Don't Keep Guns In Cars

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Motion, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Xyzobomb

Xyzobomb Members

There's lots of things we could do years ago that we can't now but buying a gun won't solve them
    Stricter gun control. Stricter enforcement of gun laws. Much harsher sentences for gun crime. You have to change the way you think about your gun culture.
    I know this is not the full answer but small steps.

2. sherman march

sherman march Members

I have a relative who is a police officer and he says whenever burglars break into a home one of the first things they look for to steal is guns. They are a quick and easy sell for the burglars. And surprisingly most people who keep guns at home don't lock them away but leave them out in plain sight or someplace easily accessible like a bedroom drawer or closet where they can have quick access to them if someone is breaking into their home at night. The one room in a typical home where burglars rarely think to look for anything to steal is the bathroom. So you would think a gun owner would hide their gun in a bathroom but that rarely happens. Whereas the bedroom is the first or second place burglars look .

3. Xyzobomb

Xyzobomb Members

Think that's what I said sticker laws, stricker enforcement of laws and harsher penalties. That includes current laws and any new laws.

4. lion1978

lion1978 The King

Okay I live in a place with extremely strict gun control laws, and let me asure you that there are plenty of crimes as well as gun related deaths so your equation is really no right, it's simple but it's incorrect.

Just to correct you a pistol is a semi-auto weapon, also lots of rifles are semi-auto, unless ofcourse they are bolt action rifles.
    I can agree with you that there is no real need for full auto guns, except for the fun factor that some people seem to have, but in a practical sense there isn't a use for full auto with the exception that if you happen to be an army going to war.

Eric! and Donnee like this.
  5. Xyzobomb

Xyzobomb Members

Obviously the laws you have are not working. Agree that there is probably corruption and that needs sorting out.
    Until we get to a stage where people know the laws will be used, the punishment on them laws will be used and are a deterrent to make people stop and think and also make prisons a place where people don't want to go. Not the glorified holiday camps some of the are now. We will not get anywhere. That is all over the world not just usa.

6. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That’s an idea, but I’m not sure that it’s a “good” idea. If something was to happen and I needed my weapon as soon as I got back to my car, a disassembled weapon is totally useless. I would suggest locking it up in a carrying case that could be kept in the car.

Donnee likes this.
  7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

the real problem I see w/ keeping guns in the car is our propensity as a society for road rage behavior. When there aren't guns in the car, we sense we've been slighted and almost every time we retaliate in one way or another - some people are passive aggressive and the response is a measured disinterest, others tend to race the contender, or cut everyone off and speed into the distance. There are a million variants, but the fact that appears to be similar in all cases is that there's something done to correct the offending action - whether it's done to the offending party or not.

With a gun in the car even the staunchest gun control opponent can probably see the problem - there's a possibility that the gunowner will lose his grip, and with his priorities now deeply ingrained in rectifying some perceived injustice, he may point his gun, & worse he may shoot!

It's possible too as has been pointed out that the weapon might get stolen from the vehicle and repurposed for armed robbery or worse, but it seems like the danger for someone to shoot at other drivers is all too real.

8. Eric!

I totally agree with you- this is why I strongly believe that everyone who intends to carry a firearm, keep it in their car, have weapons at the house - solely for home defense- ALL should be required to attend a concealed carry class. You get educated on do’s and don’ts on carrying concealed weapons, state and federal laws on use of firearms, weapon safety, weapons familiarization and qualification, etc.
    I think this certification should be mandatory for having a firearm in any capacity (concealed carry, open carry, hunting) - period! You’re held to a higher standard as well as held accountable for careless actions, like brandishing your weapon to “warn” or as a form of “posturing” which is what punk-asses do. A certification requirement will at least make people feel a little easier that people don’t just have guns- they are also responsible gun owners.

Donnee likes this.
  9. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Agreed. Makes sense. Cars are potentially dangerous and require training and certification (license). Why not guns?

Donnee and Eric! like this.
  10. Eric!

Exactly

11. Eric!

Ask her why exactly she wants one, first.

12. Maccabee

Maccabee Luke 22:35-38

Not even our Canadian neighbors goes to such extremes as banning all guns. In fact, you'd be hard pressed to find any western nation that completely bans civilian gun ownership.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    Eric! likes this.
  13. Maccabee

I'm getting a car safe so that way when I go to a gun free zone, I can lock my gun up.

Eric! likes this.
  14. Xyzobomb

Xyzobomb Members

OK don't ban gun ownership. Just ban carrying guns around in cars or on your person. Guns should only be used for sport,hunting or by the armed forces including police to protect citizens. You can keep ONE gun at home to protect your family and property. There is no other reason to have a gun and certainly non to walk or drive round with one.

15. sherman march

sherman march Members

the "glorified holiday camps" type prisons are mostly reserved for non-violent white-collar criminals. most crimes committed by people using guns are automatically classified as violent, and are sent to regular state prisons, which are definitely not holiday camps.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

The second amendment is a crock of shit; a legislative fossil left over from a time when the U.S. had no standing army and a musket had a firing rate of four times a minute
    Your racism is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  17. Xyzobomb

Xyzobomb Members

OK I'm probably comparing usa prisons to UK prisons.
    I don't just believe peisoners should get items that I would class a luxury item. PlayStation, xbox, television, gyms etc. Take a lot of these things away bring back hard labour and people will start to think twice about breaking the law and getting sent to prison.
    Security should also be stricter to stop drugs, mobile phones etc being smuggled into prisons. But we are back to corruption again

18. lion1978

lion1978 The King

Then here is is the challenge/problem, How do you take your gun out for hunting or sports shooting, if you aren't allowed to carry it?

19. Xyzobomb

Xyzobomb Members

You are obviously allowed to take a gun in your car if you are going hunting. You would need a special licence and a secure lock up in the boot (trunk ) of the car.
    The same for sports shooting or you could keep your gun securely lock up at your shooting club so you wouldn't need to transport it.
    Just takes a bit of thought and common sense.

20. Maccabee

Again, you'd be hard pressed to find a western nation that limits gun ownership to one gun. Israel is about the only country that does it, but they also have a draft and get to take their standard issued weapons home. Not to mention there's a collector's permit that allows you to own more than one gun.

As for "no reason to carry a gun," there's actually plenty reason. At the lowest end, there are 100,000 yearly cases where guns have been successfully used to thwart a lethal threat. Often times those cases was when the person was out and about. Not only that, you don't know where I live and what I do for a living, so who are you to dictate what I need or don't need?