does pot

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by Fractual_, May 20, 2004.

1. Fractual_

Fractual_ cosmos factory

help with meditation

2. MagnanimityMan

MagnanimityMan Member

ehhh. i'm no guru, but i do practice alot, and hold it dear to my heart.

many people think meditation is just losing yourself, and i have had friends who smoke alot of reefer and convinced themselves they are high yogi.

meditation is practicing awareness. aware.
    now... i've smoked quite the many joints in my day, in my today actually, however i truly feel that meditation is something you should do on a clear mind. first off, you get to remember any insight you come upon inside your mind.
    if you want a really good high, definitely meditate while stoned. you do climb inside your head pretty far, very far actually, i just dont think that you obtain the benefits of meditation sober, compared to stoned.

regardless, it's beautiful. smoking, meditation, smoking+meditation.
    peace and lurvee

3. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I have herd threw the years that a clear mind out ways one that is under anything.Though there are some who feel this to be not true if you look at the great meditators of the world all of them practice with a clear mind.Ram Das once said it like this,( When stoned and trying to meditate you see the alittle light but with a clear mind you you can see the sun.)Most teachers by far say a clear mind is the only way to practice meditation.

4. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Bah! Society casts marijuana as this cloudy mist of death over your head, under which you absolutely can not operate under any circumstances whatsoever. Frankly, I prefer to meditate high. I find my mind just as "clear" as ever. My thoughts don't race when im sober, and they don't when im high

5. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

I think you will be the one in the end that must make that choice.
    You might find that it hightens your meditations.try it and see what works best for you.

6. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Mediation and drugs just dont mix. It is not that it is branded as something that clouds your mind etc...Simple thing is, mediation is an attempt to rise beyond the barriers of the mind and of thought. Marijuana only stimulates thoughts andmind activities and thus is counter productive during meditation.

7. ericf

ericf Member

Hmm, lots of disagreement here. The worst part is that I agree with all of it. :p

Meditating with a sober mind is awesome and you will benefit greatly from it. And sometimes you will not. Sometimes you will soar while other times you are sitting on a cushin feeling stupid.

Meditiating high is awesome and you will benefit greatly from it. Then sometimes you will not. Sometimes you will have insights and emotions that change your whole life. Other times you are sitting on a cushin, with a dry mouth, wanting something to eat.

Not every experience is going to be the most enlightening one of your life. Explore and experiment with your own body and mind.

8. eccofarmer

eccofarmer Member

NAMASTE

Like i said you will have to see for your self.In my linage they do not mix.If you are trying to go internal then doing anything that is external
    would not be a help in your meditation.Like i said too look around at all the natural beings and teachers that there are.Not one does if they are a true teacher.Yoga if one form of meditation and there have you ever seen any
    bonafide teacher stoned or say that it is good to do.Just my thoughts.Look inside yourself and the answer is there.

9. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Meditating on marijuana can be said to be something which a yogi could do, but only after becoming stable in their meditation practice first. The real reason would be that one must know what is their naturally and unadulterated mental and spiritual state when free of all extraneous factors. Otherwise, if one only meditates when they are stoned then of what sort of refuge will that meditation be when they are straight? One is naked before they are clothed. Meditating in a sober fashion is being naked to oneself and meditating stoned is being clothed. Meditation is all about inner nakedness. One holds a mirror up to oneself, and like what they see or not, they must work through it all. It just won't do to look through the mirror darkly, or to look through it high so as to buffer what one doesn't like.

10. fire_eye1448

fire_eye1448 Guest

man has been smoking weed for along time. i think of it like a wrench or a screwdriver. they both have their uses. if you want to meditate while high i personally encoureage you to do so. on multiple occasions i have sat down in regular meditation while high and have been taken to new heights. i like to see if i can get to where i have been with marijuana while not on it. since meditation is for dealing with life better, i suggest that unless you sloke literally all the time that you meditate while not high more often than while high since one cannot be high all the time.