Doesnt Fredo mean Dumbass?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

He's using the term "racist" broadly, to include ethnic slurs against Italian-Americans. Are you expecting us to believe that wasn't involved in the epithet? Really? If somebody called me Tonto, I'd take it as a racial slur. What's the difference?

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

it's not really broad to include ethnic slurs as racist. the problem is in pretending that random terms that have nothing to do with ethnic slurring are ethnic slurs.

why? has anyone ever used tonto as a racial slur?

3. Are you native American, okiefreak?

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Yes. Chickasaw--mostly.
    In this case, I think calling a man named Cuomo "Fredo". a character from the Godfather, is presumptively an ethnic slur--like calling Elizabeth Warren "Pocahontas". I find it hard to believe that anyone could sincerely think otherwise.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

But that's the thing, they're human and I dont really think their reactions are dickish, I think they're perfectly normal human reactions to constant harrassment from fans and paparazzi. No one is "on" 24/7 but celebrities are expected to be.

For some reason I have a lot of empathy for the attention celebrities get in public lol, I think it's because I hate running into people I know when I'm just out trying to take care of my business. Being famous and having people constantly approach you like they know you? I would definitely be known as a standoffish, stone cold bitch of a celeb haha

Driftrue likes this.
  6. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I was looking at a magazine rack while in the train station recently, and there are all these headlines on the gossip magazines about relationship break downs and cheating and all this crap, and I've always hated that stuff but going through it myself at the moment made me feel it much more intensely.. Like, I'm dealing with all these bad feelings, and if on top of that there was this knowledge that half the population are making entertainment out of my pain.. It seems almost inhuman. Sick. Displaying a void of basic empathy. It quite upset me actually.

Meliai likes this.
  7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Horribly written post, with the tenses and structure, but whatever.

8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I never heard of “Tonto” as a slur toward natives. He was a character from Lone Ranger. It was my impression that “Injun” was the nasty slur for Indians. I don’t like that word at all and I’m not even Native American.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I agree, it's pretty gross society expects celebrities to give up all rights to privacy.

I would hate it. I'm glad I'm not famous

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

so if you're going to make fun of someone for being the unsuccessful brother, you need to stop and think of a famous unsuccessful brother that happens to be of a different ethnicity than the person you're making fun of, or else it's racist?

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Yes actuly

I guess it did not last like ****** or have the punch but in a pre civil rights America it was a not nice word for natives.
    Often said when calling them savage or drunk. And like most slurs we had white people who said it was not racist since they did not find it upsetting. "It's just a name" they said.

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

well if it's a word that has been used as a racial slur, then i can obviously understand seeing it that way. i'm still not convinced that anyone has called someone fredo and meant it as a comment on their race. maybe they have, but i haven't heard it and it doesn't really make sense to use it that way when there's actual anti-italian slurs out there.

13. unfocusedanakin

A slur is what people decide it is.

Do they feel it puts their people down? I hear Fredo and I think they are implying Italians are stupid like the character. It seems to have done it's job. The insult is made and people feel they can't see it as an insult or been seen as PC.

PC is the worst thing some people can be now. It offends their whiteness.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

shouldn't intent come into play though? i don't think i can just decide that you're racist because you said "people" a bunch of times in your post and i have suddenly decided that "people" is a racial slur against me. if somehow you meant for "people" to be a racial slur, then yeah, it was a racist comment.

i'm aware that it's kind of a stupid example, but it should get the point across anyway.

15. unfocusedanakin

It's up to the group in question to decide. Too often white people make that decion on their behalf. It's why for example we have a NFL team that is a slur. Why? White people who like the team say they are 1/32 Cherokee so on behalf of the tribe they are telling the real white people it's ok.

It's why now it's so upsetting to white people when things like BLM exist. THEY decided already and find it insulting we still discuss it.

16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

If you’re easily offended, you’re easily manipulated. The end.

17. lode

lode Banned

But if you're just trying to offend for it's own sake you're kind of a dick right?

unfocusedanakin and WritersPanic like this.
  18. deleted

deleted Visitor

I'm rinso white, I'm invisible..

19. unfocusedanakin

Might want to take your own advice.

Awful lot of things upset you as well. Like from people you don't know, people whose very life is an attack on you.

Okiefreak likes this.
  20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

SouthPaw likes this.