Does Strain Matter?

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by sweetxcatastrophe, Jan 28, 2009.

1. sweetxcatastrophe

sweetxcatastrophe Member

When I smoke, I like..Iunno. First, I've got someone that gets my weed for me and we smoke together every single night. And I know how to tell if weed is decent or not (although if someone could post and tell me exactly what to look for I'd be much obliged. I know a little, not a lot XD).

Anyway, I never paid much attention to the strains. A few times I wanted to k now if there was something just so freakin' awesome about the weed, but usually I don't really care what strain it is...Should I care? I mean, good weed's good weed right? Or, as a stoner (which I would consider myself) do I almost need to learn the types and strains and shit?

I guess what I'm asking is this: is there any knowledge that I do need to know as a steady smoker to make sure I dont' get fucked up or something or am I ok with just my bare minimum of knowledge?

2. pushit

pushit One jive Motha Fucka

All I can tell you is that although bud doesn't have to be a famous strain to be good, it was obviously superior enough to earn a name. But if you wanted to bread to strains together that were shitty, you COULD make your own strain... But nobody would name shitty weed.

3. thered

thered Member

Good weed is in fact just good weed. Memorizing strains seems pretty unnecessary unless you're in a position to get a variety of them whenever you want. Named strains are usually the result of tons of hard work on the part of a breeder somewhere and are almost always phenomenal weed. That doesn't mean that unnamed strains are always inferior.
    It's pretty comparable to generic and name brand products you'd buy at the store. The generic always does the trick, and in some cases it's just as good or better, but if you don't know any better you can usually expect higher quality from the name brand.

4. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

there is a difference between strong sativa and strong indica, and it's an obvious difference if you try both, but it's subtle enough that many people can't tell which type they are smoking.

Past that though, you really have to be a connoseur to feel a difference between smoking 2 very similar strains.

but like i said at the extreme end of the scale, there is a difference, it's just not that huge. quality of strain > strain

you can have poorly grown white widow

or you can have the most bomb no-name stuff.

that's what matters more.

i don't ask what strain it is anymore, i just ask if it's good.

5. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

Word, strain names only matter if you are way serious into smokin, buyin, or sellin ganj, in my opinion.

I couldn't give a fuck if my shit was called purple nurple, as long as it's good

6. weallhumalong

weallhumalong Member

hahahaha i actually got some purps from my guy that didn't have a name so he decided to call it purple nurple

7. sweetxcatastrophe

sweetxcatastrophe Member

That's usually what I ask. I don't ask, "What is it?" I ask, "Is it good shit?" So, if who I'm with can be trusted to answer that honestly, then I'm good, right?

Now, how can I tell for myself what's good and what isn't? Are there certain qualities?