Don't Text in Movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Shale, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Retired cop guns down man for texting at Florida movie

By M. Alex Johnson, Staff Writer, NBC News
    Mon Jan 13, 2014

A retired cop, irked that the couple in front of him were texting at a Mark Wahlberg war movie, opened fire in a Florida theater Monday, killing the man and wounding his wife, authorities said.

Curtis Reeves Jr., 71, was charged with second-degree homicide in the death of Chad Oulson, 43, Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said late Monday afternoon. The theater was evacuated and remained closed after the shooting, which occurred about 1:20 p.m. ET.

Oulson was shot in the chest after a verbal and physical confrontation with Reeves, and his wife, Nichole Oulson, was shot in the hand. Chad Oulson was pronounced dead at a hospital, and his wife was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

An off-duty sheriff's deputy from neighboring Sumter County was in the Grove 16 Theatre in Wesley Chapel, north of Tampa, and detained Reeves and secured the weapon, described as a .380-calber handgun, until Pasco authorities arrived, Nocco said.
    "This situation over a cellphone use — to escalate that high, I can tell you it's very scary," he said. "Or the fact it's a movie theater or, you know, a place such as a school, where people have a belief that they should be in a movie theater to relax or a school to learn and have it arise to this kind of level."

Nocco said the tragedy unfolded after Reeves became outraged over something trivial: "somebody texting."

Reeves and his wife were sitting behind the Oulsons as the preview trailers were rolling just before the showing of "Lone Survivor," ...

Reeves asked Chad Oulson several times to stop, to no avail, Nocco said. He then left the theater to complain to the theater's management before returning to his seat, the sheriff said.

Upon his return, "Chad Oulson then starts confronting him verbally, starts saying: 'Oh, did you go in there and start complaining on me? Did you tell the staff about me?'" Nocco said.

"This verbal altercation starts getting louder and louder. During this altercation, it goes from a verbal to a physical altercation," he said.

Then, "the suspect, Curtis Reeves, pulled out a gun," Nocco said.

Only one shot was fired, Nocco said. Nichole Oulson was wounded in the hand when she grabbed her husband as Reeves pulled the trigger, he said.

The theater's operator, Cobb Theatres, said in a statement that it was "truly heartbroken by this incident" and that it was cooperating with investigators. (And, just where were they when the original complaint was made?)

Reeves retired as a captain from the Tampa Police Department in 1993, said Laura McElroy, a spokeswoman for the department, adding that Reeves helped set up the department's first SWAT team.

[​IMG]

I made this meme some time ago using the Clint Eastwood of "Dirty Harry" fame as my alter ego grumpy old man. It was funny at the time. Who knew how prophetic it would be.

Actually, I feel more for the grumpy old man here than the rude, obnoxious and combative text addict who could not turn his little light device off for two lousy hours in a darkened movie theater. Some ppl just don't understand the peripheral distraction of such things (others can't understand why ppl get upset while they talk on the phone either)

I go to movies a lot and I have had to complain to ppl about their texting, which there is always a reminder on-screen to turn them off. I am serious when I say texting and cell phones have become an addiction. I may be among the last who do not feel they need to be connected 24/7.

BTW, where was management when the patron came to them with a legitimate complaint? When I visit Missouri and go to Wuhrenberg Theatres they make it clear that you will be removed from the theater if you use your cell phone. All theaters should do this.

Apparently some rude ppl cannot grasp that others want a quiet, darkened theater when they pay to watch a movie. And, just like the good feeling I get when a drunk driver kills himself in a one-car accident, I feel good that there is one less rude, obnoxious text addict ruining the movie experience for others.

Bottom line, it pays to follow the rules - they are often there for a reason. Also, be considerate of others and don't become combative when someone has a legitimate complaint about your behavior that is against the rules. This is Florida - you never know who is packing.

2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wonder if the movie had started while he was texting? Or was it before?

3. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Right. Let's murder all rude people.

4. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned

"The two men argued over Oulson’s use of a cell phone during movie previews."
    ‘Stand your ground’ decision raises prospect of new hearing in Pasco theater shooting

By way of a case update, Florida's "stand your ground" law allows people to avoid trial if they can convince the judge that they were in fear for their lives when they fired their gun. It originally placed the burden of proof on the shooter.

Mr. Reeves has tried and failed to make a "stand your ground" case under the original rules. However the Florida Legislature has now modified their "stand your ground" law to place the burden of proof entirely on the prosecution. It is likely that he will be given a brand new chance to present a "stand your ground" argument under the new standards.

If he fails to convince the judge under the new standards, then the case will finally go to trial.

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

That would be 99% of everyone now! :(

6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The movie was Lone Survivor so maybe the retired cop was having a flashback from the time he was in the military?

Dude111 likes this.
  7. Toggle Almendro

Toggle Almendro Banned