Don't panic but an energy drink epidemic has been declared.

Discussion in 'Protest' started by LenoraNunez, Nov 1, 2010.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Sounds like bad stuff I'll stick with methamphetamine!

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I love guarana cola :drool5:

3. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

Skip, those are some good breakdowns of the health dangers that are embedded in most energy drinks.

Obviously, like people mentioned before, a lot of this is about personal responsibility but that responsibility is easier if it is clear what you are getting yourself into. Energy drinks have no regulation as to the amounts of caffeine they can pack into a can, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

As far as my work at http://thinkdrink.org goes, we are campaigning for an end to marketing energy drinks to kids (even though it already says "not recommended for kids" on the packaging, that almost makes kids more likely to want to drink it for the coolness factor) and to stop selling it to minors.

The energy drink epidemic is real, just ask any 13 year old you know how many they drink.

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

If you believe in personal responsibility - why do you want the government to ban them, thereby taking away all personal responsibility AND personal freedom/rights??
    None of the teens I know drink them anywhere near as often as me, and I drink one every couple of days.

5. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

The main concept of personal responsibility is limited to individuals 18 and over. Regulations are in place for other dangerous substances, http://thinkdring.org stresses that those regulations should be extended to energy drinks and alcospeed in both marketing and sales.

6. Duck

Regulations are different from prohibition.

Which do you want? Make up your mind.

7. djomalley

djomalley Fanch King

I don't think there is anything wrong with a little bit of regulation when it comes to dangerous substances in certain cases, but prohibition is outright stupid.

I had a look at your site and am kind of weirded out about the mentioning of some guy getting forced to drink 10 Four Loko whatevers and then getting sodomized with a baseball bat. Are you suggesting that Four Loko is some how responsible for those anti-gay attacks?

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you really dont need to spam that link in every single post

9. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

Think Drink's concern is the youth. No one said anything about prohibition. Even if, for example, there was prohibition on alcohol and energy drinks being made into a single product, someone could always just pour the two from separate bottles into their mouth and swish it around.

The http://thinkdrink.com mission is to limit the reach of these alcospeed drinks to children via marketing restrictions as well as energy drinks and energy shots in general being given an age limit for purchase.

These are dangerous drinks for kids and right now, a ten year old can walk into a 7-11 and buy three monsters, go outside and chug them — even though the label's say "no recommended for children."

10. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

I'm not spamming the link, I'm just trying to be up-front and transparent about my passion with Think Drink.

:2thumbsup:

11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

so youre just here to keep repeating yourself and re-posting that link?

12. Lostthoughts

Lostthoughts Thostloughts

where the hell are you at... I used to love the blue ones, but I havnt seen any of them in about 2 years.. :( (and ive been looking)

13. Duck

You did:
    Blue is the best! Tastes like popsicle. I get mine at RiteAid (for 1.50!), but they don't restock them often enough, and I rarely get to have blue :bigcry:

14. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

Alright, by ban the drinks, I mean ban them to minors. Apologies for misspeaking.

Gosh, you guys also like the taste of these things, I guess there is a lot of work to be done.

Does anyone know of any energy drinks that are actually good for you? Like any healthy ones (or at least ones that claim to be healthy)?

Thanks

15. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

No BBAD, I'm here to have a conversation about the energy drink epidemic and see if people have related causes they are protesting. :sultan:

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

im protesting the unnecessary repetitive use of links :2thumbsup:

17. Lostthoughts

Lostthoughts Thostloughts

have you ever had one..? believe it or not, not everyone uses them like a drug. In fact, almost everyone I know (middle schoolers aside) just drink them like they would soda..

18. Duck

Monster Nitrous seem sort've healthy to me, as far as energy drinks go. It's got a lot of B vitamins :2thumbsup:

And as far as the taste, they aren't all as nasty as Red Bull

19. Hippie McRaver

Hippie McRaver Senior Member

The National Institute of Recreational Drinks (NIRD), wtf is that? some shit you made up?

also NIRD, ha ha ha spot on.

Anyway yeh, fuck you why dont you go fight something worth fighting.

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

I think you only panic if you drink them things..