does this saying work in french?

Discussion in 'French' started by peep69, Sep 15, 2008.

1. peep69

peep69 Guest

Hi,

There is a saying in english that simply says 'fight like hell' which makes sense here but if saying it in french would it make any sense to french people whatsoever and how would you actually phrase this? thank you

2. Elmafio

Elmafio Member

fight like hell = bats toi comme l'enfer
    fight = bats toi (verb: se battre)
    like = comme
    hell = l'enfer

it doesnt make any sense in french

3. phillybarefooter

phillybarefooter Member

Lutter jusqu'au bout (?)

Lutter bec et ongles (?)

tuatara likes this.
  4. Renart

Renart Members

No, I don't believe there is a proper translation.

Feel free to prove me wrong tho. I'd love to know a way to make it work.

5. BeatrixPothead

BeatrixPothead Members

The "like hell part would be" comme le Diable." In French, as in Spanish or Italian, one would probably refer to the Devil rather than to Hell to indicate that the action is extreme.

Regarding the imperative form of the verb "to fight," it depends on the context. You'd use different French verbs that all mean "to fight" in English. For example, how you would say it would differ depending on whether you're commanding someone to do something to a bully in the school yard, on a bloody battlefield, or in a conference room during a budget meeting.

If you provide the context, and indicate whether the command is given to one individual or to a group, and whether they are familiar/subordinate to the speaker or unfamiliar/superior to the speaker, I or someone else here can give you a good equivalent in French.

In English, telling someone "fight" is the same whether you're saying it to an individual or to a group. In French, the verb has to distinguish singular or plural. It also matters whether the person(s) receiving the command are close relatives or your boss at work (to offer just two examples). Imperative forms differ not only in number but with the level of formal respect due the person(s) whom you are commanding. You would command your child using a familiar form, and an authority figure using a formal form. The situation may even call not for a direct order in the imperative mood, but rather a polite command in the subjunctive mood. How you would say it in French has to consider this.

I have to assume that you mean "fight like hell" as a command by you to another person or people. Your original posting requires some assumption. If instead of the command "Fight like hell!" you really mean for it to be part of a longer sentence such as "I had to fight like hell", then it's different still, and you'd be using an infinitive form of the verb. There's no way to tell from your posting.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  6. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Without a context, words are gibberish, which is why the dictionary contains many words, that lend each other greater meaning. Combined, words like "shit" and "head" mean something different, than using just one of them. Militant Atheists would like to claim ownership of the dictionary, as would many others, so you will have to consult with a bilingual lawyer, who is a cunning linguist.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
  7. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

You should have written English not english and French not french, as these are languages and languages are proper nouns.