Does weed mess up your immune system?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by jimi420, Jan 21, 2005.

1. jimi420

jimi420 Member

I havent heard of this from any one I just sort of thought about it because one of my friends is ALWAYS sick! and hes the biggest stoner i know. and also i just started smoking uhh 6-7 months ago? and i hadnt been sick in like three years and ive already been sick like 3 times since i started. coincidencE?

2. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

Smoke isn't good for anyone. any kind of smoke...

to say it's making you sick? doubtful, but i wouldn't say it's impossible

3. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

nah, smoking just makes you forget shit and misplace your keys.

4. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Senior Member

people say that pot smoke isn't is harmful as cigs, but that doesn't take into account the fact that people hold their breath with pot smoke in their lungs. See all that resin in your pipe? Yeah, that's right...that's your lungs.

5. Bob_Bong

Bob_Bong Member

I've heard of a procedure where they actually get down inside your lungs with a scraper.. and scrape out that tar shit that builds up on the inside.. mmm..

6. mynameisjake07

mynameisjake07 Banned

i think that weed might do this/any kind of smoke. I used to get sick about once a year before smoking and this year ive been sick 6 days already. Now im sick again and have to go to the doctors tommarow.

7. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I suppose inhaling any sort of smoke might temporarily weaken your immune system.... Depends on the individual though probably, I used to smoke constantly, weed and cigs, but still rarely ever got sick, maybe once every two years... :rolleyes:

8. humandraydel

humandraydel Member

Yes, smoking can suppress your immune system a bit. But so will drinking. Or not eating correctly. Not exercising enough. Not enough sleep. Too much stress. Yada, yada, yada. I'm sure you get the point.

humandraydel

9. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Studies are mixed. Some show decrease in immune system strength, some show an increase. I'd guess there is not much of an effect from marijuana, it's probably something else. And the studies do show that the decrease in immune system strength is temporary, probably true for any increase.

However, smoking may help with a person's mood and stress levels. We know that constant bad moods and/or high stress are definite immune system suppressants, so since smoking reduces bad moods and stress (at least for a while, probably with residual effects), one could argue that it does help the immune system

True that it's not healthy to hold smoke in your lungs, but the damage done is to your lungs, not your immune system.

10. PhluffHead 4

PhluffHead 4 Member

I've only been sick once since I started but its probably different for everyone.

11. jimi420

jimi420 Member

thanks for the info. im pretty sure its just a mix of coincidence and me always snowboarding out in the cold.

12. PokeSmot

PokeSmot Member

Smoking makes you more succeptible (spell check, idk) to shit like bronchitis and colds and that shit.

and if you're a cig smoker then you're prolly standin outside with a cig for 5-7 minutes, and if its cold, then thats fuckin ya up too.

13. snelio37

snelio37 Member

does the crap that sticks to your lungs ever come out?

14. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

in teh end it doesnt matter, caus i smoke lots of weed and i barely ever get sick except maybe a sore throat which is fixed by strepsil. and same with other stoners i know. then there are others who get sick a lot. its the same with people who arent stoners!

15. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

If anything it helps it, I haven't gotten sick in the last 2 years, about the time I started smoking. I think it's just a coincidence though.

16. TrippinBTM

TrippinBTM Ramblin' Man

Of course. All the cells lining your bronchial passages have little hairs (called cilla) that push the mucus (with the tars in it) up the tubes to your throat, where it's either swallowed or coughed out. (thank you high school bio!)

That's why regular smokers (weed or tobacco) often have a "smoker's cough" and even more occasional users may wake up the next day feeling phlegmy and needing to cough.

17. PokeSmot

PokeSmot Member

if the shit came out everyone would smoke.

18. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

eheh yeh, in the end, most of it stays in you, i mean how often have you coughed up black, tarry flegm? well, i dont know about you but i never have and ive never seen a smoker do so either.

anything left in the lungs long enough, however, which is in a liquid form, will be ingested by the lungs eventually

19. Jon

Jon Member

I'd have to say yes, being in the UK and only able to get crappy soapbar hash (And no you wouldn't smoke it either) I gave up smoking full time nearly 2 years ago, I go over to Amsterdam 3 - 4 times a year (I love being so close) and nearly everytime I get a cold near the end of my trip after doing some seriously heavy smoking, I've been in the summer so its definitley not the weather!

Jon :)

20. juggla

juggla Member

i hope the doctors will let me smoke the resin off my lings.