Don't panic but an energy drink epidemic has been declared.

Discussion in 'Protest' started by LenoraNunez, Nov 1, 2010.

1. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

With the public interest firmly in mind, there is a new threat to America: the energy drink epidemic.

I’m sure by now you are aware of theFour Loko catastrophy in Central Washington University. Are you also aware that gangs have usedFour Loko as a weapon of rape? Or that careless energy drink representatives havekilled healthy, active, minors?

My organization, Think Before You Drink has been fighting energy drinks for quite some time. We are communicating with the FDA,Join me in petitioning the FDA, in the hopes that they ban the drinks. However, a bigger issue looms. In the new energy crisis, the role of energy addiction cannot be ignored.

We must think before we drink: http://thinkdrink.org/

The National Institute of Recreational Drinks (NIRD) has released a new study documenting the dramatic increase in cases of energy drink abuse. A large majority of Americans are at risk. An epidemic has been declared.

The study required that 200 patients at the NIRD’s Wisconsin campus involved abstain from all energy drinks for 24 hours. The patients were then asked to write about their experiences in a clinical survey. Their feelings were comparable to those of drug and alcohol addicts seeking sobriety:

"…describing their feelings when they have to
    abstain from using energy drinksin literally the same terms associated with drug and alcohol addictions: In withdrawal, frantically craving, very anxious, extremely antsy, miserable, jittery, crazy."

I spoke at a conference exclaiming, “massive use of energy drinks is an epidemic that rivals the 1980 cocaine crisis. Young adults are using at such extreme levels that before they’re even aware of it, the energy-user has developed a profound psychological and physical dependence.”

I urge my fellow parents to band together and petition for the removal of energy drinks in all schools. We must take pro-active steps in saving
    our youth from this terrible epidemic. The day I see a child drink an
    energy drink in elementary school is the day I lose faith in our future.

We can’t let this happen. :bobby:

Sign our petition to: Margaret Hamburg, M.D. (FDA Commissioner):
    http://www.change.org/petitions/view/think_before_you_drink_stop_the_energy_drink_epidemic_together

:2thumbsup: Please join me: http://thinkdrink.org/

2. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

Guys, I present this video that our Southern California team put together on Venice Beach of a afternoon on alcospeed (Four Loko & Joose) gone wrong:

YouTube: http://bit.ly/Joose-Projectile

Facebook: http://bit.ly/Four-Loko-Projectile

Today, in addition to voting, I hope people who are interested in this cause help get out the word that energy drinks are dangerous and that we should reexamine their sale to minors.

:mickey:

3. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Banned? Who the fuck are you to tell me what I'm allowed to drink?

It's meth in a can, so what? Anything can be bad if you drink like an asshole. Why don't you write a petition to ban people from abusing things? Like government control of fucking beverages...

4. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Yeah, if I want to drink them then I will.

5. pr0ne420

pr0ne420 Senior Member

Meth in a can? Wtf? Thats totally not true

6. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Careful with them though. Fuck this banning drinks bullshit but they will fuck you up! lmao

Two will give me a wicked hangover, and that's very rare for me.

7. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

Fucking hell it's not! hahaha

8. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Well, yeah they're not the healthiest thing in a can!

But, every few months there is something new in the papers about things being bad for you. Everyone has to die one day.. and there are worse things out there!

Grapefruit even gives you cancer apparently...

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

lol...this is the last site anyone should pick to tell people to lay off the "juice" :D

10. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

If anything, I'd petition the FDA not to listen to your nazi ways :)

11. spexxx

spexxx Member

I recommend Cocaine Energy Drink. 3 and 1/2 Red bulls in one can. Almost gives me a heart attack every time but it's quite uplifting.

12. Sam_Stoned

Sam_Stoned Senior Member

They taste like shit!

13. spexxx

spexxx Member

Lmao can't argue with that but they do do the job.

14. Duck

This thread made me want energy drink, so I sent my sister to the store with enough to buy us each a Jolt :D

15. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

http://thinkdrink.org is a site with a clear mission to make energy drinks less appealing to youths and to report on the epidemic that is sweeping our country right in front of everyone's eyes.

Despite the alcospeed "doing the job" to get people messed up (a right of theirs), these drinks are targeted at young, and often under-age drinkers, who are unaware of the added dangers from the energy-drink factor.

Additionally, energy drinks themselves are marketed as a care-free way to pick up a boost, when in reality there are many health risks and cases of death involved with their use.

Someone needs to remind people to Think Before They Drink energy drinks, alcospeed, energy shots, etc.

Because right now, they are sitting next to the candy at the convenience store.

16. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

No, they're sitting in the refrigerator at the convince store by the beer & fortified wine, at least in Virginia. Don't know about in Da Bronx. Are energy drinks really that bad a problem there? Relative to, say, crack & heroin?

17. LenoraNunez

LenoraNunez Member

18. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Yes, those of you who will down anything might want to check the ingredients before you down more than one of these drinks.

People on this site might like to "party" or "get high" or whatever you want to call it, but the smart ones always know what they are putting into their bodies and how it affects them, short-term and long-term.

They are now combining unhealthy levels of different stimulants in these drinks, without testing long term effects on people.

And then there are all the OTHER things ppl consume in addition to these drinks including more foods with SUGAR, caffeine, etc. and perhaps one or two prescription or illegal drugs to top it off. Do you have any idea what you are doing to yourself if this sounds familiar?

Your body cannot cope with such an onslaught, and yes people have DIED due to these energy drinks, much less adding more to the mix.

At the very least you are damaging your internal organs and nervous system. Look at how it makes you FEEL. Not when you're buzzing, but when you come down. Keep it up and one day you'll feel like that all the time...

On a positive note, I've noticed more of the energy drink companies getting into better quality, healthier and often organic ingredients. There's a whole range of energy drinks now so do read the labels and find ones that are less damaging.

19. Duck

For the Orange Burst Jolt I'm drinking:

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, taurine, citric acid, natural flavor, caffeine, sodium benzoate, glycerol, ester of wood resin, yellow #6, guarana seed extract, panax, ginseng root extract, pyridoxine, hydrochloride, niacin, calcium pantothenate, red #40, thiamine hydrochloride, riboflavin

20. skip

skip Founder Administrator

Starting with the HFCS (high fructose corn syrup), which is nasty stuff that no one should consume with a high correlation to obesity and diabetes.

caffeine - You know all about this. These drinks usually have 3-5 times the usual amount of caffeine in a cup of coffee.

guarana seed extract - Another stimulant full of caffeine. Linked to seizures, weight loss, possibly heart issues.

Panax (Gingseng Root) - Another stimulant. It's supposed to have a lot of good properties too, but who knows when combined with so many other stimulants?

That's the main problem. They do try to add some vitamins to replenish those lost to the stimulants so you don't go to pieces. But long term use or too much at once is definitely a health risk.

I hear they are now combining these energy drinks with alcohol... How dumb can people be?