Does Revenge Make You Feel Better?

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by tumbling.dice, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No... :neutral:

themnax likes this.
  2. A lot of times I'll accidentally hit the cue ball when I'm lining up a shot, and then just hit it really hard quick so nobody thinks I cheated. I never get anything in using this method, though.

Alonso376 and Irminsul like this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I at times do that. Not very frequently anymore though my biggest problem is my bridge hand goes unco when around a cluster and I sometimes touch the balls.

4. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

eh, it's not always about getting better. sometimes it's just fun to shoot at some balls with a friend. but, i also disagree that you won't get better that way. you can still figure out the optimal strategy, but then since you only have one ball left and your hopeless friend has all theirs, you go ahead and do something different. it's not like you're unlearning strategy just because you're not following it. and, you're still trying your best to make the shot. in your example above, you show that the best strategy is to hide the cue ball to fuck your opponent's shot. but, if i'm playing someone who will probably miss their next shot anyway, i'm just going to jump the cue ball right over that red ball to hit the yellow. i'm still practicing lining up the shot, and hitting the cue ball with the right amount of speed at a specific point on the ball. yeah, it's almost always a bad strategy to do that (and technically illegal in tournament pool i think), but i'm still getting practice and therefore getting better.

also, i don't know that i've ever lost to someone on slop. i'm used to bar rules, where slop doesn't count unless you're a girl.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I disagree. Complacency in your pool game inherintly creates bad habits. When you don't care as much about what you're doing and what who you're playing you will let bad habits creep into your game. Maybe you miss a formality in your pre shot routine maybe you relax your bridge hand too much and the next minute you aren't cueing straight at all. If you rush shots you might even start to stroke incorrectly and if you don't realise you're doing something wrong because your opponent wasn't good enough to compete, then you might find yourself scratching your head when you're playing someone better.

That's why it's important to play better people. They make you play at your best to compete. They make you perform or be more consistent and consistency wins pool games. :)

You don't have to care about any of that, but not caring doesn't make it any less true.

lion1978 likes this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think this is something humans are really stupid about. vengence doesn't end anything. deterance is a factor, but it isn't achieved by vengence.

games are another thing. they can be a harmless way to give the ego a lolly.

7. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Only when they all get banned from the original website after! ;)

[​IMG]

lion1978 and Candy Gal like this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

when trump is gone from office, i will feel a great sense of relief.
    it makes absolutely no difference, if he feels no pain in the process or if he does, just as long as america and the world is saved from what he is trying to do to it and to all of us.

Eric! likes this.
  9. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

Revenge is sweet but a dish best served cold.
    My tale of revenge which when I think about still fills me with joy.
    My neighbour from hell, screaming children, foul language, burning rubbish in his back yard, constant screaming rows between the adults, his car blocking my drive et al
    I spoke to him on a number of occasions only to be met with abuse and no remedial action from him. It came to a head when once again he parked across my drive blocking in my car when I had an appointment, I knew there would no point trying to get him to move, he and his beast of a wife didn’t get out of bed till lunchtime....I needed revenge!
    I waited...some weeks later his car, in my driveway..drivers side window partially open..my moment had come. My granddaughters sometimes stay overnight so various items of their clothing end up in the laundry basket...so a pair of Miss Kitty panties size 12 to 15 years was tucked under the front passenger seat. I didn’t actually see any blood or any physical attack but the screams from his wife when she obviously found them when getting into the car was a joy.
    Yes revenge is sweet...and we did move home

10. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Different how?

11. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  12. Alonso376

Alonso376 Members

I agree with you when playing a weaker opponent I just go for the clean up every time. Totally different way of thinking and playing with someone good. Jumping a ball is also against the rules in the UK.

13. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Yes, revenge makes you feel better. Mental health "experts" tell you that forgiveness is the answer, but that's only if the question is: are you a fuckin' wimp? Vengeance is a necessary prerequisite for forgiveness. Once you get back at someone who has wronged you, then sure, forgive them. But get your revenge.

14. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

They say that Revenge is a dish best served cold ...give it sufficient time and if, when the opportunity arises, one can make a judgement call if, to proceed.
    For many, It can indeed attain a level of satisfaction that other emotions cannot reach

15. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I learned BETTER pool from a guy that taught me to think many shots ahead, use your english on the cue ball to set yourself up for as many shots ahead as possible. Maybe most people do this? Many don't for sure.

Revenge depends on the seriousness of the transgression,IMO. Small things? Just another dickhead being a dickhead. Serious things? Watch out motherfucka!

16. When I would panhandle on the streets I'd always be sure to have at least a dollar in my pocket for the kickstart & whenever some one would say They didn't have a dollar, especially if I could tell that they were just being a tightwad, I would pull my dollar out & try to give it to them. You should've seen the looks on their faces

17. themnax

themnax Senior Member

we, or at least i, do not live in a universe that is about who, but one that is about what, why, and how.