Donate to this hospital!!!

Discussion in 'Protest' started by LaughinWillow, Jun 5, 2004.

1. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

:)

I rarely see the Oprah Winfrey show, but happened to be at someone's house a couple days ago, and it was on. She had a female doctor on who has dedicated her life to performing free surgery on young women in Ethiopia who have a condition caused a "fistula" due to long labor and excessive pushing during childbirth (usually because the baby is stuck). Because these women have no medical care, they develop a hole in their bladder and walk around dripping urine and waste constantly - the usually become social outcasts because of the terrible smell. This doctor, who was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, performs surgery for free and gives these women a second chance at life, marriage, and children. I was so moved by this story, and inspired by this doctor - I wanted to encourage anyone who cares about women's issues around the world to donate whatever you can - $1, $5, $1000, whatever. It's easy - you can do it with paypal.

You can read about this issue at www.fistulahospital.org - really really really inspiring!