member

@shygurl==me too i recall you from the chatroom years ago==you were always so jolly positive in your attitudes..and that will show now again after your surgery..it's about willpower,determination...a will to continue whatever what happens..for lots of women breasts are important about their womanhood,what's important for you is the will and the courage you have to show up to yourself and to all of us...and i know you will...keep us updated about your situation...I personally will burn a candle for you on 20th August,
    you're a strong woman,shy...i admire the words of morrow(babs)here as well==another strong lady who deserves lots of respect from everyone....take care,shygurl...greetings...tiger:hearteyes:

shygurl170 and morrow like this.
  3. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Any man that doesn't love you for YOU, regardless of the situation, is not worth your time. I wish you a speedy recovery and many great days ahead! Joel

morrow likes this.
  4. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Shy - I had no idea. I'm sorry about the diagnosis. I know you are strong and you'll be fine in the long run. The boobs are external trappings - you'll be no less of a woman. You'll still be the tremendous person you always have been. Take the kiddo to college - drop him off - drive away and cry your eyes out as you leave him. That's what mom is supposed to do. You are who you are and that is so much more than a pair of boobs.

scratcho, shygurl170 and morrow like this.
  5. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

Thank you all my Hip friends!!!!!
    Hugs!!!!

I am 3 weeks post op and healing.

It was hard saying goodbye to my son. He held me tight; kissed my cheek. We were both crying (all 3 of us—-my 11 yo was there l, too).

My best friend from NY state flew in and another friend came and were at the hospital. It was a long surgery but they were updated.

Pain was manageable. Not gonna lie, I liked that pump! I had an anxiety attack and kept thinking I would die if I feel asleep. I asked for oxygen. I barely slept that night.

They sent me home the next day. My incredible friends arranged 24 hour care and meals.

My 11 yo stayed with friends the first few nights. I was adjusting to being home and pretty doped up on pain meds.

I meet weekly with plastic surgeon. I developed some wounds, which put a halt to starting chemo. This is a good thing—-we ordered another test to get more information. It isn’t a 100% you need chemo—so the delay is allowIng oncologist to get more data. This also allows me to go to family weekend to visit my son! (Next weekend). I might not have been able to handle the 5 hour car ride.

I know for sure I will have radiation—-timing isn’t known.

I am doing ok. I am able to look at myself in the mirror, look at how my clothes fit. I cried the first few days—-but that is to be expected.

I am resting and doing a few things with friends. They are protective! I haven’t had to cook, clean, shop. I have mobility issues with right arm—-33 lump nodes were removed (ONLY ONE HAD CANCER) so it is expected to have pain/range of motion limited.

I meet later this month with my gynecologist to discuss ovary removal. I have an increased chance of ovarian cancer, so I want this done ASAP.

My boys are doing ok. My older son is doing awesome at school. We FaceTime several time a week. He *thinks* he would have handled seeing me after surgery; but he would not have—-he would struggle at school worrying about me. My younger son is doing adjusting. He has a lot of changes.

Thank you again for you kind words.

6. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

shit. for all my health problems, one I haven't had to deal with is Lady C, and she's an outright bitch. respect and support!

7. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hang in there shygurl, and thank you for the update. We all wish you well and a speedy recovery both physically and mentally. You have a family here at HF, Godbless:)

8. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I just saw this today.

I think you're a hell of a strong woman with a good outlook and great friends!

Continue to update us on your recovery/progress!

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I vaguely know what you go through because my mom had breast cancer twice. She’s alive and kicking btw :)
    Although she's old when it happened and can't lose my dad even if she'd try :D and she didn't mask her scars or got new breasts i took notice of some options. Some women get flowery tattoos over there scars which, i say from a typical man's perspective, didn't look unattractive at all. In fact it looked quite beautiful! And im not even into tattoos!

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.pin...s-for-mastectomy-breast-reconstruction-scars/

morrow and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  10. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Thanks for the update shy. Prayers and best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. Go visit the kiddo!

11. morrow

morrow Visitor

12. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

I have thought about tattooing the area. The plan is for reconstruction. I have not even discussed the final look with my dr. I know 3D and tattoo nipples are options—-mine were not able to be spared. This is a year away (I am guessing) and not something so thought much about.

It shouldn’t hurt to tattoo the reconstructed breasts, I have no feeling in them and in time I will get use to it (as per my dr).

I am at a standstill as I developed some wounds during healing. I go to the wound care center next week. I just want the area to heal. I can’t have chemo, radiation or expanding (fill the tissuebexpander with some saline to stretch my muscle/skin to prepare for implants).

13. morrow

morrow Visitor

you cant have treatment? or you dont need it? get your head around that one girl... sounds good to me x

14. Aerianne

I know the wounds must be worrisome for you. Try to relax and trust the wound healing process. I think our bodies might do better when we can stress less.

Hang in there!

15. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

Update

I had to have surgery this past weekend. I developed a fever on Thursday and still on Friday. Saw my plastic surgeon and before he examined me he told me I was going to ER.

I had no gross signs of infection, however as presented with enough symptoms that he needed to do exploratory surgery.

We are no longer going to discuss reconstruction of my breasts—meaning we are both in agreement it is secondary.

He was able to close the wounds. I have wound vacs on each ‘breast’. An amazing device really!

I also have drain tubes and will have for awhile. He made it clear that he is going to drag his feet on removing them. As long as I can take a shower, I will deal with them.

He is running a culture on what he found in the right side. I had no signs of infection with all my blood work.

The pain is worse than the double mastectomy. I am managing it.

I am tired and drained. This second surgery has knocked me on my ass.

I find out tomorrow about chemo. I just want to moved forward.

Sorry this wasn’t upbeat. I am not defeated, just a setback

16. morrow

morrow Visitor

What a set back for you! Any indication what the infection is?
    Stay strong, and do as your told..
    I was told not to shower, but to sit in a tub.. treat yourself.. go the hairdresser for your hair wash..
    Stay strong, you will be fine.. your an inner strong lady. <x

17. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

A friend of mine had a double mastectomy, and refused reconstructive surgery. For her, every scar was a badge of her courage and strength, and she wore them proudly as a survivor. Her long-term boyfriend dumped her when she was in the hospital recovering. For her, that was an awakening. It is then that she realized that if he couldn't support her through the difficult times, he wasn't worth keeping around for the good ones.

Tattooing is an option, and some artists will give you a discount, in support of breast cancer survivors. It is a very personal choice, and no doubt you will choose what is best for you. Stay strong, and take each day as it comes. You are surrounded by people who love and support you. It says a lot about you to be blessed with so many wonderful people standing with you on this journey. May each day get a little easier for you. Be kind to yourself, and never forget that you will always be a beautiful and amazing woman, mother, and friend to those who love you.

18. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

Breast cancer is far more than pink ribbons. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed in their lifetime.

Another setback....had another infection so tissue expander removed. We will revisit reconstruction after chemo and when my body is healed.

I am not looking forward to chemo—-I just want it to start!

My children are ok. My older son is struggling with not being here. I want him living his life! I wish I could take the pain from him. I reassure him that I am ok. I let him know that we have a lot of support and are taken care of.

I did return to work. I am going to try my best to work during chemo. I need it for my mental health.

I am looking forward to the holidays and having my boys here—-enjoying every moment.

19. There will be time for reconstruction.
    You seem very mentally strong, and I truly hope all goes well.

And yesssss, holidays are nearing!!! Visualize that and your boys when things get rough.

Asmodean likes this.
  20. Aerianne

What a strong woman you are!!!

Keep us posted on your recovery, please!

Asmodean likes this.