Doomsday Preppers, Doomsday Castle, etc....

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Sig, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sig

Sig Senior Member

With all these "doomsday" shows popping up, where various preppers and survivalists are profiled along with whatever prepping they have done or are in the process of doing, I can't help but ask myself "why?". Not why in the sense of "why the hell are you prepping?" or "why is this on TV?", but instead "why the hell are you talking about it?". If I was a prepper or someone of that inclination the last thing I would do is put my face on national TV and show what I am planning, what I have, what I don't have, etc.... The fewer people that know about what I am doing and what I have the better.

2. TAZER-69

TAZER-69 Listen To Your Heart! Lifetime Supporter

Not to smart to tell the world that I have a castle full of all the esentials and where they can find me.

3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I thought the same thing. Perhaps they are just looking for the attention from the media.

4. AiryFox

AiryFox Member

I think it is about two things in the end.

Money. I believe they do get paid for agreeing to be a part of the show.

Information. They want to spread their message to others via television. Perhaps they want others to be able to save themselves, too.

5. broony

broony Banned

To install fear into the people grabbing their attention to watch more tv.

6. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yes!! I know, right.

I think that every single time I watch Doomsday Preppers.
    Btw, how is Doomsday Castle?? I've seen the commercials for it but haven't watched it. Is it any good? (fairly entertaining)

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Yeah... defiantly the money....
    and you know, it's actually really refreshing to hear someone mention the second one-that there may be people who actually want to help other people and give them ideas/something to think about and all. :)

If you were talking about the television network...the creator's of the show, etc., I'd say "yes", but the average person...the actual people and families on the show?- I kinda doubt they are all that interested in getting people to watch more television.

8. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

It's a conspiracy by the government. They put on the show to get the the preppers to come out from underground. They also use spying technology to identify which households watch the show (much easier to to with cable tv, btw).

Then, when the lists are drawn up, Obama will swoop in and force them all to get free healthcare.

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

teeheehee.....

10. roamy

roamy Senior Member

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

11. MoneyWaters

MoneyWaters Guest

Crazy people like attention. Seems pretty simple to me.

12. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

I thought the same thing. I wouldn't want people to know that I had all kinds of food, supplies and guns if I believed that the world was going to end soon. But everyone wants their 15 min of fame.

The concept of the show is actually good but the doomsday preppers seems to be more about holding people up to ridicule than to educate. There was even a guy in the first season that had his firearms confiscated after he appeared. I don't know if his appearance is the only reason the state took an intrest in his armory.

13. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

I met some Tea Partiers, whom I really feel are more in line with tea baggers, that were telling me how watching movies like World War Z is really training people to give in to the New World Order. WWZ. NWO. OMG. Only in Hollywood!

14. Dalamar

Dalamar Member

Then again some of the folks on the show are people I want to be far away from if the end comes. So maybe that is the point of going on the show to Chase people away. Not with the threat of force. These folks are rigid and aren't open to other points of view.

The other thing I found odd was the preppers seemed married to one type of disaster. I would think a preppers would be ready for anything that could happen.

15. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

My advice to the first doomsday preppers featured on NATGEO, you should spend more time cleaning up the backyard and less on preparing for the end of the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gee6e7aXHEQ"]Doomsday Preppers Episode 1 YouTube - YouTube

Hotwater :eek:

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the only prep that makes sense is knowing how and what to hunt and gather. and that doesn't mean in the urban landscape when/if it stops being resupplied either. stashing isn't going to do any good when its the army of your own country that shows up to appropriate it. and don't think that won't happen. for just as long as there still is an army and a country and anyone still alive who wants to call themselves that.

then the gangs will kill each other off, fighting over the remaining munitions factories, that they aren't smart enough to actually run, nor aquire the supplies to actually do so.

by then there won't be any more store shelves with canned peaches on them to loot. just empty shelves and broken windows.

no, the best "prep" is to evolve the culture away from aggressiveness and toward consideration, mutual, universal, and non-hierarchal, and energy sources away from oil, coal, and even fission with its security and waste problems, away from centralized for profit energy production and toward solar electric on every roof, and a windmill in every back yard, and water turned generators back into every dam.

and trains and buses propelled by stored electric and kennetic energy with the option of onboard solar trickle charging, instead of cars, that make us all consumers of blood oil.

17. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

We're all going to die some day, whether we have 1,000,000 cans of beans in our basements or not.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think a better question is, why does anyone do any kind of reality show? I don't understand it.

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I don't either when it comes to most of them. There are some good ones out there though. I liked Deadliest Catch for a while, and I just recently saw one called Life Below Zero that was pretty good.

20. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I only saw one episode of a show on preppers. They analyzed how prepared they were which was interesting.

More interesting was that preppers did not seem to agree with them... :)