Does Western society need a healthier dialouge/discourse regarding our relation with death/mortality

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Dude111, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Theres this recurring thought of mine,that what if death isnt as big of a deal as we make it out to be and it was just a control mechanism to keep us enslaved to priotise safety and comfort over freedom and self actualisation?

Yes fearing death is a primitive/innate behaviour to some extent and I feel like it is weaponised quite a bit by society.

Makes sense as when someone threatens suicide they try and stop them!!

TRYING TO FORCE THEM TO STAY HERE!!

2. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A lot going on in this question, but I don't see any of it making much sense.

Our relationship with death is that each and every one of us will go the way of all mortal flesh. Death is our destiny.

There isn no more that need be said about it. We have no other relationship with it. It has nothing to do with Western Society. Cross the international date line in either direction, and death remains the same. Fear it or don't - a personal choice.

A common ancient Roman burial marker inscription was as true among the ancient Parthians or Chinese as it was for the Romans or Maya: "Hodie mihi, cras tibi." Today for me, tomorrow for you. Same for us today, North, South, East, or West.

Dialogue, discourse, fear, control, enslavement, weaponization? LIkely projecting an individual preoccupation and belief onto those around you. It's a common cognitive bias - society made me think it. It isn't so. These are your own ideas and inventions.

Sexwise likes this.
  3. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Ah man!!