double mastectomy

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by shygurl170, Aug 5, 2018.

1. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 7/15.
    Found out I have the BRCA2 mutation on 8/1.
    Meet with plastic surgeon on 8/8 to discuss reconstruction.
    Surgery is 8/16

I am 48 (49 in January) and single. I am probably doing implants and NOT keeping my nipples.

I know that I will have little to no sensation after everything is completed. I will find out my options—3D or tattoo nipples. This makes me feel like I am losing my womanhood—-That men will be turned off by my scars. (Dating is NOT an option right now—-so thinking down the road).

Recovery is going to a be long process—-but I will have my life!

Anyone go through this?
    I am in good spirits. I have two kids that need their mama!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    scratcho, old tiger, Eric! and 8 others like this.
  2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I admire your stregnth and upbeat attitude. Kick it in the ass, girl!

I know the "loosing your womanhood" aspect is common. You're not alone in feeling that way. And yes, guys can be shallow, but any man worth keeping isn't going to be concerned with scars. By default you'll be weeding out the men from the boys.

I wish you nothing by a speedy recovery and the happiest of happy days from here on out!

3. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

one of my lady friends had a DM.....no nipples......since the time she told me what to expect when I got her shirt off I have never one time thought about it until I read your post....nearly 10 years since that night.....it just is not ''a thing'' when I think about her and made no difference in bed...….

good luck ….

4. morrow

morrow Visitor

Ten years ago this very week I was having radio after a single partial mastectomy.. my choice!
    I had a hysterectomy 20 years before.. and im still here..
    Im no less a woman now, than before.. it's in your head, don't let it settle there..
    I had a great friend once told me the day I had my hysterectomy.. today, is the first day, of the rest of your life.. im still living, and still making plans for the future..
    Im still here, you will be too.. you kick that thing in to touch..
    Life without boobs, is still a life!
    Go for it girl.. live, love, and be happy!

5. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

Love ya wifey!

morrow likes this.
  6. morrow

morrow Visitor

Hey hubs, how you doing? Your missed! <3

7. TAZER-69

Just got home on Wednesday trying to get caught up from our trip up north. How are you?

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

Im really good, glad your still traveling.. been doing some myself.. hasn't finished yet..

9. TAZER-69

Glad to hear that. I think of you often. So glad you are having a good time. Anybody special in your life right now? We are home to help our daughter as she has surgery then we will be on the road again.

10. morrow

morrow Visitor

No one special.. but im happy, and life is great that way..

Hope your daughter is ok..

11. TAZER-69

She is fine just tying up her bladder. She has three kids and will need help for a few weeks.
    I’m so glad you are happy. You deserve it! Makes me smile

12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I admire your attitude and courage, @shygurl170 . <3

13. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

You don't know me but I have a place in my heart for survivors. I think that's so powerful. I won't pretend to know how to advise you--I don't know. But I think you'll find happiness after your procedures are all over with.

Good luck! :) (& I'm a guy... don't be fooled by the woman in my avatar!)

14. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hey, shygurl...longtime no see...but I have thought about you a few times....and wondered where you went to....

I am sorry you had to go through or have to go through all of this.....but they will never take your heart...right? that is what matters.....in the long run....everything else is superficial....anyone who loves you will no matter what.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm so sorry shy. :(
    Lots of positive vibes in this thread though, we feel you, we've probably all been through this and if not ourselves, we've felt through somebody close to us.

Feeling you heaps.

16. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I want to toss in my vibes and great respect for you, too @shygurl170. To go ahead and take care of this before that tricky gene becomes a problem shows what an immensely strong and proactive woman you are...and of course I agree with everyone that has said - there WILL be men as this won't make a jot of difference to the kind of man you (or any woman) needs.

I so admire strong women that use themselves to help boost others, and that is what I see you doing.

17. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Hi mate !
    missed our chats ! you are a strong person and will I know come through this the same with the same Heart
    XXX

18. shygurl170

shygurl170 Members

Thank you everyone (((hugs)))
    It has been an exhausting month and upsand downs.

Surgery date got changed which is actually better--I can take my older son to college! He will be a freshman. I will have surgery on the 20th.

Meeting with plastic surgeon was reassuring. He told me I would have a new normal. I am getting my mind wrapped around that. I want to live my life so boobs or not---I will survive. :)

I will be off of work for 6 weeks, so I can pop into chat. :)

Thank you for the kind words. xoxo

scratcho, Lynnbrown, Eric! and 3 others like this.
  19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm glad you get to take your son to college. Those family milestones are so important!

We will be here for you during your recovery. Stay strong!

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  20. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I wish you a speedy recovery and a positive outlook for your future.

You've got tough Mama blood x2 coursing through your veins. It's incredibly strong and resilient.

Keep confidence in your medical team, but if you feel something's not right in your treatment plan, speak up immediately and if necessary get another opinion. Stay off the internet with anything to do with cancer. It just fuels anxiety and depression. It's a total energy robber and the last thing you need right now.

Noserider is correct about weeding out the boys from the men with relationships. I'm one of those men that doesn't see the scars or removed/missing parts. I look past it.

I read/see in you, Bravery, Will Power, and Confidence to survive. Those three qualities are men magnets which will whom find that more important and attractive when you are ready to date.

You will get through this chapter in your life and will be an even better person because of it.

Reconstruction is a work of art, you'll feel and look amazing when it's all done and completed! I wish you all the best of luck has to offer this coming Monday.

Take care Shygurl.