Dont you feel exposed? a question to poets

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by We_All_Shine_On, May 8, 2004.

1. gesone

gesone Member

When I was younger I used to be very closed with my work but now I share it with anyone who is interested in reading poetry. Besides, if you achieve intricate metaphors and don't get too descriptive it will be tough for people to pinpoint a personal emotion or event.

2. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

How come I never read this thread before?

I agree with Bathala...whatever I write has roots in personal experience, but as you don't know me or that experience, I don't feel exposed. I share because I want to...while readers may not understand the poem's emotional origins, I hope people do see something of their own experiences in my work. If not, hope you just enjoy it for its own sake.

Skinny

3. StarGateKeeper

StarGateKeeper Member

No I don't really feel exposed. Most of the ones that I am sharing have been written a long time ago or at least far enough in my emotional history that it doesn't matter to me personally. I just figured what the hell do all those words mean written in a notebook sitting in a drawer somewhere gathering dust...

My inspiration comes from tapping into some channel in the universe, sharing it is a way to give it back. For me perhaps it will complete some unseen cycle...

ok.. Mike is a psycho...

Most of the time I write when I am feeling or experiencing something raw and real... once it heals or cools, I can release it...

4. moonbeam

moonbeam Member

i love people reading mine. why not? i create them to be read.....

5. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I never used to let anyone read my poetry because it did make me feel exposed in a way. I've never written poetry with the intention of letting others read it; it has been more like my journal and my way of expressing my emotions in a safe and structured way. And for me, writing is something that I feel that I need to do. And the thought of others reading it felt like letting someone read my mind. But just recently I met someone who do trust enough to let them read my poetry. And letting them read some of poetry was freeing in a way. So, maybe now I will feel more comfortable about letting others read it.