Doing bad things

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by TheChaosFactor, Jan 21, 2005.

1. TheChaosFactor

TheChaosFactor Senior Member

does not make you a bad person, and vice versa. I'm a horrible person but I do soooooo many good things. I know this doesn't make sense to most but look at it like this. There are really good people out there that have good hearts but sell drugs or steal from stores etc etc. They do bad things at times, but their heart always stays in the right place. They are very caring, loving, understanding, helpful, selfless people. I find myself to be the opposite. A bad person who does good things :confused:

What do you think? Do you think that doing good/bad things makes you that kind of person, or is something more prominent and underlying in your personality and personal decisions what makes you a good person overall?

(yes, I know I said I wasn't posting here any more, but I'm drunk and really want responses to this)

2. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

a person's actions dont make them. a person is neither good nor bad.

however, although actions dont make the person.... after a while actions start to change the mind and hence can make the person.

all of this can be changed though- and usually isnt one or the other.... but both "good" and "bad" to once. one cant exist without the other.

3. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

A person's actions is what is good or bad. You could do something good and then turn around and do something bad. Sounds more like a confused person.

Why does someone do "bad" things? What would be considered bad? Is the person mean to other people? Is the person just trying to seek attention? Maybe their confused or have been misguided.

People can change. It's not fair to label them "good" or "bad". Labels suck.

Now that I said that I called peacefuljeffery a mean person. I don't even know him but I strongly disagreed with the way he was speaking to one of my forum friends. I should not of said that to him. He could be a very nice person and I was wrong for being just as opininated as I felt he was being.
    Jeffery if you read this...I'm sorry.

4. TheChaosFactor

I love your signature peanuts. I wish I would've thought of that when it was time to make quotes for the highschool year book ;)

5. Peanuts

Peanuts Nutz

Thank you. I don't know where I got it from. My husband had it for one of his signatures.

6. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Why do you think you're a bad person?

7. OSF

OSF SeƱor ******

Circumstances.

8. TheChaosFactor

I'd rather not get into that. :&

9. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

Oki dockie, but then don't expect me to believe that you're a bad person. :D

10. peacefuljeffrey

peacefuljeffrey Senior Member

I think that whether a person is "good" or "bad" comes down to the moral weight of the thoughts they have, internally. It's a very ambiguous, nebulous thing, not possible to quantify. The question can be raised, "Do bad people know/think themselves to be bad, or do they think they're just as good a person as anyone else?" Sort of the way just about everyone you might ask will swear to you that they're one of the most competent, skilled, safe drivers on the road -- but you know how bad most of them actually are! :p LOL So I wonder if people are the same way about whether they're "bad."

Why is it you call yourself a bad person? How do you figure you can be a bad person but not be doing bad things?

I think that if you believe you're a good person, chances are that either you are a good person, or believing you are makes you be a good person. I myself think I am a "good guy" (as in "white hat") -- I believe in and work for good. (Yes, I know I bitch out on here, but I'm talking "helping-stranded-motorists good; turning-in-the-wallet-with-all-the-money-still-in-it good...)

They say that you have not sinned if you have thought about sinning but haven't actually done it. I don't quite agree. If a sinner contemplates the sin, WANTS to do it because that's what is in his heart, but doesn't do it because of the standard reason -- fear of getting caught -- then he is still a sinner/"bad person." So I don't agree that "actions make the sin." It's about what you feel inside yourself, and if you truly feel that you act on the side of "good." Kinda like a superhero. If you idolize and worship destruction, chaos, greed, meanness... then you're a bad person. If you idolize and worship helping, loving, friendship, constructiveness, peace, then you're a good person.

-Jeffrey

11. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

There's no black or white, it's all based on circumstance and cultural beliefs. People's actions are their own. HOWEVER, that said, people do tend to base their opinions about others on what they see. So...if you do things that the majority would agree is bad (like killing puppies or eating babies) then you're going to get labelled a bad person.

12. TheChaosFactor

That's me in a nutshell, except I also return the lost wallet, and help stranded motorists. But when I see a really rich person.....You know, the guy that got out of the bentley and just pulled a roll out of his pocket. I'm ready to rob him. Period. He can afford to lose a few grand, and I could stand to gain a few grand. However, the fear of getting caught stops me. Or a crackhead. If I see a crackhead with a roll of cash, I have no problem taking it from him as he's just going to spend it on crack(that and I'm sure he st ole it as well). It's really circumstantial and rather 50/50 for me. I wouldn't steal from a poor family, but I'd steal from a really rich family. I have no problem helping the needy, in fact, I help them more than myself, but it doesn't make up for the meaner things that I do.

What if you idolize both? You just exerise them at different times based on circumstance?